gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 19, 2024, 09:32:59 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft unveils its new Windows 8 operating system
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft unveils its new Windows 8 operating system  (Read 1919 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Microsoft unveils its new Windows 8 operating system
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:06:15 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14908568

Microsoft has taken the wraps off the next generation of its Windows operating system.

Windows 8 is designed to run on tablet computers, as well as desktop and laptop PCs.

Windows 8 has been designed to be used on touchscreen devices

The software, which is due to be released in 2012 will work on the popular ARM-designed low power processors for the first time.

Microsoft has been under pressure to come up with an answer to Apple's iOS and Google's Android platforms.

Unveiling Windows 8 at the Build developers' conference in California, Windows division president Steven Sinofsky declared: "We re-imagined Windows. From the chipset to the user experience."

The system will function through one of two interfaces; a traditional desktop, similar to that seen in previous editions of Windows, and a tablet version, known as Metro.

Metro features larger, chunky controls of the sort that best suit touchscreen use. The current lack of such an input method is widely seen as the reason why few Windows 7 tablets exist.

Microsoft said that it would also be launching its own online marketplace - the Windows Store - to sell downloadable applications.

Microsoft plans to offer Windows 8 Apps through its Windows Store

Chip changes

One of the biggest innovations for Windows 8 will be its compatibility with processors designed by ARM holdings.

Windows 8 has been designed to be used on touchscreen devices Chips based around the ARM architecture typically use very little power, and as a result are found in the vast majority of smartphones and tablets currently available.

To date, Windows devices have required Intel or Intel-compatible processors, with the exception of Microsoft's Windows Phone range.

ARM chips are likely to be predominantly used on Windows 8 Metro devices, and will require ARM-specific versions of applications.

The company has not given details on the chips that will be integrated into desktop and laptop machines.

Tapping into any section of the Windows market will be seen as a huge boost for Cambridge-based ARM Holdings.

The company faces growing competition in the mobile device sector since Intel launched its tablet and smartphone-focused Oak Trail chipset in April 2011.

Tapping into that particular market is seen as vital for hardware manufacturers, and software-makers, such as Microsoft, as the market for traditional computers continues to be eroded.

Industry analysts Gartner predicted in April that the global market for tablets would reach 70 million this year, and grow to 300 million in 2015.

Sales of desktops and laptops are expected to continue growing, but at a much slower rate than in the past.

And here I am only just thinking about getting a new desk top PC with Windows 7 on it.  :lol:

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Microsoft unveils its new Windows 8 operating system
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:34:48 am »
When my XP finally expires I'm going Linux  :yes:

Windows 8 is not really a quantum leap forward for consumers in my view but more a cash generation mechanism for MS and their partners as we all know how old software suddenly seems broken or annoying enough to get folks to dump it, but look to the future what are we really seeing that's taking over ?

That's right I don't see anything new either but hey its all glossy more expensive and bloated enough to use double the space and ram of the last version so it must be better right .... ???  ;)

Is it just me folks or are MS so tight still that they cant give away win98 or win95 to the poor for free, its a decent platform and many would still be able to use it for basic functionality and look to getting something newer when funds might be available, if they give it away they don't have to support it and folks can update it as we have seen with the service pack 2 made some years ago, just why do they play the all or nothing game, bill wanted the cash to buy another can of soup perhaps ?

Cheers from this cynic for your time folks  :lol:

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:20:54 am »
I still have a storage unit running a heavily modified version of 3.1  :oops: Upgrade for what? I think xp pro is as far as I am going still for a while.
I had vista on a laptop and I dont care for it....My girlfriend got a new laptop and has win 7 and I dont care for that format either.
I think your right GS, Linux is in my future too.   

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:35:51 am »
i wonder how much more "legacy" hardware support they removed in 8.... in vista the isa bus was removed (a cut down version of the driver exsists since one can exactly have x86 without isa in some form if even just traces on the motherboard or how one 'device' talks to another inside the same physical chip).. gameport (anyone else find it ironic an entire line of some very expensive 'microsoft' game controllers dont work with microsofts os?) & mpu401 from 7.... 32bit audio removed from both (24 bit only on vista and 7) agp support removed from 8 maybe? the 'AT' (ps2) keyboard port? floppy drive support? (seems win7 64bit has severe issues with floppy drives as is... even usb ones... guess that means the catweasel card wouldnt work too well with win7 either...)

for those who still want an 'xp like' platform after xp is cut off from security updates in 2014 rather than jumping to linux take a peek at www.reactos.com .... i dont see it reaching beta by 2014 but it doesnt hurt for them to keep doing what they are doing (F/OSS clone of windows NT) ....

just to note; non-pnp isa cards of any kind dont work without hacks in xp (tho they do in win2k) and its not possible to change the soundfont on the isa awe32 soundcard in windows 2000 and newer... which really sucks considering it was a 400$ soundcard when it was new (no im not kidding).....

blarg ... no use buying the latest gizmo when it will be little more than an item for a curio cabinet 2yrs later...

stick linux on that 10+yr old super socket 7 mobo with amd k-6 cpu and 783mb ram and i bet it'll still be running 10+ years later...

</rant>

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 01:21:51 pm »
you complaining about the price of the AWE32 soundcard...
bet ya didnt catch the first round prices fr SB Live! cards...

It does make me wonder what support the XP-Mode toy in win7 has, compared to its host o/s
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:22:34 pm »
for that matter, i wonder if Win7 Virtual PC can support win3.1...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 05:39:37 pm »
im not complaining about the price of the awe in as much as i am frustrated that support for it in windows is basically nill...

still works perfect in linux... ...btw i didnt buy it (actually i have 3 of them) new ... im not paying 400$ for a soundcard... lol...

i doubt 'xp mode' supports more hardware on 7 since i think it uses 7s drivers... VMWare could run win3.1 but again.. still using the underlying OS/drivers.... so i doubt that '8514' videocard is going to do much on a win7 system running win3.1 in VMWare ;)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 09:56:18 pm »
An interesting update here regarding ReactOS as mentioned by Stripes above

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14899507

A free, open-source Windows "clone" - ReactOS - that has been in development for over a decade has caught the eye of Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.
A student at a Russian high school the president visited recently gave Mr Medvedev a brief overview of the project - and asked him for 1m euros. The system's developers say it runs all Windows programs, but is much faster than its Microsoft equivalent.If it gets a financial boost, it could be usable in the near future, they add.

Contrary to Linux and other non-Windows operating systems, ReactOS is a community-driven international initiative that is said to be fully compatible with all Windows-based applications, programs and services

I think we will see some sort of funding initiative pretty soon as a mere million is small change to most of the presidents close supporters and the idea of earning a bit of national prestige for this small sum sounds like a bargain to me.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:24:25 pm »
Debian/Ubuntu. All the world needs. Wake up game companies!!!! Your keeping Bill making crap!!

Does anyone like the look of 8. I know its early days but it looks dreadful, and backwards comparability just to support a range of chips. As if 32bit and 64bit hasn't pissed us all of over the years now we have arm and Intel compatibility to think about....!
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 11:48:11 pm »
Debian/Ubuntu. All the world needs. Wake up game companies!!!! Your keeping Bill making crap!!

Does anyone like the look of 8. I know its early days but it looks dreadful, and backwards comparability just to support a range of chips. As if 32bit and 64bit hasn't pissed us all of over the years now we have arm and Intel compatibility to think about....!

you forgot slackware... must have slack! ;)

and ironically reactos already has an arm port... lmao... (actually with the source available it could technically be ported to quite a range of platforms that microsoft will most likely never support...)

and the look? well... i dont like the look of 7 let alone the look of a chunky touchscreen UI...
...and yay... another 'app' store.... are general purpose computers a thing of the past?

as far as cpu jumps go think how mac users feel.... motorola 68k (16 bit version then 32bit version) to powerpc then to intel and for iOS to arm... ...how many times was that to re-buy photoshop? lmao...

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 12:15:38 am »
I like XP Pro, and Windows 7 Ultimate. Vista was dreadful with all the problems updating to SP1, and other updates. Windows 8 looks like it would be great for a portable device, but I don't have any desire to put it on my desktop or laptop. Never the less I will try windows 8 out, and give it a far shot.  I just don't think it will be for me.  I like a few flavors of Linux as well. I've never owned an apple other than my iphone so I really can't speak for apple.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 01:36:47 am »

It does make me wonder what support the XP-Mode toy in win7 has, compared to its host o/s

I still love my SB hardware! Audigy 2 ZS has as much as I will ever use in a lifetime.

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 06:27:03 am »

I still love my SB hardware! Audigy 2 ZS has as much as I will ever use in a lifetime.

'soundblaster' is only a name anymore... it died when it moved from the isa bus and started using ensoniq and emu chips instead of 'in-house' designs.... ....that said those (ensoniq and emu) chips are damn nice....

http://www.soundtrackers.de/awe_without_frames.html

'AMP 3.0' is why i like my AWE cards so much...  (DOS will always have a place in my heart as the 'plaything' OS of choice)

....now if only i could find a gravis ultrasound.... (a demoscene favorite)

@Bluey and others; tidbit of oddball info.... the first SBLive! cards had a horrid unfixable 'resample' bug... it caused a ringing noise when converting the 44.1khz to its native 48khz in its own hardware ... the only fix was to have your software output a 48khz sample rate which ofc caused an unneeded/unwanted load on the cpu since the software had to do the resampling....

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 10:41:52 am »
I dunno if this is posted in the bbc article, i wont visit thier incase my head is filled with crap lol.

but you can download a developers preview of windows 8 here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 06:45:23 pm »
Quote from: microsoft
To run Metro style Apps, you need a screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or greater

er... wasnt win8 aimed at devices like netbooks and phones? 

imagine a smartphone with that res... iStrain anyone?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 07:31:33 pm »
gah! 'windows metro' is fully html5 based... 'active desktop' has been reincarnated and its coming back to haunt us again... this time as the full UI....

...that aside does anyone else get the feeling they just embedded IE onto the desktop (again) of windows 7 and slapped an '8' on the box? NT was technically designed to be ported to multiple systems (the xbox 360 is using the windows xp kernel on a powerpc cpu) it just hasnt been, on the desktop, since support for dec alpha was dropped in ye ole times... win 8 feels 'half baked'... but eh... thats ms for ya...

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 12:38:32 am »
 :vomit: Think i'll pass on that install.

I CAN HANDLE IT!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft unveils its new Windows 8 operating system

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx