gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:13:42 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK ISP BT Announces Further Network Upgrades
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: UK ISP BT Announces Further Network Upgrades  (Read 1103 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
UK ISP BT Announces Further Network Upgrades
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:50:01 pm »
BT the one-time UK monopoly telecomms operator has announced further expansions of its fibre offering to 114 regions that didnt make it the first time around.

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=6B440E94-F7D0-4317-BAD8-7391B44783A7

I'm disappointed to note that my own region is still not on the list however its now crept nearer to me, a mere 5 miles away rather than the 25-30 miles away mentioned this time last year, hopefully next years announcements will see this gap closed and the following year a service in place I can make usage of.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Re: UK ISP BT Announces Further Network Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:19:25 pm »
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:44:56 am »
Cheer up mate  :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j8mr-gcgoI

Maybe if we play this to BT they might get the message  :lol:

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:13:15 am »
Lol, considering how much i like Pink Floyd, i should of thought of that :-D
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:40:17 pm »
An amazing piece of music that should live on forever, and ,,!,, to the cartel about copying etc
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 05:13:06 am »
It seems while the good news above is still fresh in the air and old argument has been reignited.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/15/jeremy_hunt_royal_television_society_broadband_digital_jobs/

Jeremy Hunt is fed up with BT's slow response to pressure from communications watchdog Ofcom and ISP rivals over the telco giant's pole and duct pricing plans that are expected to be revealed later this month.
In a speech the culture secretary said he was concerned about Blighty lagging behind other countries if the underlying infrastructure isn't rented out by BT at a reasonable cost to other comms providers.

"The process to reach a satisfactory conclusion on PIA [physical infrastructure access] prices for the use of BT’s ducts and poles is taking too long," he said.
Hunt said he would work closely with Ofcom on the matter. However, any intervention from Ofcom – which has previously warned BT not to set its prices too high – could take between a year and 18 months to work through the system.

"BT volunteered to open its ducts and poles to other providers last year and we have kept Ofcom fully informed every step of the way," a BT spokesman told The Register. The company has been trialling its duct and pole sharing plans with Sky since April this year – having invested £2.5bn to roll out fibre broadband to two-thirds of the UK by the end of 2015.

I find it a bit concerning a govt minister singles out a single company for his ire when other companies have been undertaking the same anti competitive activites and all have been dragging their collective feet to roll out fibre over the last 6-7 years so as to gain as much revenue from their initial broadband (DSL)  investment as possible. Lets hope they get the fibre laid, thats all most folks care about, who owns it is a matter that need not concern us as they all are forced to share such things by existing competiton legislation .

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 05:48:37 am »
...from their initial broadband (DSL)  investment as possible. Lets hope they get the fibre laid, thats all most folks care about...
* Silver Stripes looks at his dialup modem

at least the UK is getting somewhere .... id still like to see DSL roll in.... been wating for... um... i lost count...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:10:28 am »
I agree the whole matter is an embaressing disgrace Stripes, many of the larger US telecom operators actually get a federal subsidy to bring better connectivity across the US but for some reason no one audits just whats happened to this "infrastructure" funding as its well known many outlying and not so distant from poulation centre dwellers are treated to a near criminal minimal  connection speed, I can see why MX still has a place in your heart  :-D

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:19:00 pm »
I can see why MX still has a place in your heart

oddly enough... even tho insecure... the unencrypted data stream of the files themselves is actually a plus for a dial user since the modem can compress certain types of data... i can download a bitmap (.bmp) or other old 'bitmap' type file (.pcx .tiff .tga) at a 'whopping' 11kilobytes/second ;) (serial port doesnt go any faster than that) and things like metadata or container formats compress just as easily... the data in the container not so easy but eh... every little nybble counts esp if it got compressed....

opennap goes even faster since the entire protocol is unencrypted... (for example; uploading the shared file list travels at about 8KB/s over opennap vs 1KB/s on mx)

Quote from: wikipedia
V.44 is based on LZJH (Lempel-Ziv-Jeff-Heath) adaptive data compression developed by Hughes Electronics for its DirecPC satellite Internet, and incorporated into the v.92 dial-up modem standard. V.44 offers somewhat better compression performance for certain types of data than the V.42bis standard, on average allowing 15% greater throughput. For instance, a 53.3 kbit/s connection with V.44 can transmit up to 53.3×6 = 320 kbit/s using pure text. In reality, the overall data rate rarely exceeds 3:1 compression (~150 kbit/s). It should be noted that the compression tends to get better and worse over time due to noise on the line, or due to the transfer of already-compressed files (ZIP files, JPEG images, MP3 audio, MPEG video). At some points the modem will be sending compressed files at 53 kbit/s, uncompressed files at 160 kbit/s, and pure text at 320 kbit/s, or any value in between.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ITU-T_V-Series_Recommendations

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  UK ISP BT Announces Further Network Upgrades

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx