gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 07:31:27 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Large Ukraine-based BitTorrent site Demonoid shut down
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Large Ukraine-based BitTorrent site Demonoid shut down  (Read 1179 times)

Offline DaBees-Knees

• WMW Team
Large Ukraine-based BitTorrent site Demonoid shut down
« on: August 08, 2012, 06:47:32 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19166779

Ukrainian authorities have taken down Demonoid.com, one of the world's largest torrent file-sharing sites.

Investigators from the country's Ministry of Internal Affairs raided the data centre that was hosting the website's servers.

Torrents allow users to download music, video and other internet content by downloading small bits of files from others' computers at the same time.

The shutdown is the latest news in a campaign against file-sharing sites.

It follows the US's closure of Megaupload, and several European ISPs (internet service providers) being ordered to block access to The Pirate Bay.

Demonoid was listed alongside both of these sites in The Notorious Markets List - a document drawn up by the US government at the end of last year highlighting services that "merit further investigation for possible intellectual property rights infringements".

It noted that Demonoid "recently ranked among the top 600 websites in global traffic and the top 300 in US traffic".

Back online?

Users first became aware of the action on 26 July, when attempts to access Demonoid's site yielded a "server busy" message.

The Torrentfreak news site reported that Ukraine's Division of Economic Crimes acted after receiving a request from the international police organisation Interpol.

It said the local authorities then contacted Demonoid's ISP, Colocall, which decided to pull its service, and allowed investigators to copy data off its servers.

"Demonoid is known for its links to relatively rare content which may be harder to come by now," Torrentfreak's editor Ernesto Van Der Sar told the BBC.

"However, it's not going to stop the majority of people from sharing files as the most popular items are available though hundreds of other BitTorrent sites."

The action follows the arrest of one of Demonoid's administrators in Mexico last October. But despite the setbacks Mr Van Der Sar suggested it was too soon to consign the site to history.

"In 2006 The Pirate Bay came back online three days after it was raided, and in the years that followed it grew out to become the largest BitTorrent site," he said.

The BPI, which represents the UK music industry, and the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) - which have both campaigned against online copyright infringement - declined to comment when approached by the BBC.

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
Re: Large Ukraine-based BitTorrent site Demonoid shut down
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:55:46 am »
Demonoid Raid Credited To IFPI, Multiple Arrests In Mexico Reported
After a few days of no comment, the actors behind the raid and closure of Demonoid have stepped forward. The IFPI and Interpol say they worked together with the Attorney General of Mexico and Ukrainian police to shutter the popular file-sharing service. In addition to equipment seized in Ukraine, they have now confirmed “a number of arrests” and seizures of assets in Mexico.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 06:16:05 am »
That's just shows that everyone is eventually going to have to go back to P2P decentralized private networks with strong encryption with anonymity so that no one knows what the hell you are downloading except that you are using X amount of bandwidth which may or may not violate your ISP's TOS. If you have no daily, weekly, or monthly bandwidth limit then you are good to go. Torrent sites are highly efficient in terms of speed & offer great content, but leave those that host the sites wide open for multiple law suites. I can't see torrent sites lasting much longer. Especially after seeing how they raided a provider in a country like Ukraine. Folks, get use to torrent sites hosting copyrighted content as the good old days that came, and went. It will only be a memory after a few years. Its a shame how, innovation, and  technology gets hindered in cases like this. I honestly hated seeing this happen, but i'm positive the fading of torrents will bring many new users back to the WinMx network.  Mainly because networks like WinMx that are completely decentralized are very difficult to shut down. It would take a major effort or known exploit as we are experiencing at the moment to do so. Once the new client is released with eventually an improved protocol  allowing larger files shared on the network we will see many X torrent users flock to the safer, and more secure WinMx network for getting their content.  Right now we are seeing an explosion in decentralized anonymous networks in development. These developers knew this was coming a long time ago so all killing torrent sites will do is bring about different means or methods of sharing content. A change in strategy if you will. What will the RIAA, MPAA, and others do when they have no clue who is sharing what, and what is being shared. There are some very high tech networks that have been in development for years that are near completion now, and will be released to the public soon. They thought they had a nightmare with torrents lol
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:42:10 am »
you never know, maybe eventually the industry might realise that we all want content available when we want it without any fuss.

I don't know about the majority of the world population, but I generally find it very difficult to schedule a bunch of free time to enable me to sit on my couch and watch the tv at a certain time in order to catch a movie. I find myself with some free time and I want content available to me that I will enjoy at that point in time.
I don't want to spend time looking for it either.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:04:46 pm »
you never know, maybe eventually the industry might realise that we all want content available when we want it without any fuss.

somehow i think hell will freeze over first....

or something like this will happen (its not that far away actually);
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/music_industry

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 01:11:56 pm »
Anonymous targets Ukraine for Demonoid torrent tracker takedown
This week, the loosely connected online activist and hacking community Anonymous began a new "operation": attacking the Ukrainian government.

In retaliation to Ukraine's take down of popular BitTorrent tracking site Demonoid, Anonymous is seeking "revenge against all criminals responsible" in the country's government.

In what Anonymous called a "state-sponsored Denial of Service attack" on Demonoid, the group plans to make everyone aware they will not tolerate the takedown. In a statement, Anonymous accused the Ukrainian government of a form of international appeasement to the United States. This is not the first time this accusation has been hurled at a country's governing body. Spain, for example, fast-tracked the Sinde Law, its version of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), before talks with the USA. Documents posted to Wikileaks seemed to suggest the USA was actually strong-arming Spain into passing the act.

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 07:11:12 pm »
Demonoid Domains Go Up For Sale

While it’s undoubtedly been a turbulent couple of weeks for Demonoid, its loyal users still had hope that one day the site might return. However, today the chances of that happening appear to have been cut from an optimistic 50/50 to much, much less. All key Demonoid domains are now up for sale to the highest bidder, signaling what could be the start of the end of an era.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 10:18:15 pm »
I wonder why they caved in so quick? Pirates Bay has been fighting a lot longer, and been to court numerous times. Pirates Bay is still up and running despite everything. I wonder if they reached some sort of legal agreement if Kim DotCom promised legally not to bring the site back up.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline p2p rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 03:56:59 pm »
Demonoid Domain Sale Banned Over Legal Issues
After several turbulent weeks with DDoS attacks, the shutdown of its servers and a criminal investigation into the site’s owners, trouble continues for the Demonoid BitTorrent tracker. After the site’s domain names were put up for sale last week, domain market place Sedo has now delisted them citing “legal issues.” As time progresses the hope of a comeback for what was once one of the largest BitTorrent communities continues to fade.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Large Ukraine-based BitTorrent site Demonoid shut down

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx