gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 09:57:17 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Symantec advises disabling pcAnywhere software
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Symantec advises disabling pcAnywhere software  (Read 1474 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Symantec advises disabling pcAnywhere software
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:55:05 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16740153

Security firm Symantec has warned customers to stop using its pcAnywhere software.

The company confirmed that "old" source code stolen by a hacking group had exposed vulnerabilities in the remote access program.

An advisory note on Symantec's website explained how to minimise risks for customers who used pcAnywhere for "business-critical purposes".

Other software from the company is not at a heightened risk, Symantec said.

In its website note, the company said it recommended "disabling the product until Symantec releases a final set of software updates that resolve currently known vulnerability risks".

'Man in the middle'

"Malicious users with access to the source code have an increased ability to identify vulnerabilities and build new exploits," it added.

It said the vulnerability left pcAnywhere users exposed to "man in the middle" attacks - a security hole which puts data at risk of being intercepted.

An attacker could potentially gain remote control of a company's network and access sensitive information.

A Symantec spokesman said that fewer than 50,000 people used the standalone version of pcAnywhere - although the software was also bundled as part of other security packages.

It suggested that corporate customers who used pcAnywhere for business-critical activity should "understand the current risks" and "apply all relevant patches as they are released, and follow the general security best practices".

Blueprints

News of the source code theft emerged earlier this year after hacking group Lords of Dharmaraja - believed to be based in India - threatened to post it online.

Symantec initially said there was no risk to users as the stolen code was six years old, advising simply to make sure the most recent version of the products had been downloaded.

But the updated advice said the stolen material had included blueprints for Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition, Norton Internet Security, Norton SystemWorks (Norton Utilities and Norton GoBack) and pcAnywhere.

Of those products, only pcAnywhere is said to be at "increased risk", and users of the other software packages should not be concerned.

"The code that has been exposed is so old that current out-of-the-box security settings will suffice against any possible threats that might materialise as a result of this incident," the company reiterated on its website.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Symantec advises disabling pcAnywhere software
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:58:47 pm »
this is an excellent example of why F/OSS wins over closed source...

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:46:46 pm »
Symantec offered hackers $50k to delete stolen code in alleged "sting"
A hacker affiliated with Anonymous posted the details of negotiations with an alleged Symantec employee over payment for destruction of source code for PCAnywhere and Norton Antivirus. But Symantec's spokesperson says the negotiations were part of a sting operation to track the hackers, and that money didn't trade.
LOLFoxnews

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
  • Holder of the benign issue!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:48:31 am »
this is an excellent example of why F/OSS wins over closed source...

Preach it!! 

:thumbs:

Offline redredjon

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:38:04 am »
Strange how the Pcanywhere code got stolen way back in 2006 and it took almost 6 years for this whole thing to see the light of day.

Oh well, I don't use that Pcanywhere thing or anything else from Symantec for that matter and after this whole security breach stunt I'll be sure to skip using their products.Sure there are plenty of remote access programs that are more secure than this one.

On a little side note: I keep hearing about an audials anywhere program that's supposed to let you access your files anywhere or something similar and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's in any way related to Pcanywhere.

Wanna make sure I don't get tricked into using or even trying any of their products.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:15:29 pm »
http://www.tightvnc.com/

F/OSS (GPL) VNC (remote viewer) client/server...

the 'audials anywhere' of which you speak does not seem to exist... there is a program called 'audials' that for 60$ does the same thing that the open source (GPL) ffmpeg (VLC & mplayer.. among others) does for free...

are you sure you are spelling 'audials' right?

Offline redredjon

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:11:28 pm »
Hmm, well yeah I  think it was audials anywhere or something like that, not 100% though.

I was browsing for something and it caught my eye on some site so there's also a possibility you are right...That's why I was asking, made me think of pcanywhere for some reason.

I was under the impression it might be some sorta program for accessing files anywhere or some cloud service or something similar but anyhow more than what that audials program does. I also stumbled across it and checkout what's it for.

Oh well,  thanks for that remote viewer suggestion, looks pretty good. Suppose it does what I thought that audials anywhere thing was supposed to do.

Offline redredjon

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:32 pm »
Hey guys, just read some info on that audials anywhere thing I mentioned earlier.

It's got nothing to do with pcanywhere and remote access programs, it's some sort of personal media cloud or at least that's what they call it.

I also read that it'll come with some invitation based sharing feature, something like it lets you invite friends to browse your media collection and even save stuff from you to their computers.

Sounds pretty cool, though I dunno how safe that invite system really is. Anyhow it'll probably be a whole lot safer than any of those filesharing sites, if you ask me.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 01:16:37 am »
Any reason your using a proxy to post here Redredjon, I know many folks do but unfortunately its been my experience that when folks come here to do it trouble usually follows them, I hope your the nice guy you sound  :undecided:

Offline redredjon

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:35:30 pm »
Well, call me paranoid but I like to keep my browsing safe all the time.

There's so many nasty stuff floating around these days that you simply cannot be too safe online. :suspious: :suspious:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Symantec advises disabling pcAnywhere software

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx