gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 18, 2024, 01:35:51 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client Weekly Update
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Client Weekly Update  (Read 89419 times)

Offline J a M e S

• Forum Member
  • www.lovehosts.com
    • Great Web Hosting
Re: New Client Weekly Update
« Reply #300 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:36 pm »
I don't wanna upset anyone,  but it has been years in the making for a new client,  it seems winmx will never be what it used to be, I know things like this are hard but I suppose no one wants to say it but what happens when its up n running,  anti piracy is big now (getting that way in uk) and could well see years of work shot down in a day,
Am going to guess the winmx community won't like my views but that's all they are just my views
I loved winmx back in the day still miss it, any chance of an android chat app
Learn From Yesterday, Live For Today, Hope For Tomorow!
www.lovehosts.com

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #301 on: June 28, 2013, 10:46:33 pm »
I dont see how anyone feels they are going to be able to bring to a halt years of work simply because they are scared of what might occur on a decentralised network, there is no central control over the users and thus there is no control over the network. If you can point to anywhere I or any of the site team have encouraged illegal activity please do so, I am pretty confident your searches will yeild no such incitement.

As to the off hand comment about the client taking so long, could I remind you that this is only the case because some folks and their support team stepped up to the plate to undertake the task and 98% of the rest of the users did not, I'm not sure what else there is to say, theres no race going on and the community are in the main happy with seeing progress fairly regularly, we have traded time in exchange for lack of talented coders, if the situation was reversed then we could release something earlier but while in another topic you posted your busy at work so too are the developers, we do our paid work and then sit down to continue the client, one day you may understand why we have undertaken this task but for now it seems your attentions are elsewhere and thus you might not appreciate the amount of work and commitment required and is being undertaken.

If folks want to use the new client then they will and if they do not then at least they had a choice, atm there is no choice for anyone and whilst that might be ok with you are by your own admission not "chewing the fat" in the chatrooms much if at all, some folks rely on this network to keep in contact with their friends and folks like me want to ensure that is defended to the end if necessary, without communications we become smaller fragments of a wider sphere of peaceful and unselfish human beings, I,m glad your all fine though James and its always good to hear from you, but please dont underestimate the resolve and will to bring the users a future they control and is not dictated to them by some halfwitten corporate fraudsters who see copyright issues in someone copying their own work.

Offline Joanne

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2013, 08:52:54 pm »
Never question the "NEW CLIENT" that wiil never happen
they are too busy watching this forum.

Nothing happens for months but if you ask a question
they all come out at once claiming they are busy.

Offline Bluehaze

• Forum Member
    • Realms Beyond
« Reply #303 on: June 29, 2013, 10:27:54 pm »
Howdy everyone. Let me say thank you to the coders who have donated their own time and skills to the development of the new client. They are not obligated, of course, to do this - but they are doing it any way. Thank you!

Joanne, is there some way you can help?
"As one grows older, one becomes wiser and more foolish,"
Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #304 on: June 30, 2013, 02:02:28 am »
joanne
If you only would understand 1% of the time and effort SOME people give to keep our community alive and make it even better in the future you would be sitting silently in a corner with a blush of shame

Offline Rock001

• Forum Member
« Reply #305 on: June 30, 2013, 10:16:26 am »
Well said Wonderer. Couldn't agree with you more. Yes the client is taking longer than Expected but the fact is that it is getting done. Maybe not in a week or a month but we all are sitting silently waiting for it to be released. :)
Still kickin' and screaming'!

Offline Joanne

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2013, 06:28:25 pm »
Howdy everyone. Let me say thank you to the coders who have donated their own time and skills to the development of the new client. They are not obligated, of course, to do this - but they are doing it any way. Thank you!

I would help too right I would, anyone but this lot of no hopers.

I wouldnt want to be in a war with this lot, KM has had an easy ride  :sleepy:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »
KM used to be part of this "lot" as you call us, the diference between KM and ourselves is simply that we have tried to hold the community together and his idea of things is "my way or else", the fact your able to post your disdain here and still be treated civilly should clue you in to the type of folks your taking cheap shots at.

« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2013, 09:38:49 pm »

Just to put this in context. The people being helped is the winmx community. Joanne, if you think the community is a 'lot of no hopers' despite what the community has been through and still been here, I don't think you understand the concept of hope.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #309 on: June 30, 2013, 10:03:41 pm »
Furthermore, if 'this lot of no hopers' represents the wider WinMX community, then that includes YOU too, Miss Joanne of the me generation
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #310 on: July 01, 2013, 02:01:11 am »
"a lot of no hopers"
can you specify that a bit more?
could mean a lot without hope
or a lot without giving hope
or any other meaning if I missed it

btw
I'm not hoping, I know for sure

anyway you are doing well NOT helping :P

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #311 on: July 01, 2013, 07:15:42 am »
Since your unhappy and skeptical about the new client Joanne, you could always begin your own version of a new client. No-one here will badger you and your progress because most folks have common decency and appreciate what a huge task it actually is, giving up free time while arriving home from a hard days work. You don't seem to grasp the fact that people have lives, jobs, families, and yet they volunteer their free time to try and make winmx live on. Please discontinue your disrespectful posts.

Offline Einsteinus

• Forum Member
« Reply #312 on: July 02, 2013, 09:41:06 pm »

I wouldnt want to be in a war with this lot, KM has had an easy ride  :sleepy:

You can help by running a slavanap server at least part time (we need help especially on the weekends) The open/slavanap part of winmx client works great and we even help eliminate trouble makers so it provides for safer downloads also. Since a lot of our community members now have fiber/vdsl/turbo-cable connections the speeds have never been faster. Actually  KM forced a lot of to use our slavanap community in a more trusted way...my music and video collection now exceeds 30,000 files and spans 3 TB....most of us have developed relationships now that we can trust...don't have to worry about copyright infringement either....unlike immature blokes like KM and clan ..most of the stuff I possess was created before you or KM were even born (or hatched ?) so it's all in the Public Domain

Offline Joanne

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #313 on: July 04, 2013, 08:55:56 pm »
OK so you all shoot me down for daring to question
the "new client" well lets have a proper progress report
from when this was started (over two years ago)
up until now and what progress has been made
and when this thing is due to be completed.

Write down the percentage completed and
the prospected time for the finished article
I wont hold my breath  :no:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #314 on: July 04, 2013, 09:34:51 pm »
From time to time I have tried to focus our efforts on to set release dates as no doubt you will have noticed Joanne, we have missed two of those and so we thought it wise to hold back on making any further widespread release dates until we had a successful complete client alpha out to the testers, at this time we are working on some areas that are in need of further detailed work and also we are one coder down atm due to real life events, however we are unofficially aiming for the September slot again as that date has a significance for all in the community.

The project was started in August 2011 and whilst we had the majority of the secondary, primary, filesharing, & chat protocols laying about we have had to create materials/visual models for each one to deliver to the the coders so they know what they are working towards, in some cases we have had existing code to look over and learn techniques from but large quantities of code has had to be created to bring the client forward to where it is atm, a percentage is hard to define as I might in my mind strike down the percentage based on some arbitrary function that is or is not working so you see why that may not be the greatest measuring stick however we do have (in my estimation)  approximately 75% plus of the final code in the bag and maybe more, what we don't have is the time of quality coders to speedily tie up all the loose ends and iron out the bugs once all the parts are in place, this is once again simply due to lack of coders, so to sum up every part of the client has had to be researched and then replicated and thus you will appreciate that this cannot be done in a fast time frame with two folks working on the project in their spare time and sometimes hitting brick walls and at other times making fast progress, we are doing our best Joanne, personally I am finding it hard to understand why you come here with an attitude of confrontation when its clear to everyone else that we need to all pull together in any way we can to reach the end of the long road we have had to travel and do so united in common purpose as this community did before in 2005.

Let me be clear on one matter, no one has "shot you down" for asking about the new client, as has been posted many times now all sensible questions are answered to the best of our ability, folks who are rude , sarcastic or just plain flaming others should not have any expectations of getting a response as to waste time on such folks further delays the client progress directly, also please bear in mind your not the only "customer" I work for and like the rest of the folks you should be patient and supportive as to do otherwise is both unhelpful and a slap in the face for all the other users waiting patiently.

Unfortunately I have no time to give you a complete list of dates and times or areas of progress made as that would be wrong to do at this time as well as serving no strategic purpose for the rest of the community, we can count the lost beans once we have delivered the main crop to market, please keep an eye on the front page of the site for progress reports on the new client progress page that's linked from there.

PS: Please stop spamming our chat room.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #315 on: July 04, 2013, 10:14:39 pm »
OK so you all shoot me down for daring to question
the "new client" well lets have a proper progress report
from when this was started (over two years ago)
up until now and what progress has been made
and when this thing is due to be completed.

Write down the percentage completed and
the prospected time for the finished article
I wont hold my breath  :no:

Nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline MSmithy

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #316 on: July 05, 2013, 11:35:36 am »
Wow! I just realized I started this thready almost a year ago! Time really does fly! So GhostShip, if I understand correctly, you and the coders are anticipating a beta release in September? I understand there are no guarantees, but this is exciting news that there is a date (once again) to look forward to. I think I speak for a lot of the community when I say that we don't want to be let down again (not that you have any control over it). I also understand that September is not a hard date either but, if the rate of progress is looking as good, as you are explaining, then it seems we may be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, if I may suggest, please date/timeStamp the updates/progress on the main page so that the community knows when there has been a change. It would make it much easier for everyone to know the progress when any have been made to the client.

Once again, thank you for persuing this new client and never giving up. I believe the hope that the new client is to be completed soon is what is keeping this community together.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #317 on: July 05, 2013, 06:38:17 pm »
I agree that we need this new client ASAP MSmithy, I think it will be a good idea to date the latest progress on the front of the site so we all know whats going on, atm it has been possible to see the last update by watching the date located on the bottom of the client progress page but unless you know its there we may be leaving folks feeling that nothing has been occurring even though advances have been made so I will follow your idea, its nice to hear positive support and ideas that help all in the community.

There is light as you say at the end of the tunnel MSmithy but we are still very low on coders, this is really the only reason I have not been able to give a solid-in-stone date, I hope you all appreciate that we have been doing our best to bring you something for the future and move on to the next level in our travels as friends and acquaintances and remember its going to be a future that your going to help guide, whilst the new client is akin to a baby in that it has a few parents I can rest assured that it will have many thousands of friends and carers to guard its progress

Offline Joanne

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #318 on: July 05, 2013, 07:58:28 pm »
September eh, which year  :lol:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #319 on: July 05, 2013, 09:12:27 pm »
I hope its clear to all at this stage that "Joanne" is simply out to waste time, I find it hard to believe that "Joanne" is actually a member of the WinMX community, does anyone actually know of "her" from any of the rooms ? 

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  New Client Weekly Update

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.01 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx