gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 06, 2024, 09:21:41 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Please supply information on WInMX Crashing Here
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Please supply information on WInMX Crashing Here  (Read 13324 times)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Please supply information on WInMX Crashing Here
« on: December 02, 2005, 09:54:57 pm »
Many users are experiencing WinMX Crashing, these seem to be many versions of WinMX and patch type.  In order to find a solution we need anyone having this problem to please post answers to the following questiosn.

Please let us know any relevant details that may help us to help you, such as:
- If you are getting an Error please DO NOT SEND, however please take note of the details of that error, by clicking "show details". Saving this to notepad could prove helpful.
- Operating system (Windows 98/Me/2000/XP)
* Note please specify if you have SP1 or SP2 installed with XP*

- Internet connection type (DSL/cable/dial up(56k))
- WinMx Version (3.31/3.35/3.54)
- Patch and version or date of install.
- Secondary or primary user

- What make of firewall you have
- Router brand and model
- Any WinMx add-ons installed (Bots/Clients/Moni/Leechhammer)
- Any other applications or services running.

- Any results of scans you have done or changes made to the computer.
- Any Information you feel might be relevant to this problem.
- Any changes, updates, programs.

Quote from: GhostShip

We are not 100% sure of what exactly it behind some of the many crashes folks are having today but its been happening to many different patch users and different winmx versions.

What we do know is that a few of the caches have been down unexpectedly today including one of winmxgroups major ones, this could be a potential annoyance to older patch users as there are many who run off that one soley as it was the actual first one running.

We are not sure what has caused the caches to decide to flip and shut down but they will normally reboot after a set time if set up to do so by those running them.

There seems to have been other problems and with this in mind to be on the safe side its my advice to run Peer Guardian2

PeerGuardian 2 With Block List

As its always possible the recording industry lackies are at work also.

You will I hope appreciate that until solid data on the causes of any crashes is gathered then a general solution is not available, that said many users have had no problems, but even a small percentage is a lot of folks and so we will hold back a little on answering individual folks and spend that time looking for the cause of todays problems and a set of useful steps to help anyone affected.

Please make sure you have the newest patch of the type of patch you use and run Peer Guardian2.

Thank you all for your patience and we will be back with any news and advice as speedily as possible.

i_share_if_u_share

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:36:10 pm »
I am also having winmx crashing problem after several troublefree weeks. Windows XP Home Edition SP2 ADSL (BT) WinMX 3.53 with the .dll from the 1.9 installer(version 1.3?) Primary User No Firewall except for XP Firewall (and yes winmx included on exceptions tab and yes standard ports added) BT Voyager USB 105 modem No Winmx add ons Msn Messenger running( dont know if its relevant but 7.30 last night Messenger networks went down for a bit and thats when crashing also started also checked my hosts file had been unaltered which it had not but new Msn host file was there) Trend Micro Scan showed no virus/trojans some cookies deleted as spyware No alterations to PC have taken place No  new progs etc. Keeping my pecker up while I wait in eager anticipation for a cure and despite reading threads respectfully do not want to use Sherwood or Peerguardian. Thanks. Hope info is of help and keep up the much appreciated good work!

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 11:05:45 pm »
ok, I'll start:

Connection type: dsl (adsl)
Winmx version: 3.54
patch: https://www.winmxgroup.com/Install-1.9.exe (deleted old winmx, made a fresh install when it came out)
Secondary user at the time of the crash
Firewall: sygate personal pro
Router: Netgear MR814 v3
Bot: robomx 2.06 (patched) with metis 2.70test6
also running: eMule,  mIRC with UPP script, Firefox, Thunderbird, Explorer, Motherboard monitor, trillian, AntiVir guard,

The router has been installed last tuesday, been falling out of winmxworld room since then. Today I didn't fall out, instead winmx crashed (4 times so far).
I installed the patch (and winmx with it) again into a NEW folder, copied over my settings and it seems fine now but I keep falling out of the room again. Falling happens in your room only and with winmx much more often than with robomx also in the room. I saved the error message from the crashing, it is shared in winmx.

still working after about 2.5 hours so far...
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 03:46:04 am »
Okay folks many of the users that where experiencing the crashes are now just as quickly as they started, NOT.. and all is working fine.. this suggests to me either an issue with older patches or an riaa industry deed...

So if your working fine let us know here also and still give us your information if you dont mind..

RunAmok

WinMx 354 b4 crashes
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 05:20:19 am »
Running W/2000 sp4 on 500Mhz PIII system, connect via modem at 26.4 (best we can get here) as secondary user.  No add-on's, just the 1.9 install over 3.53.  Usually have Outlook Express running but minimized and often have Windows Explorer open viewing the dowload directory as well.  Pretty much a plain vanilla install, but get crashes within the first 5-10 minutes of trying to run two downloads at once.

thesongguy

Re: WinMX Crashes
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 05:23:28 am »
I'm not sure if my crashes are related to the ones detailed here.  But here's what I've seen.
Spontaneous reboots of my 'puter (starting 11-28) which I originally blamed on a hardware or software (not necessarily WinMX) glitch.
After the last of these (yesterday 12-1-05), I was unable to get into WinMX, I'd start the program as primary, the secondary connection count would go up to 5 or 6, starting before the primary had even 1 connection.  The program would err after 1-3 minutes.
Noting that the "settings.dat" file in the WinMX directory had a date/time of several hours earlier, I replaced it with a backup from a few months ago.

I restarted WinMX and haven't had a reboot or other error since (My "whois" shows 29:41:05 at the moment)

Generic PC w/AMD XP1800+, 512M RAM
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Comcast Cable Modem
CompUSA 4 port router w/appropriate port forwarding
WinMX 3.54Beta
DLL PAtch 1.9 (DLL dated 10-11-2005)

i_share_if_u_share

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 11:55:51 am »
Sure enough - no changes made to my system and WinMX seems to be back up and running normally - yippeeee!

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 01:35:50 pm »
Thanks everyone for the information.

TheSongguy,
I agree with you that you would be wise to assume the pc reboots are due to hardware issues.  Usually those are cooling issues with the processor.  I also think your WinMX may have been due to the WinMX errors and so you had two problems going on.  Be sure you check your cooling system out, and make sure you fan is running correctly.  A fried processor is not only a pain but is an expensive fix, a new fan luckilly is fairly cheap..

chris r

winmx crash
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 05:21:42 pm »
i cannot save the error data,  it wont let you save it   so  what information can i send  to fix this problem .. and where  do i send it >?

email me your reply at   legallava@aol.com

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 07:31:54 pm »
chris r,

Can you give me a bit more information on this at least.

What internet browser do you use?
Does any functions of WinMx seem to cause the crashes?
Have you tried to reinstall using the Install 1.9 from www.winmxgroup.com ?

What version of WinMx do you have currently?
What operating system do you have?

se7en

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 03:57:34 am »
dunno about this, though one thing i'm aware of that can quickly kill winmx is when one attempts to download particular faked files thinking that they're legitimate, then, if that download runs AFS automatically to locate more sources, the plethora of hash-matched results for the file returned by the network can cause winmx to crash instantly due to it being unable to handle such huge numbers of sources ( i'm not sure what the limit is as i didn't pay attention at the time i looked at this, though guess it's around 256 sources before the client will fatally crash, which is very possible when one queues a faked file ).

just one possibility to take a look at.

jfoc567723

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 11:52:41 am »
I just started having this problem today.  It was working fine yesterday.  I have the firewall turned off.  I've tried using a primary and secondary connection, I've tried changing my ports to 16699 and 16257 (?).  It just doesn't want to keep connected.  I am so disappointed since we just bought a new hard drive for our movies.  Any help would be great!  I miss MX!

What internet browser do you use?
Internet Explorer 6.0
Does any functions of WinMx seem to cause the crashes?
doesn't matter what i'm doing, it just crashes
Have you tried to reinstall using the Install 1.9 from www.winmxgroup.com ?   yes i have

What version of WinMx do you have currently? 3.54 beta 4
What operating system do you have?  windows xp media center

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 03:10:19 pm »
Ok can you take the following action please,

Open the command prompt window (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt ) and type in the following

sfc/scannow

This will scan your system for any corrupt system files and allow us to rule that out if it is not the cause (you will need your system disk handy )

Are you a Peer Guardian user ?
If you are perhaps you could send me the log of the few minutes before the crash as I can gather data from this and anyone else who has had the same problem please do the same (a screenshot will do if it covers the time of the crash )
We are looking for a common event and often its something that is normally overlooked but as the complaint comes and goes strangely I,m working on the theory of some external cause.

zapco

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 03:56:12 pm »
i first experienced my chrashing(s) yesterday at about 8pm est. There was msn messenger running along with system mechanic 6 pro and my freedom anti virus/spyware remover. I am currently using winmx v3.54 beta 4 with the 1.9 patch. I removed and reinstalled winmx and it connected fine but as soon as i click the chat button it crashes....that's what was happening last night and continued on today...12/29/05. I am using windows xp professional with service pack 2. I have a speed stream modem and dsl internet. no router installed. last crash occurred at 10:30am est 12/29/05, after reinstalling.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 05:47:24 pm »
Thanks for your info Zapco  :)

Can you confirm whether you had any up or downloads running at the time for me please and what ports you are using.
Are you running peer guardian2 also ?

If anyone here has a repeatable crashing error after doing the SFC as above then please install a connection logging tool to help rule in or out external issues.

http://www.freshsw.com/xns/pro/download.shtml

This one can log all connections and has many other useful options, but its for 2 weeks trial only, that should be long enough to find the problem I hope.
I picked this one because I use it myself, but any that will log the connection IP and port into a log will be fine.

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 05:55:52 pm »
Why not just set pg2 to log allowed connections as well?
The log will be a bit long of course, but it should only be till we have figured out what's wrong and most people have pg2 installed anyway :D

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 06:04:36 pm »
The Netstat tool allows folks more options such as what process is using the IP that I havent seen on PG2 so it would make the job of sorting instant messenger programs and other non-winmx traffic out a little longer and I was trying to save a few hours work..lol

Seriously though folks any logs are better than none, lets get the answer to this problem, then we can stop it happening again.

i_share_if_u_share

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 06:27:38 pm »
Specs stated in previous post. But sure enough as of this day's post date my WinMX has started crashing again after 4 weeks of trouble free happiness. No alterations done to my PC and no adware/spyware/trojans detected by TrendMicro thus leading me to believe it is something to do with the .dll or host.

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 06:45:51 pm »
Quote from: GhostShip

Seriously though folks any logs are better than none, lets get the answer to this problem, then we can stop it happening again.

Firewalls can also give you good logs if enabled - and I agree, netstat is the better program but hey, whatever works, right?

Offline dlc247

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 07:31:44 pm »
I began having WinMX crashes the evening of 12/28/05. Before posting I read some of the other users posts and am inclined to agree that folks from the darkside have been devilishly busy :evil: . These occurrences have their footprints all over them. The only difference in my routine was I visited P2P Revolution site and installed their mx hash app. which purports to filter fakes from searches. Immediately after importing several search results from that site I went to WinMX and in less than 5 minutes crashed. Since then its been one crash after another within 5 minutes of starting WinMX. I run Peer Guardian but haven't the know-how to provide a screenshot or file copy.

I notice that even though WinMX is not running Peer Guardian shows my PC under constant ongoing attacks that are the vast majority of traffic. Perhaps it's to be expected, but methinks  there's a spy amongst us. How else could they home in on its IP address after WinMX is inactivated or, is this normal and I'm just being paranoid?

Windows XP Home sp2
IE 6
Netgear #CG814WG Router
Zone Alarm
Peer Guardian 2
WinMX 3.5.4, Primary Connection
Patches: Winfix 2.5, MXpie Patch 2.8, Install 1.9

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Please supply information on WInMX Crashing Here

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.01 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx