gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76781 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 July 27, 2024, 01:19:09 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  Ubuntu Linux UNITY WTF???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ubuntu Linux UNITY WTF???  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Ubuntu Linux UNITY WTF???
« on: October 17, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »
Ive just upgraded to ubuntu 11.10 and well i hate it. Now i know you can have it load up ubuntu-classic at boot up but having been using these things for so long i know that classic will no doubt fall away from bug fixes. As the ubuntu folks seem to love it. So its time for a change of distro is my mind. I run linux because i want a desktop with the power of a server under the hood. No hacks etc. But i dont want it to look like my mobile phone, swipe this; type that swipe again. SWIPE with a MOUSE!!!!! erm no.

Trolling over!!! -------->>>>> niceness follows

So where to go next
Ive installed Kubuntu, far to buggy and under supported for my liking ( my opinion! all google brings up is ubuntu rubbish, should of called it something else; blame google if you love it!!!!)
I installed debian KDE, as i really, really liked KDE. But it looked bugger all like the latest KDE, many many many versions behind lol. just didnt feel the same, but im not ruling it out. im sure someone might be able to tell me how to kick debian into waking up.

Im looking at fedora KDE atm, its downloading as we speak. Is anyone using it?

What are you using at the mo, as im a little out the loop with being so happy with Ubuntu since 6xxx something. Is anyone using linux mint? i like the thought of not having to learn all diffrent sudo/yum commands etc. But last few forums i seen are full of people saying its rubbish???

Please rescue me, as i have honestly burnt of windows 7 and server 2008. Its honestly that bad.....!
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Re: Ubuntu Linux UNITY WTF???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 10:42:12 pm »
since this is in winmx lyte

Mac OSX?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:44:00 pm »
slackware? (note: not an easy distro) ... i dont use a 'desktop environment' just use a window manager (fvwm) and the xterm console (often many at a time).... fvwm has a menu (must be hand edited) when right clicking the desktop so while a bit difficult at least there is a menu to start your programs with (twm for instance has no menu).... ...lowest memory footprint on a setup like this so you get more for your programs...

..this ofc assumes you dont mind an 'ugly' desktop and want a machine that does its job...

toads suggestion of osx is a good one.... if the price of the hardware it runs on wasnt inflated ... 600$ for 200$ worth of hardware is a bit much imo... (look into an interesting hack called a 'hackintosh')

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:51:15 am »
afterthought with no edit button;

CentOS might be another one to look into... its the free version of RHEL (redhat) only difference between the two is the name and that CentOS doesnt have a corporate that you can call for tech support.... its still .rpm based like the retro redhat so there is a package manager rather than needing to 'configure, make, make install' if you are uneasy with stuff like that...

also if you want to try other flavors alltogether look into an os called 'minuet' its written entirely in assembly and is so small it can be booted from a floppy yet still be a full os (desktop and all) ... theres also AROS which.. if youve ever used an amiga.. should feel a bit familiar...

look on wikipedia for open source operating systems... there are various projects out there ranging from 'alpha' to 'release' in completion ... bad part is usually the lack of software to run on them...

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 04:03:42 am »
You may also look into OpenSuse which I use to like, but a bit buggy the last time i tried it about 2 years ago. It could not seem to remember my root password which is very strange. I wasn't able to install any updates because of this.  Maybe this has been fixed by now.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline Will

• WMW Team
  • It wasn't me
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:14:00 am »
If your used to Ubuntu then I would go for Mint or plain Debian, otherwise there are plenty of other distros to choose from most as easy to use and setup as Ubuntu and you already have some good suggestions.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:40:29 am »
Yup i recall using centoOS too when i was picking my first distro. I only chose ubuntu because of its massive support forum. Im perfectly comfortably with make packages etc but it has to fall in line with a word processor and support for our printer as the other half needs to be able to use it for college(an me but i can use other means) and the kids bloody youtube lol. I also had picked ubuntu because it just always worked with my raid array. But to be honest i don't have half the stuff in and out on my drives now so it could probably be dropped and a mdadm software raid setup. Would be alot easier. Its just so disappointing ubuntu have gone the mobile phone look. Reading round though seems im not the only person that's bugged by this. Debain seems like a good move. Nylly loves the damn thing and i must admit after many hours of mucking about over the years a distro that i know works sounds appealing. Ill look into the one's mentioned and ill give centOS another look up. It was pretty new when i last looked at it and bombed my server out, not good when im in the UK and the server is in germany :ugly: lots of support tickets. My journey continues  :walk:

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 02:52:08 pm »
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/24/ubuntu_end_of_days/

Come accross this before, proves how I felt about the unity interface.

Nobody wants their PC to look like a tablet. If they wanted that they would buy a tablet lol.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:25 am »
arent OSX lion and windows 8 doing the 'tablet' thing too?

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 06:40:36 pm »
yes windows 8 is doing the same, but they will offer a desktop setting that i have no doubt will work, i know Ubuntu is doing the classic mode too but it seemed buggy as hell to me. And it looks like they have forgot about KDE, couldn't even get it to install properly.

Ive got Linux mint their anyway. I got one things to say about it. Its bloody amazing. But im also enjoying being back on windows 7 for change. Fished out some of the old games lol.

But yes, Sorry canonical, im done with Ubuntu probably for forever now. And next time server is do a decent refit by me, it will be gone of their too. I just cant work out this need to make everything look like your bloody phone. unless where going to see the market suddenly flooded with mega cheap touch LCD screens?? but i still wouldn't want one.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  Ubuntu Linux UNITY WTF???

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx