gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 12:03:49 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Wikipedia Blackout: Websites Wikipedia, Reddit, Others Go Dark Wednesday to....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Wikipedia Blackout: Websites Wikipedia, Reddit, Others Go Dark Wednesday to....  (Read 1508 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Wikipedia Blackout: Websites Wikipedia, Reddit, Others Go Dark Wednesday to Protest SOPA, PIPA

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wikipedia-blackout-websites-wikipedia-reddit-dark-wednesday-protest/story?id=15373251

Do not try to look up "Internet Censorship" or "SOPA" or "PIPA" on Wikipedia, the giant online encyclopedia, on Wednesday.

SOPA and PIPA are two bills in Congress meant to stop the illegal copying and sharing of movies and music on the Internet, but major Internet companies say the bills would put them in the impossible position of policing the online world.

Wikipedia's founder, Jimmy Wales, now says his site will go dark for the day on Wednesday, joining a budding movement to protest the two bills.

"This is going to be wow," Wales said on Twitter. "I hope Wikipedia will melt phone systems in Washington on Wednesday. Tell everyone you know!"

Other sites, such as Reddit and Boing Boing, have already said they would go dark on Wednesday. And some of the biggest names online, including Google, Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr, have vocally opposed the proposed legislation.

too bad google doesnt have the balls to do this.... that would get a LOT of ppls attention....

imo the english wikipedia should move to a hosting service in a country where SOPA doesnt apply... ...so if it does end up getting blocked then only the US visitors will be affected...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
well... was moreso looking for a complete blackout (google search not working at all) but this will still get attention at least :)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
Google, the Web's top search company and one of technology's most influential powers in Washington, will post a link on its home page tomorrow to notify users of Google's opposition to controversial antipiracy bills being debated in Congress.
source c|net

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
Looks like Google.com has done a black bar doodle that links to a page about sopa/pipa. Wikipedia blackout is already live.

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
My website is blacked out for US visitors only today. Might as well do my part.

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
After reading pages of comments from average people all the way up to top CEO's, I think it's fair to say these bills have gotten a tremendous amount of attention and I think it's safe to say they will not pass. I dont even think a filed down version is going to pass. I put my money on the bills being thrown out of congress.
The best Comment I read so far was something like " KILLING THE INTERNET TO SAVE HOLLYWOOD "

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline Will

• WMW Team
  • It wasn't me

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
MPAA: Internet Blackout is a PR Stunt, Users Are Corporate Pawns

http://torrentfreak.com/mpaa-internet-blackout-is-a-pr-stunt-users-are-corporate-pawns-120117/

It’s official. The MPAA went off the deep end.

MPAA CEO Chris Dodd just called out Wikipedia, Reddit and all the other sites that plan to go dark tomorrow for misleading, abusing and punishing their users.

Or should we say “corporate pawns.”

wtf? is this chris dodd fellow from planet claire or something?

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
These sites gets used at the best of times... I bet they havent even asked these sites to give the stats to them to see how many people use them in a particular day.

Many of us use these sites to just get basic information... I would like to know if these people dont than... I am pretty sure they do not have a life.

Winmx is on them and they supply the history of events that has happened over the years. That sort of information would not normally be in the history books.....

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Facebook Releases Anti-PIPA / SOPA Statement

http://torrentfreak.com/facebook-releases-anti-pipa-sopa-statement-120118

The MPAA, meanwhile, continues to try to spin today’s protests.

Yesterday they called it a PR-stunt, turning Internet users into corporate pawns, and earlier today they claim the blackout “fails to enlist big sites.”

Right…

...think they have figured it out yet and are putting on the denial face for PR reasons or are they still in the dark on this..... ?

the MPAA/RIAA ... the turds that wont flush...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Wikipedia Blackout: Websites Wikipedia, Reddit, Others Go Dark Wednesday to....

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx