gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:57:13 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Watch Out! New Video Law Lets Netflix Share What You're Viewing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Watch Out! New Video Law Lets Netflix Share What You're Viewing  (Read 2073 times)

Watch Out! New Video Law Lets Netflix Share What You're Viewing
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:26:10 am »
It passed the House, the Senate, and just before the new year, the President signed it into law. In a significant shift in video privacy - online video rental companies can now share information about the movies you rent or buy. As you might expect, things are about to get more social.

According to the new law, companies have to ask only once. You can opt out, but if you don't, say goodbye to the rights to your video data for two full years. As per the change, Netflix will introduce new social features that basically link users' Netflix and Facebook accounts and share their viewing history with friends. Netflix was previously unable to do this in the U.S. by the 25-year-old Video Privacy Protection Act (VPPA), which banned the sharing of personal data for anything but law enforcement purposes (even now, Hulu remains in court for previously sharing viewers' info)...

...Another potential problem stemming from the law, Reitman said, is whether video companies will use that information as a commodity and sell it. "Once data is combined with our social media profiles, it can be part of the data used by the online advertising industry for advertising purposes and we'll be forced to rely on the often confusing privacy settings on social networks to protect our video watching history."...

...But the underlying issue is that this new law creates a system where the public could easily end up sharing personal data without their informed consent.

http://readwrite.com/2013/01/04/watch-out-new-video-law-lets-netflix-share-what-youre-viewing

I used to wish netflix was available in Australia, I'm not so sure anymore. I think if it makes the most of these laws, it would not be legal to operate in Australia.

Offline achilles

• Core
Re: Watch Out! New Video Law Lets Netflix Share What You're Viewing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:51:54 pm »
Hopefully they will lose a lot of subscribers because of this so they get the message this kind of behavior is not acceptable.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:09:56 pm »
Just to redirect, it's a law that is being passed which may allow this, I haven't seen any thing to suggest they will or won't take advantage of this.

Any video streaming site may or may not take advantage of these laws.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone use netflix? We don't have it here in Oz. Is it really as simple as it sounds? Pay your money and stream any movie you like?
What's the streaming library like?

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
  • Holder of the benign issue!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:28:56 am »
I'm a current subscriber.  I pay a minimal fee monthly, push a button on my TV remote, and said service pops up on my screen.  The selection is pretty big.  Granted I don't watch a lot of them because they aren't in my favorite genre.  It should be noted that they have something for just about everybody.  There are truckloads of kids shows and some of the older "A" list movies, as well as plenty of "B" movies.  There are military programs, nature programs, etc., etc.,.

Should Netflix start sharing my viewing habits, I'll drop them like a hot rock.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:32:46 am »
how long do you wait after theatre release for a movie to pop up in the menu on netflix?

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:38:28 am »
If the Government could they would have a chip installed in every citizen that would share statistics on sexual life to how many times you do # 2 per day.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 02:52:19 am »
I think the chip would just tell them who the citizens would vote for and in the case of non compulsory voting, tell them if the citizen is inclined to vote.
The government doesn't care about anything else.

Imagine a chip like that which could provide real time mass feedback regarding how we thing they are performing...

Offline Einsteinus

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 04:43:11 pm »
Depends on how long the first run is and what other licensing restrictions may apply. Rule of thumb week or two to one month max.  However certain films like ET were not granted and publishing rights until years after release in theaters and far as I know that also goes for certain Disney films as well.  The upside to Netflix is you can have up to 5 or 6 guests that can sign on at the same time from the same account. (that's how I use it most of the time) The downside is that some of the material has to be sent in the mail on an exchange basis so you can't always "instant Q" every video.  The quality of course depends on the source material and as mentioned by another includes a lot of older stuff done in 4x3, but for the most part looks pretty sharp on a 42" screen...way better then any of the 700 MEG movies or videos downloaded here on WinMx but maybe a shade grainier then a HD DVD.

Offline Einsteinus

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 04:53:02 pm »
But in regards to that new law...now there is another way for us guys to get caught with our pants down.   :suspious:  as if it isn't  bad enough with all those curious spouses  out there using "key Loggers" :o now they can get all the history they need from a third party. :secret:  Admissible in a court of law also :clown:

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
  • Holder of the benign issue!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 01:31:47 am »
Depends on how long the first run is and what other licensing restrictions may apply. Rule of thumb week or two to one month max.  However certain films like ET were not granted and publishing rights until years after release in theaters and far as I know that also goes for certain Disney films as well.  The upside to Netflix is you can have up to 5 or 6 guests that can sign on at the same time from the same account. (that's how I use it most of the time) The downside is that some of the material has to be sent in the mail on an exchange basis so you can't always "instant Q" every video.  The quality of course depends on the source material and as mentioned by another includes a lot of older stuff done in 4x3, but for the most part looks pretty sharp on a 42" screen...way better then any of the 700 MEG movies or videos downloaded here on WinMx but maybe a shade grainier then a HD DVD.

This right here.

Offline Einsteinus

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:38:05 pm »
I believe the truth is that under the guise of "statistical data" many if not all service providers, retailers, advertisers, ..Et Al   They all share location information cookie information so on and so forth. ;)  In addition I have noticed my favorite A-Hole spy Microsoft tricks you into using Hotmail or Yahoo or AOL as the default login Admin on a newly installed Windows 8. :hrmm:  Of course if you look hard enough you could find the "local log - on only" button, but how many people just do the "default" values ..probably 98%. So already you are tracked. :x...  I have already been accused by my girlfriend of cheating because Yahoo came up with some automatic social site like facebook and took all of my old contacts from g-d knows how many years ago..lumped them into a contact list and made it look like I was having a grand old time with all my ex-girlfriends. :nono:..I never had even herd of that service before.  So it doesn't take much for them to make decisions about your privacy and how you share information without your knowledge.  We only find about the secret "back doors" a lot programs have when another coder smart to the trick discovers them....so I am afraid Hooked unless you invest a lot of time and energy into IP Spoofing and sniffin and port scanning and all those wonderful tools you can take it for granted someone sharing something about you someplace..... :firefox:

Offline Einsteinus

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 04:39:26 pm »
 :walk: or just use Linux ...

Obama signs netflix backed legislation
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 02:50:15 am »
Turns out netflix may well be behind this new law.

President Obama signed Netflix-backed legislation today that makes it easier for people to share their video-viewing habits online.

With his signature on H.R. 6671, Obama approved an amendment to the 1988 Video Privacy Protection Act that allows video rental companies to obtain customer consent to share information about their viewing preferences on social networks such as Facebook. The law was enacted after a weekly newspaper printed the video rental history of Judge Robert H. Bork during his Supreme Court confirmation hearings.

The House bill is similar to a proposal approved last November by the Senate Judiciary Committee, minus language inserted by Sen. Patrick Leahy that would have required police to obtain search warrants before accessing files stored in the cloud, including e-mail. However, Leahy later withdrew the controversial proposal.

Netflix, which had argued that the 25-year-old law was outdated and due for an overhaul, has said it plans to introduce social features for subscribers this year, although a Netflix representative told CNET that it was too early to discuss specifics. Netflix users outside the United States already have the option to link their accounts with Facebook, allowing them frictionless sharing of their video viewing preferences with other member of their online social network.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57563408-93/obama-signs-netflix-backed-amendment-to-video-privacy-law/

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 05:10:06 am »
Just what I always wanted to know...

What videos Toady is watchin' this week...

Not
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 05:12:47 am »
seems like its time to go back to the 'brick and mortar' rental stores...

as for windows 8 wanting an online account login ... uh... i think ill be skipping win8 and see if they get a clue on the next windows version...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 05:17:21 am »
Just what I always wanted to know...

What videos Toady is watchin' this week...

Not

at least im not the only one that feels facebook is superfluous information about another person....

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Watch Out! New Video Law Lets Netflix Share What You're Viewing

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx