gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76781 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 July 27, 2024, 03:13:36 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Shered files don't appear
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shered files don't appear  (Read 2957 times)

Offline mattchip

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
Shered files don't appear
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:44:07 pm »
I've been able to function reasonably well, even with the attacks, for awhile.  For the last month, though, my library shows the folders I'm sharing, but no files appear. It shows zero.  I've tried deleting and re-adding with no change.  I can't use scan for media because that only scans the internal HD's apparently.  There are approximately 15000 files that I keep on removable drives.  I've tried individual albums to make sure I'm not going over any limits.  I'm kinda scratching my head now.  Maybe someone has an idea of something I might have missed.
Matt

Re: Shered files don't appear
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 09:10:25 pm »
Are you using a USB external drive?
USB external drives aren't the best for sharing files, or any 24/7 access situation.
IIRC the USB bus only provides 5volts and half an amp.

It could be the drive's on its last legs.
If you replace it, make sure you get an external with its own power source.
I've seen externals with 2 usb connections to increase the power availability, not ideal but better than 1.

Have you tried a few different USB ports?

Offline mattchip

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:25:48 pm »
I'd wondered about the drive. Actually, I have different drives, primary and backup.  WinMX isn't seeing the files off of either one.  Itunes is reading them as well as Advanced MP3 Catalog that I use to keep track of them.  They're both USB drives, but I've never had an issue with them until now.  I've been playing with them more and it's very sporadic. On the backup, I can sometimes get it to read them if I go all the way down into the subfolder.  Very perplexing.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:57:34 pm »
run chkdsk on them

for instance if the drive letter is g: you would click start run then in the box type cmd on xp or start and cmd in search on 7... on the command prompt type chkdsk g: /f (or whatever the drive letter is) if it says that it cannot lock the drive because files are in use and asks if you would like to close the open handles answer no ... when it asks if you would like to check the drive on the next reboot answer yes... ...leave the drive connected and reboot...

...also a good idea for external drives is to sit them on a laptop cooler... depending on the size of the cooler you may be able to sit 4 or more on one...

Offline mattchip

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:23:18 pm »
Yeah, I've run chkdsk and everything shows ok.  Not really sure what else to look at. They run fine in every other respect, except that WinMX is not reading them.  All other apps run fine.  I was just hoping maybe there was a setting that I was missing. Hopefully, no one holds it against me that I show so few shares.
Matt

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:29:21 pm »
hmm... are you using 3.54 or 3.53 of mx?

Offline mattchip

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:53:22 pm »
I'm running 3.54 beta 4
Matt

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:03:40 pm »
im gonna guess this is on win7? if so close mx right click its icon select the compatibility tab and tick 'run as admin' then try again...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:26:39 pm »
I might have suspicions about iTunes or the Advanced mp3 Catalog applications doing stuff with your files.

I run Win7-64 Pro and have zero problems sharing 17,000+ files, altho the difference is i share from an internal RAID array, and i DONT let iTunes get anywhere near getting its grubby hands on my files.

As an aside, while travelling, i am working with a netbook and a USB external with only one USB lead plugged in and it still all seems quite happy, albeit using XP SP3
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:27:54 pm »
Stripes, Toad, could it be itunes or the other thing = DRM issues?
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:03:38 am »
itunes drm wouldnt keep the files from being shared (in theory) would just keep them from beeing seen as mp3s... only other way itunes would screw with them is if it had all the files 'locked' (can only be read by itunes) ... this would (read: should) go away if itunes were closed...

apple products dont 'act normal' tho... so um... yeah.. itunes could be causing problems...

Offline mattchip

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 02:25:02 am »
Found it.  The compatibility suggestion got me thinking.  Apparently, both main folders had somehow been changed to read only and hidden. Not sure, but I suspect the culprit is a backup program I installed a couple months ago.  Changed them both in properties and all my files are back in.  Also noticed I can't spell worth a shit. It's supposed to be shared files in the topic. Thankfully you guys knew what I meant.  Thanks for the help.

Matt

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 03:31:32 am »
Also noticed I can't spell worth a shit. It's supposed to be shared files in the topic. Thankfully you guys knew what I meant.

typo is teh language of the intertubes... ;)

good you found the solution :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Shered files don't appear

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx