gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 03:22:43 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Google must pay $660,000 for offering Google Maps for free
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Google must pay $660,000 for offering Google Maps for free  (Read 1223 times)

Google must pay $660,000 for offering Google Maps for free
« on: February 05, 2012, 06:02:59 am »
A Paris court earlier this week ordered Google France and its parent company Google to pay plaintiff Bottin Cartographes 500,000 euros (about $660,000) for providing its free mapping services to businesses across the country. The court also required Google to pay a 15,000 euro fine for its practice.

"We proved the illegality of (Google's) strategy to remove its competitors," Jean-David Scemmama, attorney for Bottin Cartographes, a company that provides mapping services to businesses, told the AFP in an interview earlier this week. "The court recognized the unfair and abusive character of the methods used, and allocated Bottin Cartographes all it claimed. This is the first time Google has been convicted for its Google Maps application."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-57370274-17/google-must-pay-$660000-for-offering-google-maps-for-free/?tag=cnetRiver

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Google must pay $660,000 for offering Google Maps for free
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:59:32 am »
wha..... huh?? www.mapquest.com was around offering free maps when google was just a search engine...

france loosing map-selling-to-tourist money or something?

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:31:45 am »
it's possible to do a lot of neat stuff with the google maps / google earth api

illeagle, pffft, it's a change in the structure of the industry and the scale of the players, just like there has been in most other industries.

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:14:30 pm »
This is A huge blow! This changes things drasticly! Opening this kind of door is horrid for everyone......

*CE sheds many tears for the the thought of loosing Google Earth

In my line of work I use Google earth and Google maps daily to look at roofing projects to get an idea if the job is worth my time. Otherwise I have to spend lots of money and time going to these places to have a look!
Quick! everyone take as many Google earth screen shots you can and load them on the Yacy ship!
The Google ship is sinking fast captain! Aarrrg!

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline cuttingedge

• Forum Member
  • I will gladly pay U Tuesday, for a hamburger today
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 01:21:00 pm »
Has anyone any idea what Google spends or has spent to sentd their photo cars around the world to give us street views of every road, house, corner, road sign, ect... in the world????? I bet A Billion... And gave it all to us like a christmas gift unselfishly. 

I CAN HANDLE IT!

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:42:28 pm »
To me it's like Starbucks suing someone for loss of revenue for giving away free coffee. It's become a very strange world when someone says, "Hey, people shouldn't have free things; I'm trying to corner the market and make people pay me for what they get!", and get away with it.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 06:16:25 pm »
Horrible horrible anti competition and free market ruling, a fucking disgrace!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Google must pay $660,000 for offering Google Maps for free

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx