gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 11:59:41 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Pirate Bay co-founder Warg arrested in Cambodia
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pirate Bay co-founder Warg arrested in Cambodia  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
Pirate Bay co-founder Warg arrested in Cambodia
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:59:38 am »
One of the founders of the popular file-sharing Pirate Bay website, has been arrested in Cambodia, the local police have announced. Gottfrid Svartholm Warg was held in Phnom Penh after an international warrant was issued against him in April by his native Sweden.

Sweden acted after he had failed to show up for the start of his one-year jail term for copyright violations.

Warg and three other founders had said the website was within the law.

"His arrest was made at the request of the Swedish government for a crime related to information technology," Cambodia's police spokesman Kirth Chantharith told the AFP news agency. "We don't have an extradition treaty with Sweden but we'll look into our laws and see how we can handle this case," the spokesman added.

In Sweden, Warg's former defence lawyer Ola Salomonsson confirmed the arrest, the Aftonbladet newspaper reports. Warg and the site's co-founders - Fredrik Neij and Peter Sunde, as well financier Carl Lundstroem - were convicted by a Swedish court of encouraging copyright violations in 2009. Neij, Sunde and Lundstroem all had their one-year jail terms reduced to between four and 10 months following an appeal in 2010. They were also ordered to pay nearly $7m (£4m) in damages for copyright infringement to music and movie companies. However, Warg did not attend the appeal hearing, with his lawyer saying that he was too ill. The Swedish court then decided to uphold his sentence.

The operations of the Pirate Bay were largely shut down in Sweden six years ago, but the website has continued to function. The site was founded in 2003, and claims to have more than 30m users worldwide.

No copyright content is hosted on the site's web servers. Instead, it hosts "torrent" links to TV, film and music files held on its users' computers.
bbc.co.uk
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
Re: Pirate Bay co-founder Warg arrested in Cambodia
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:37:36 am »
I am baffled by this so perhaps someone can clear it up for me.
If Cambodia and Sweden don't have an extradition treaty between them, then why did Cambodia arrest Warg? I had always understood that if an extradition treaty doesn't exist between two nations, then an accusation of a crime warranting an arrest in one such nation is irrelevant within the other. Isn't this idea the basis of Assange having sanctuary from Ecuador?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Pirate Bay co-founder Warg arrested in Cambodia
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:43:46 am »
An extradition treaty is simply an formal agreement between two countries to deliver up folks the other may want for crimes, theres nothing to stop a country willing to deliver him up from doing so without a quid pro quo.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Pirate Bay co-founder Warg arrested in Cambodia

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx