gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 07:39:00 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Recording Industry Payola - Why The Traditional Charts Are So Full Of Rubbish
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Recording Industry Payola - Why The Traditional Charts Are So Full Of Rubbish  (Read 884 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
We all know the efforts the recording industry will go to in their efforts to get their 90% of the pie cut from an artists work and how they do their best to ensure some artists never get paid but what about their continuing anti consumer activities and just why we are forced to listen to sub par or "crap" music, some of you know why this happens already but for those of you who are new here this article explains the whole sorry reason read on please   :yes:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110916/03140815978/how-payola-works-today-why-you-only-hear-major-label-songs-radio.shtml

Over at the Tunecore blog, former Rykodisc President George Howard has a post up explaining how payola works today in the world of major labels and radio stations
And even though the labels keep getting dinged every decade or so for payola, the process never seems to change much, other than greater efforts to separate out the transactions so that the record labels can pretend that they're not bribing radio station employees, even though everyone knows that's exactly what's happening.

Getting a song “added” to a station’s playlist to get a certain number of plays per week involves independent promoters (“indies”). These “indies” are first paid by the label. It’s important to note that the money the indies receive isn’t necessarily compensation paid directly to them for getting Program Directors to get a song played. Rather, they work more like an intermediary to pass the label’s money to the radio station. These indies, with the money paid to them from the labels, pay the radio station money for various listener give-aways, bumper stickers and so on. To top it off, these very same indies are often also paid a second time by the stations themselves as a consultant to advise the stations on what songs they should play.

The majors are coming every week with money and new artists. Who would you prioritize if you were in the indie/radio station’s shoes?

I still reel from the idea that the recording industry get so many slices of an artists cake and hijack their rights in some cases forever, now this isn't meant to mean we should help ourselves to all and any work they produce but it does mean we should look at what can we as consumers do to support artists without giving anything to the fat cat money lenders who run the music industry, we all know their ears are pretty crap at talent spotting as they prefer the ching of their till above having to listen to the often mundane style of alleged musical creation we are forced to listen to on the radio, thankfully there are a few folks out there who are both inspiring and worthy of our cash so how do we reward them without forking out the 90% tax to recording industry trolls like Simon cowell who do little except soothe and massage egos whilst pocketing a fat slice of the cake himself, its no suprise he has a 100Million in change while most of those artists he has been involved with have less than 1% of that sum, anyway lets get back to the main of this topic just how can we avoid enriching such fat cats ?

Most of you already know that going to a live concert is the best way and a far more memorable experience that forking out for a 1 dollar hunk of plastic that's priced at 14 dollars, the second way is never to purchase "new material" always look at places like amazon and ebay where you can pick up bargains and still be making a point to the recording and rip off industry, some bands also supplement their revenues with t shirts and other band merchandise but in some cases this avenue is already staked out by the fat cats so do a bit of research before placing an order or directly purchasing for that fancy looking and reassuringly expensive social statement,

I like to feel little has changed since I started posting here many many years ago and in the main much has not but some things do over time change as artists wake up to the fact that they can at last be independent but its not easy without a powerful level of fan support and word of mouth is key to such business models so as always if you do enjoy an independent artists work seek out their website and look to see how you can support them and give feedback so others can get some idea of just what the band or artist offers that's worth anyones time, if I like an artist I will always get myself a collection of their plastic in the form of a few compact disks, these can be resold should the value of the disk go up for any reason the same cant be said of a digital download , physical will always trump fresh air purchases in my book, having seen consumers ripped off a few times now when the digital download provider goes into financial meltdown.

I hope this has given some of you food for though, lets hear from you if you have an opinion or something to say I haven't covered.    

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
Your bits of round shiny plastic are only fourteen bucks???!!!

Ohhh, myyyyyyyyyy, then we are being truly ripped off downunder, forking out up to $35 (yes, THIRTY FIVE!) for a top-20 album, and the B*^^%*)%d's dont do CD singles anymore

Even on one recent occasion i was bitten $32 for a rip-off el-cheapo label copy of a CD i wanted, with some tracks missing, no less! I suspect it was a substitute by the store cos they couldnt find what i found in 30 seconds, thanks to Google...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
I'm sure the exchange rate evens up that tallly a tad Bluey, whilst its a bit of a bee sting if your purchasing it new it does keep the fat cats fat and allows the artist to get about 5% which is then taken off any record compapy expenses thus leaving them with little to nothing until they "make it big"  :/

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
hehehehehe, Exchange Rates? hehehehehehehe,m if exchange rates was the ONLY factor, then hell, the price in aussie would be about $12 or $13, greenback is near worthless nowadays...

:D

Just remember that...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
It seems your right, 22.97 pounds equates to 35 Oz dollars, someones got their hands in the till me thinks  :suspious:

http://coinmill.com/AUD_GBP#AUD=35

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
But the top story quoted the price of a disc as $14.

Fourteen US Dollars?

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Recording Industry Payola - Why The Traditional Charts Are So Full Of Rubbish

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx