gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 06:58:30 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  EMI sues whole country...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: EMI sues whole country...  (Read 1260 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
EMI sues whole country...
« on: January 12, 2012, 03:29:36 pm »
...i had to read this a couple of times before it settled in that it was infact real...

http://torrentfreak.com/emi-sues-irish-state-for-not-implementing-piracy-blocking-provisions-120112/

After failing last year in its attempt to force a local Internet service provider to block online piracy, a major record label is now taking on a much bigger opponent. Yesterday, EMI Records filed a lawsuit against the Irish state for not fulfilling its obligations under European law which would otherwise allow for the “blocking, diverting or interrupting of internet communications” which breach copyright law.

i guess after mass torrent suits the next step was whole countries.... .....

WTF?!?!?

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
Re: EMI sues whole country...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:38:35 pm »
Can somebody confirm that EU law supercedes Irish Sovereign Law?

There may be a dangerous breach of 'Point of Law' here...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:41:47 pm »
more...

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/01/music-industry-goes-for-the-jugular-sues-ireland-for-every-euro-its-got-left/

Frankly, it seems a bit absurd that any creative industry could sue a government over something like this. If EMI were to win, with Ireland in such a dodgy financial state, they could take the entire country down — that’s just plain ludicrous if you think about it. Considering the EU, including little old us, has sunk quite a lot of money into trying to keep Ireland afloat, for EMI to take it out now would be nuts. Take Ireland out and you might take out the Euro too. Wow, a lot of people would be pissed.

picked that part of the article to quote cos its.... got one hell of a point...

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:25:21 pm »
 :P Nice opportunity for A government take over..... Sounds to me as if EMI wants to become its own country. If Ireland looses and they cant fulfill the obligation, EMI could go for assets, like land, buildings, historic treasures and so on..... Wow, this story just blows my mind.

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:12:39 am »
EU law actually supports the privacy of the citizens in its member states so I cant see EMI gaining anything here and with many groups hopefully putting up a fight (something that didnt happen before because of a back door deal with an ISP), I feel EMI is simply trying to wave the big stick and about to lose miserably.

PS: all states in the EU can cite sovreign immunity should they need to, that protects the state and its functioning.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:46:23 am »
I hope that the politicians and bureaucrats everywhere will finally begin to see just how pathological the people who run these labels actually are, and stop dancing to their tune. For a label to even put such an idea on the table demonstrates just how evil and ruthless they are to have their own way at the expense of anyone else. Governments around the world would do well, instead of facilitating what the cartel wants, to start putting curbs and restrictions on their rights.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  EMI sues whole country...

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx