gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 03:57:36 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  How Governments and Telecom Companies Work Together on Surveillance Laws
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How Governments and Telecom Companies Work Together on Surveillance Laws  (Read 2662 times)

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
When Americans are displeased with their politicians, they like to threaten to move to Canada. But if you’re tempted to move north—or even further afield—to get away from plans for increased Internet surveillance by the government, think again. Controversial new surveillance laws proposed in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Australia have quite a bit in common. And it’s no coincidence.

Over the past few months, authorities in these countries have separately been arguing the case for expanded power to monitor Internet communications. Changes could include making it mandatory for social networks and online chat providers to build in back doors for law enforcement eavesdropping and instituting so-called “deep packet inspection” technology to enable monitoring and interception of data.

The plans have prompted an outpouring of negative reaction, much of it centered on concerns about government invading Internet users’ privacy. But what has gone largely unremarked upon is the role played by little-known networks of telecom companies and international government agencies, which have been quietly collaborating to reform surveillance laws so that they are “harmonized” to a similar standard from country to country.

In cities across the world, groups composed of telecom companies and government representatives have met to discuss how to integrate surveillance capabilities into existing and developing technologies. The decisions they have made, largely beyond public scrutiny, could lead to a fundamental shift in the Web’s basic architecture.
slate.com

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
I have a friend who doesn't have a computer, doesn't want a computer and isn't interested in using one. When I read reports like this about the government and business forces lined up against the citizens I sometimes get discouraged and think he might have a point.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
problem is, in todays world it doesnt matter if you own a computer or not... your information is getting transferred over one... have a credit or debit card? checking account? been to the doctor within the last 10 years? ... the list goes on..

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
  • Holder of the benign issue!
problem is, in todays world it doesnt matter if you own a computer or not... your information is getting transferred over one... have a credit or debit card? checking account? been to the doctor within the last 10 years? ... the list goes on..

Yup.

I'll put on my tin hat for a second and mention that I wouldn't want a life without a computer for fear of raising government suspicion. 

Honestly though, we're all just a number.  I'm on somebodies watch list.  So is everybody here.   :suspious:

I'm on santa's list, I just don't know which one

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
I'm on santa's list, I just don't know which one

I'm on my own list at the moment.  Santa is a close second.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
Big Santa is watching you, to see if you've been naughty or nice.

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
Big Santa is watching you, to see if you've been naughty or nice.

I don't like the Big Santa.  Butthead only has one list.....

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  How Governments and Telecom Companies Work Together on Surveillance Laws

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx