gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 04:14:12 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  World's first 'tax' on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: World's first 'tax' on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7  (Read 1366 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
World's first 'tax' on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7
« on: June 15, 2012, 02:38:31 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18440979

According to Ruslan Kogan this is the world's first Internet Explorer 7 "tax".

The Australian online retailer Kogan.com has introduced the world's first "tax" on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) browser.

Customers who use IE7 will have to pay an extra surcharge on online purchases made through the firm's site.

Chief executive Ruslan Kogan told the BBC he wanted to recoup the time and costs involved in "rendering the website into a antique browser".

The charge is set to 6.8% - 0.1% for every month since the IE7 launch.

Every month the surcharge will rise by 0.1%. Too much effort
According to Mr Kogan the idea was born when the company started working on a site relaunch.

Mr Kogan said that even though only 3% of his customers used the old version of the browser, his IT team had become pre-occupied with making adaptations to make pages display properly on IE 7.

"I was constantly on the line to my web team. The amount of work and effort involved in making our website look normal on IE7 equalled the combined time of designing for Chrome, Safari and Firefox."

Mr Kogan said it was unlikely that anyone would actually pay the charges. His goal is to encourage users to download a more up-to-date version of Internet Explorer or a different browser.

Mr Kogan told the BBC his customers were very happy and he had received a lot of praise for his efforts.

"Love your IE7 tax. I hope it becomes effective" was one of the messages posted to Kogan on Twitter.

IE7 was launched in 2006, but since then Microsoft has released two major updates to the software.

The launch of Internet Explorer 10 is due in the autumn.

I would be very tempted to shop somewhere else.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
Re: World's first 'tax' on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:23:50 am »
I expect someone here knows the answer, though I do not: Why don't people want to move on to a later version of IE?

As for the site, I'd be inclined to put up a notice telling IE7 users that the site doesn't display properly and they should use something else, than to spend time tweaking the site to display properly on IE7.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:26:36 am »
Perhaps its something to do with the fact that instead of fixing any security bugs successfully they make the browser near unusable with eye candy features and in some versions hidden malware (WGA).

As a user of many old versions of software I accept some sites will not show up correctly, many sites using the popular wordpress plugins often have a malicious script in them to make the site not show at all, extremism of that sort is unprofessional and simply makes folks like myself more determined not to be bullied, shortcomings are fine, malicious bullying is not.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 04:22:32 pm »
IE7 has become the new 'IE6' of the web... but a literal 'tax' on IE7 users has got to be the stupidest way to deal with the overhead of supporting it ive ever seen....

@GS the 'site not show at all' thing can also happen without a script in IE7  and older ... ive seen sites load in a way that you have to scroll waaaaaay down cos IE got -really- confused about the parts it doesnt support... ...for an 'elder IE' test try using the unsupported (by microsoft) IE5 (or 5.5 doesnt matter) with microsofts own website... broken == very yes... sometimes unusably so....

now if only the dumbasses at MS would have made IE7 and 8 on XP look like version 6 instead of a 'lost in time' win7 app...  :/

and just for fun;

http://files.myopera.com/tarquinwj/albums/45511/2IE7.png   -- thats IE7 trying its best at acid2
http://files.myopera.com/tarquinwj/albums/45511/IE6.png -- thats IE6 ...

the nightmare of IE6 lives on in 7.... why do i say that? cos heres IE8; http://files.myopera.com/tarquinwj/albums/45511/3IE8.png

...no i didnt take those screenshots... they are from here; http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/acid/

note the version numbers of the other browsers it compares...

and for a little more fun; www.ie6countdown.com (this site is run by microsoft)
...out of curiosity... why has the uk fallen behind on this? i figured the uk would have been one of the first... what are you folks doing over there? (note: that site counts the use as firefox opera etc as 'non ie6 use' so the install of ie doesnt need to be updated for someones regular net use to 'count')

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 01:10:03 am »
apparently the popular view on this has changed even for those making money on the web..... ancient IE version 'hate' at this level isnt just a hobby site thing anymore... 

....still dont see amazon.com pulling something like this tho...

from; http://suite101.com/article/australian-firm-charges-tax-on-internet-explorer-7-users-a408809

Sympathy for Kogan's Position Amongst Website Makers

As someone who isn't adverse to a little web coding myself, I have tremendous sympathy for Mr Kogan's stance on the subject.

The last site that I created only had one page optimised for Internet Explorer. I created a link to it from the home-page, which explained to users of that browser why the site might look funny to them.

The fact is that it can take three times as long to produce a website for IE, as it does 59 other browsers. I tested it. I timed it. I decided that life was too short to commit that energy, especially when I have no sympathy for those still utilising what I consider to be an inferior browser.

I'm not alone in this sentiment. While geek sites like Techcrunch are downright gleeful in their reporting tone, support has been showering down upon Ruslan Kogan himself. Searching @ruslankogan on Twitter currently reveals a sea of congratulatory messages.

"You Sir are a hero," Tweets PatrickTaylorEdwards. Another message, this time from Eddies Football Blog, states, "If you are a web developer, or have ever worked on web projects, you will absolutely love this." He then links to a news story about it.

They are just two examples. Pages of Tweets go on, all calling Ruslan Kogan a genius or otherwise applauding his actions. There is not a dissenting point of view amongst them.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 03:19:33 am »
It seems there are many talent lacking sheep amongst those web admins, Nylly is able to offer a decent site here without too much effort being she is a professional, perhaps if those who want to tax IE versions learned their craft then they may not find it so hard to do the same.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 10:19:37 am »
theres a difference between 'talent lacking sheep' and those who dont want to write two different sites.. one that wouldnt look out of place in 2004 and one that uses newer functions/features to expand on the artistic side of things...

theres also the problem that things that can be done purely in css3 require javascript and browser sniffing to do in IE...

both the 'two site' and the 'fix for IE' options cost more...

i wonder how much nylly would charge a client to add hacks to a modern css3 design to work in IE6/7...

...i cant wait for acid4 to roll out...

http://css3wizardry.com/2011/12/18/ios-5-style-switch-control/
the look is mac specific... granted... but the example working version ( http://vxjs.org/switch.html ) isnt even functional in IE8 (IE9 i cant test) ... works fine in firefox (and every other browser) ... albeit it looks, rather humorously, out of place...

something like that doesnt have a 'graceful failure' when one goes as far back as the tech used in ie 6 thu 8... a second ie specific page is needed.... which costs...

honestly tho i do think this tax thing is a bit over the top but.... in the long run... even the simplest of things are going to be rendered non-functional in IE6/7

perhaps instead of a tax they could have just left the site non-functional for 6/7 users....?

more fun? go here; http://netrenderer.com/index.php select IE5.5 as your browser and feed the url for this forum to it... IE5.5 is just one (release) version back from IE6... ...how long before 6 starts doing things like that? 7?

it sucks for the end users.. but its how things are going... IE is getting left behind... the webdevs are tired of it and the customers that hire them dont want to pay to support it...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 08:21:47 pm »
They are not forced to support it Stripes, just leave it be is the option if a site does not wish to bother with IE6 etc support, what riles me as you know is malicious anti IE scripting and other tactics utilised by web bullies who have to time to whine but no time to work on learning their craft correctly.

So far I havent seen anything new in the browser market that says "get me", all the so called improvements offer little or nothing to me but most certainly make the advertisements appear faster and in further quantity, perhaps if they kept the design simple and dropped the "icons-instead-of-text" trend thats sweeping the market I might have moved on to something new but alas such common-sense browsers are either dumped or no longer supported as the advertisers place further burdens on sites to devote them further visibility and thus we are delivered less choice and less diversity of conformity to the holy grail standards folks are now demanding netizens adhere to.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 09:31:19 pm »
have you tried firefox with adblock plus? ... i havent seen ads in a long time... blank areas on sites that say 'advertisement' under them yes but no ads...

but then we probably dont  go to many of the same sites... can you give me an example of the type of site you describe?

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:22:01 pm »
Perhaps one could go the opposite way too...

A website that views nicely in IE8, 9 or 10, but detects other browsers and says F... Off

Thats my take one IE Bashers...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 01:23:53 pm »
IMHO, IE bashing is just another form of 'I hate Bill Gates cos he's richer than me'

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 02:53:36 pm »
IE bashing by devs is what happens when one 'goes by the book' (w3c standards) and the result works perfectly in everything but IE...

theres no reason for IE not to be a very competitive browser... except that its bolted to the OS...
the leaps made between IE 1 2 and 3 were impressive ... between 3 and 4 were too... unfortunately 4 is the first 'bolted in' version... so 4+ had to have their fixes/updates coordinated with the OS... cant just update the browser... had to update components of the os too...

an ideal situation (example anyway) in that case would have been.. when XPSP1 was no longer supported neither was IE6... IE7 was shipped with and completely non-removable from SP2... SP3 comes out and IE8 ships with... no choice but to go to IE8... drop support for SP2 and IE7 is dead... ....but of course make the browser updates keep the same UI... dunno wtf they were thinking with putting the vista look on xp....

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 03:31:02 pm »
M$ didnt put the vista look on XP... Vista was 'new', and Win7 is everything Vista should have been, but wasnt

But your idea of locking the version (and support) to the service packs holds merit

i guess the union between the O/S and browser is cos of shared resources, common-use .dll's and so on...

But now IE9 (or is it 10?) is just an update in mid-stream Win7, so, ostensibly, no longer 'bolted in'

Just remember that...

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 03:33:52 pm »
and as far as the 'tax' nonsense goes, like many, i simply wouldn't patronise, theres always someone else with a competing equivalent product

he might not like IE7, but he isn't helping his business, just his over-inflated ego

silly fool probably drives a mac-book air, hope he never wants to upgrade or repair it

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  World's first 'tax' on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx