gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 07, 2024, 11:31:46 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client Weekly Update
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Client Weekly Update  (Read 89201 times)

Offline achilles

• Core
Re: New Client Weekly Update
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 05:01:26 pm »
Exactly bluey! Its a great option to have when filtering sometimes hundreds to even thousands of useless search results. I use that option often on other networks. I also sometimes filter by .avi, .MP4, .MKV. etc.. instead of just looking for all video media types. The same can of course be done for audio or any other media type. I use filtering by file size most often. I will set a minimum, and maximum size to get an acceptable range I want returned in my search query's.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline crissy1227

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »
I don't understand all the tec talk but I have been using winmx for like 10 years and I try sereral times a day to get a list of channels but cant get any is winmx gone forever or will it be back?

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 09:54:12 pm »
The winmx community has not gone anywhere, it's just a bit harder to see at the moment.

Channel list can be got from http://winmxunlimited.net/tools/chat-room-list/ thanks to Josh's efforts.

If you have read this thread you will know that winmx will become easier to use

Offline crissy1227

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 10:34:45 pm »
Thank you I went to the site and copy/paste and there was my room been looking for weeks thank you again for info

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 02:00:26 pm »
Just a small update on progress folks as the proposed release date is speeding towards us.

First of all the not so good news, the release date will not be the one we proposed simply because we have  few staff here atm to assist in the release secondly Silicon has called a community meeting with the other stake holding/ support sites to set up a release strategy, this is common sense of course and we did the same thing with the community patch.

The development team have been working hard on the final module and made great progress but its still not completed fully however with the meeting looming prior to any release we have gained some further time and hope to use the extra time to get the transfers module finished.

I apologise to you all for the delay, on the flip side of this I feel you will all be pleased with whats been done and look forward to your assistance in removing any bugs or annoyances that we have had to endure since 2005 due to frontcode closing their doors, we have the chance once again to go forward and offer you all the features you want to see and new ones that you may have seen in usage on other networks, we will have some problems for sure but with the help of the whole community I believe we will overcome all hurdles and restore the network to its former glory.

My thanks to the users who have unwittingly been sharing some files with the development team for the past few weeks of testing, its good to see not all of those left are using trading tools and are happy to share with our test client, without such generous folks the new client would be impossible to test in real time, thanks folks  8)

Once this client is completed folks its my firm intention to drop off the radar here and retire properly from the site, I intend to assist with the development team until they get fed up with my "help" :lol:

I am doing this for two reasons primarily because I feel I have done all I can for you and we all know that if you work a horse into the ground it becomes less useful over time, fresh blood will carry forward the sites ideals and activities as they have been doing and the second reason is simply that I have no wish for anyone to use my presence here to settle private vendettas while pretending that they acting on your behalf , none of you have sold the network down the river so I don't believe these attackers are working for anyone but themselves and simply want attention because they where trusted and knew unpublished methods to disrupt the network, I believe there is no reason for anyone to attack this network with or without the new client but rest assured any attempts at attacks will lead to further updates and fixes until they get the message, its wrong and its childish, ok enough of the time wasting, we are near folks, expect to hear of more success & completion soon, as always thank you all for your unswerving support.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 11:05:17 pm »
Don't rush to release the new client. Make sure it's ready for release. We've waited this long. I'm sure we can wait another 3 months or whatever it takes.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 11:32:02 pm »
I dont think I can wait 3 months I dont know about the rest of you  :-D

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 06:23:14 am »
Well, when its ready for release then by all means release it. I'm looking forward to using it. Unfortunately at the present time i'm in the middle of hard times, and all my gear is in storage so i'm going to have to try it out on my laptop instead of on one of my machines that I normally use to support the network. I guess that's why its not hard for me to wait another 3 months since that's about when I believe I will have my gear set back up. I went from having 7 desktops which I built myself to just my laptop. Life has really dealt me a difficult hand to deal with due to health problems which started 2 1/2 years ago.

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 11:20:06 am »
Hope things get better for u Achilles and that u keep as positive of an attitude towards your situation as u do with your support for winmx. :)

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 11:25:18 pm »
Thanks Reef! I'm trying my best to make a full recovery. I'm not sure its possible, but if it is then I will do it!

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2012, 01:00:17 am »
I think I can speak for the rest of the staff Achilles when I say our thoughts are with you in making a full recovery.
I always have very much respect for those who despite problems in real life assist others to find their way in this world, thanks for sharing your hardship with us, it shows your true strength of character.

Offline Jehosephat

• Forum Member
  • I Hate Hackers!!
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 12:47:38 am »
GhostShip: Just to let you know: whoever the creeps are, I am keeping my language clean here for some reason, that have been screwing around and fouling up winmx for quite some time now, they have now made using even the open nap undoable. They now have it to where you hit the search tab and the program freezes for some seconds. When the program unfreezes you are shown about 3500 results instantly. Hitting the stop button does not work in time as the results come up like this soon as the program unfreezes. It's been doing that for about a week now. Evidentally these creeps have nothing better to do. Too bad I can't hack into their computers. I would leave them with one hell of a virus. Looking forward to your new client or patch, but I got to believe these creeps are just going to keep hacking away at this program for as long as it exists. I just don't see any way to stop it unless their IP addresses can be blocked. But they might also be using "moving" IP addresses which can change each time one of these creeps goes online or tries to enter winmx. Seems like a no-win situation but wish you and whoever takes over technically the best of luck in defeating these creeps. There is unfortunately no place else to go like winmx. Bearshare and the others like it totally suck. Nothing is free to download on Bearshare and other programs like shareaza may as well shut down. We all know what happened to limewire and frostwire has become useless. The mega millionaires that be sure are worried about some of us sharing some files and they don't get a couple more cents per song that they hardly need. Oh to bring back the good old days of the internet from the late 1990's to the mid 2000's. Peace everybody.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2012, 03:08:50 am »
Let us not waste time on discussing those abusers and censors of free speech Jehosephat, we are doing well in the client building dept and with the communities assistance we will make it unbeatable  :-D

On this day 7 years ago another attacker struck and the community rallied, network users worked together to restore basic functionality and the community felt rightly proud of its members, moving forward we worked hard with others to bring the community together after a long and bitter division, once again WinMX users had something to feel proud of, soon they will feel proud once again and I hope remember that as long as a handful of folks exist who want to save the WPN that's all it takes if they are committed, a community is always only as powerful as its members and the community here are demonstratively the cream of the crop, I'm proud to be a part of such a community and myself look forward to the day when fun is reintroduced back into our hearts after a time of selfish abuse and petty censorship, after all whats the point of looking glumly at your shoes when the sun rises above you to deliver a new day 8)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2012, 05:38:34 am »
They now have it to where you hit the search tab and the program freezes for some seconds. When the program unfreezes you are shown about 3500 results instantly. Hitting the stop button does not work in time as the results come up like this soon as the program unfreezes. It's been doing that for about a week now.

click the button that says 'all networks' and select one of the nap servers you are connected to then run your search... didnt find it? select a different server and run again....

when it says 'all networks' that includes running a search on the currently broken wpn ... which is what causes the lockup...

Offline MSmithy

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2012, 05:21:01 pm »
So, what is the new projected time of completion? Is there anything the community can do to help?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2012, 09:16:29 pm »
Theres probably quite a lot the community can do but until the support site community have held their meeting around the end of this month and Silicon Toad has laid out his plans the best thing to do is clear the decks for action and be ready to test the release to destruction as we cant allow any bugs to remain to be exploited and with such a large project there are some items that are sure to have been overlooked, the community will do their part in locating and reporting these areas and the development team will resolve the problems and release further builds until we reach something we are all satisfied with.

If you have some spare time folks and don't mind doing what might seem like rather mundane tasks then please feel free to pm me and I'll brief you on the tasks I need doing that will shave time off the release date, non coders are well suited to this specific set of tasks btw so don't worry about having to jump into the unknown.

Before the public release date we will have at least one more advanced testers release for the staff and a few folks who have shown they are able to deliver accurate and detailed feedback data to make sure there are no big holes in anything and then the jobs over to the rest of you for fine tuning  :-D

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »
A small update on progress folks, the meeting of support site staff took place as scheduled and we had a small but productive discussion on the way ahead that's best for the community, the good news is there was no disagreements and all present seemed happy to go ahead with some changes in the client over time to allow for further security enhancements in the future, a rolling plan of these have been seen as the best way ahead.

This week we had a further meeting to look once again at some of the finer details and most importantly released an early alpha, this one features some basic downloading ability and some bug fixes from the previous release. This new release is following the concept of increasing the tester pool as more code is finalised, this should allow the final release to be rock solid and tested by many before its generally available, I hope you all agree this step by step approach is the safest way to move forward.

As always I hope to bring you further good news and make my apologies for all and any delays.

Offline Einsteinus

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2012, 09:38:11 pm »
GhostShip: Just to let you know: whoever the creeps are, I am keeping my language clean here for some reason, that have been screwing around and fouling up winmx for quite some time now, they have now made using even the open nap undoable. They now have it to where you hit the search tab and the program freezes for some seconds. When the program unfreezes you are shown about 3500 results instantly. Hitting the stop button does not work in time as the results come up like this soon as the program unfreezes. It's been doing that for about a week now. Evidentally these creeps have nothing better to do. Too bad I can't hack into their computers. I would leave them with one hell of a virus. Looking forward to your new client or patch, but I got to believe these creeps are just going to keep hacking away at this program for as long as it exists. I just don't see any way to stop it unless their IP addresses can be blocked. But they might also be using "moving" IP addresses which can change each time one of these creeps goes online or tries to enter winmx. Seems like a no-win situation but wish you and whoever takes over technically the best of luck in defeating these creeps. There is unfortunately no place else to go like winmx. Bearshare and the others like it totally suck. Nothing is free to download on Bearshare and other programs like shareaza may as well shut down. We all know what happened to limewire and frostwire has become useless. The mega millionaires that be sure are worried about some of us sharing some files and they don't get a couple more cents per song that they hardly need. Oh to bring back the good old days of the internet from the late 1990's to the mid 2000's. Peace everybody.
Not to worry Joe....as an operator of a opennap server I am on the lookout on a minute by minute basis viewing ever connection/search/transfer and any other command that happen's on my network. Their are a few flooders out their that try to foul up the system with random useless searches and transfers that for whatever reason are not connecting.  Keep in mind that some of this traffic is not malicious in nature but rather the result of a firewall / tcp /udp problem.  Some clients keep sending requests even when it's not working.  As a general rule any open/slavanap operator can limit the traffic..and in most cases we do.  Unlike the peer network....hackers that mess with opennap have to give up some information like their IP addy..also I can browse ALL FILES (even one's not shared) so it's convenient if not tempting to set up a trap if one wanted too.  Even the best of hackers or the best of spoofers can't keep changing their public IP address that a ISP assigns to them on a hourly basis ..so unless their static (and if they are they would be real stupid to try and hack a opennap server)....I have reasoned with many of these so called attackers and found that their screwing up the network was in most cases due to some software issue. The one's that do appear to be trouble makers are known..by their IP address and their nicknames and files..believe it or not these guys are not all that smart..it takes energy to keep spoofing IP addys changing nicknames etc....and all it takes me is one quick mouse click to ban them and watch as that IP addy trys to log on again....most seem to be "robotic" in nature as they spew out useless searches of the same thing ..that's how they attack...however it also works to their disadvantage as the client automatically then trys to log back on to the server time and time again...makes it easy to find who they are..like shooting fish in a barrel...

Offline MSmithy

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 08:28:39 pm »
Any further news on anything. Any projected release date?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 11:31:40 pm »
Sort of MSmithy  :-D

Currently the developers are working hard to get more of the client finalised and adding some of the items deemed to be priority 2 items left till last to complete, there has been a fairly complete Alpha release but as always the developers are still collecting feedback and fixing bugs, we should soon be able to show off a client thats langauge agile amongst other good things, much to do still but the bulk of the work has been done and seems good and I'm sure it will be possible to make a public beta release without every single hair in place once further work on the uploads and downloads code has met expectations, working is not the same as working well I'm sure you all agree.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client Weekly Update

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx