gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 02:11:54 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  WinMX Compatible Clients  |  How's the primary side of the client going?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How's the primary side of the client going?  (Read 22367 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: How's the primary side of the client going?
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 03:25:34 am »
"and while we are in the process of annoying users lets add a flag of some sort indicating that the user is firewalled in the search results so we can all heckle err... avoid them..."

DAMNED good idea!!!

*facepaw*

hopefull future versions will make use of TCP PSH (push) UDP and other 'snakey' methods so that users dont have to worry about being firewalled... ...so long as the client forces a secondary connection on those users anyway... (ares does this...)

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 06:55:33 am »
Is the source code to MxSniffer available?  How long would it take for a proficient programmer to make it  Windows 7 x64 compatible? I like to create my own blocklist, but I mainly use Windows 7.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 12:19:08 pm »
and as far as the flag goes... sure... as long as setting it is optional...

and i will be honest when i say that richy (/rcukillroom) rubbed my fur just a little the wrong way when he said to make it like (phonehome) chat.net .... granted the chat.net author apologised for his gaffe...

Er what do YOU mean?  I think you have totally got your wires crossed!

Offline Ace

• Forum Member
  • Every new creation is the sum of old and new.
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 04:47:54 pm »
a flag of  were your at/from  would be easy  to do as   county/regon  is all ready in setting { for part of the hops }  so adding a flag to  whois can be done with litte effect

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 05:53:01 pm »
short memory?

and as far as the flag goes... sure... as long as setting it is optional...

and i will be honest when i say that richy (/rcukillroom) rubbed my fur just a little the wrong way when he said to make it like (phonehome) chat.net .... granted the chat.net author apologised for his gaffe...

Er what do YOU mean?  I think you have totally got your wires crossed!

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=6846.0 -- sean apologized and immediately removed the feature... a good thing... ...interesting you compared it to microsoft in that thread... cos microsoft asks... this didnt...

while he did apologize and remove the 'feature' it did leave me not trusting the app..

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=7690.0.html -- no apology... just endless denial and arguing...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 05:56:09 pm »
Is the source code to MxSniffer available?  How long would it take for a proficient programmer to make it  Windows 7 x64 compatible? I like to create my own blocklist, but I mainly use Windows 7.

the mxsniffer doesnt work out of the box on xp either... needs some help.... whats it doing/not doing on your 7 box?

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 06:15:19 pm »
Stripes:
That was a different program, hense the different program name that Sean used.
WinmxPeer and Chat.Net

The suggestion was simply about GUI layout and styling.  Taking an idea which looked great from one program and using it.  LOL you don't use MX even, and don't see what people have done for the network, which is more than your suggestions and lack of actual effort have helped do.

Ace:
The idea was more languages spoken than the region markers used in the primary node packets.  The markers only state the region not country (could be changed in a new client) and would not be shown in the standard whois info anyway.  Would need an extra data type in the 4B42 udp packet and 138A sec tcp, as well as in the intitial 03E9 packet on connection to state which country you are linked to, and have it stored by the primary.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, 06:52:04 pm »
The flags appear in other programs (emule, bit torrent etc), I personally feel the only valid place for them might be in the chat room list to empower folks to build their own regional chat bases, at a pinch their usage may be stretched to the search results list to aid selection of the nearest download (in the hope this means a faster down/up speed) having them anywhere else is counter productive.

I once again ask folks not tp post any of the primary protocols, we have seen the damage such posting causes and I while we dont have a new client yet to roll out its a shot in the foot, as a developer Richy we expect you to know such information, the trick is to remember with such information comes responsibility.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 07:35:57 pm »
@richy; point is ... software from 'the rebellion' seems to have leaks... and regardless of what good it, or one of its apparently leaky mouthed users atm, have done.. the trust isnt there... tho i dont think you care about that part...

@gs; flags in chat and search i like... with text only 'languages spoken' in whois for further info... ...the likes/dislikes 'interests' suggestion by achillies is another idea i like... kinda sounds like what soulseek does...

note: im not mentioning other p2p apps for advertisement but for ideas to cherry pick from...

O

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 10:25:44 pm »
I noticed in the screen shots you guys had the same colors for resumable(yellow) and currently downloading(light and dark blue) files.I really hope you guys add a color for files that have been downloaded already to avoid downloading duplicates.This is something I bump up against often because I have a pretty extensive library and sometimes the same files will circulate under different file names.If I browse someone and the files i've already downloaded are green, for example, that would be really helpful.....just putting that out out there.By the way, I know you're busy working on the attacks and the replacement client, but is that a feature that could be made as a third party add-on in the meantime?Also, as file sizes are increasing that 2 gig limit has to go.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2012, 10:45:49 pm »
Hi O, welcome to WinMxWorld  8)

We looked into this feature when we sat around planning the new client and its not something thats too hard to acheive as all the files in a users library have to be hashed and this is the key to detecting duplicates, as the transfer and its associated display routine is currently being constructed this is a good time to remind the developement group of such a feature, a scan of each files hash in the search results and a comparison to the library & the incoming files folder should  fit the bill, its not on the top priority list but it is on the TODO list.

O

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2012, 11:40:57 pm »
That's good to hear.How soon do you think it'll be before the new client is out?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2012, 11:50:41 pm »
Its over due already  :(

Work is still going on every day, the two areas left to finalise are the transfers management and display and the secondary support side, major parts have been constructed already but of course thats no good to the rest of you unless its all finished and mostly bug free, I dont wish to put a date on this but it could be weeks or some months depending on coder time and good luck, I have no wish to make false promises and so I ask all users to bear with us while the rest of the work is completed to a releasable standard, when its ready we will be the first to let you know  :)

O

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2012, 12:31:40 am »
I've got my fingers crossed for weeks instead of months.I can't understate how badly I could use this feature right now, which is why I asked if it could be made into an add-on in the meantime, but I don't want to be annoyingly pushy about it, especially since I don't know the first thing about programming, so I have no concept of how difficult it would be, or how long something like that would take to make for the current winmx.I'm glad someone is working on it though.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2012, 01:19:40 pm »
the files-with-different-names issue is an ongoing hassle that we have all had to live with for years.

Whether it stems from idiocy or deranged amusement on the part of perpetrators is hard to determine, but at present, the foibles of the human race mean that it is an irritant we have to bear.

I too hate the feeling that you have just downloaded a file for the 4th time, with a 4th different filename. One such file was NEVER found in search listings with the correct artist name, but 4 versions ALL with the wrong name, and all equally desirable artistss material, so a certain filesize of just over 130mb nowadays invokes further caution
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2012, 02:52:29 pm »
O, I made a request months ago to add a feature in which all files in one's search results would be highlighted if they were already completed in the user's library to avoid downloading duplicate files. I was informed it would definitely be added to the new client, but maybe in a later build.  I believe everyone really wants to see this feature added so I'm sure it will be added at some point in the near feature. There's just some features we have all wanted to see in WinMx since it's development.  I believe this is one of them.

O

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2012, 02:23:28 am »
How many programmers are working on fixing WinMX?Do you guys do this for a living, or is this just something you happen to know how to do, and have taken it up in your spare time because you happen to be users of WinMX?How is it even possible?I thought the guy who made WinMX took the source code with him when he shut it down.Are trying to basically recreate WinMX from scratch?If I were a programmer, or could get one, what would I need/need to know to add this feature myself?How could I/whoever I get help restore WinMX to normal?

Speaking of which, why are they working on a replacement client.....to update it?Would it better to just fix Winmx?

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2012, 03:44:52 am »
There are a small number of community members who have the skill and knowledge needed to create a new client and a smaller number of these who are prepared to give of their time.

Winmx is a closed src program and the src is not available.
Bits of the protocols behind the network have been discovered over time which allow 3rd party software to be created.

Have a read through this page https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/wpn_attack_information_.html and some of the other tutorials on the site.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 03:41:41 pm »
Also nobody here is paid. We all give everything volunterily, the site server, the cache servers everything is provided by dedicated users at cost to themselves. Something often forgotten, their is no profit making here, you noticed any ads??   :-D
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 11:45:21 pm »
For the last 2 years I have not really cared if the new client's protocols were compatible with the old network. I just wanted to see a more secure client which could be improved without limitations as time goes on. The coding and research team could continually build upon and perfect the new client only being bound by their creativity and coding skills. So all I ever wanted was a WinMx style client that everyone could migrate over to. On a protocol level it would be a different network but in the same regards it would be the same network as well since we would still have the same users which is really what makes up a network.  Surprisingly the coders informed me this could all be done without breaking compatibility with the old client / network so hats off to them! They must at times feel like they have an overwhelming burden on their shoulders with so many people always wanting to know how much longer it will be before the first beta build of the client will be released. I for one really hope they are enjoying coding on the new client. I'm sure they chose to become coders because they discovered it was something they enjoy doing. They will do a much better job and it will all come so much easier if it's a project they are doing because of self interest.  I always do a better job when I'm working on something out of self interest, and not just to keep my boss off my back. So I would like to apologize for us all for the next time you hear someone say from a back seat, "are we there yet"!  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  WinMX Compatible Clients  |  How's the primary side of the client going?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 27 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx