gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 04:02:44 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Japanese Govt To Flood P2P Networks With Copyright Warning Messages
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Japanese Govt To Flood P2P Networks With Copyright Warning Messages  (Read 735 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
In a novel approach to deterring Japanese folks from sharing copyrighted material the Japanese Govt have launched "Operation Decoy"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/05/operation_decoy_file_japan/

The Japanese government has complemented its already robust digital copyright laws with the unusual practice of hiding warning notices disguised as pirated content on popular domestic peer-to-peer networks.
The “copyright awareness” files contain a strongly-worded message designed to scare, shame and deter the reader into abandoning their anti-social ways.

Operation Decoy File, which was dreamt up by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications in conjunction with various film and music groups, will run until the middle of this month.
Japan's citizens are far from prolific pirates and the country already has some of the strictest penalties for online piracy on the planet, factors that might make the whole strategy seem unnecessary.

It seems the Winny and Share P2P networks are the targets of this campaign but no doubt this type of junk could appear on any network, it smacks a little of desperation however to see a government entity involved once again at the behest of a copyright lobby doing such things at public expense, when are these copyright trolls going to take their gluttonous and greedy hands out of our wallets ?

Offline achilles

• Core
Re: Japanese Govt To Flood P2P Networks With Copyright Warning Messages
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:26:02 pm »
Hopefully there will be consequences to their actions. Maybe it will draw the interest of Anonymous.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline achilles

• Core
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:35:34 pm »
Also, hopefully WinMx will be as good as it has been in the past at mitigating these type of attacks. Before the attacks began WinMx had been the least flooded network of all P2P networks that i'm aware of. This isn't including very small networks that may have been out there that very few people knew about. Networks usually don't become a target until there well known or widely used.  I have been using WinMx since it was  released, and have very rarely downloaded a fake file after all these years. I don't know if I have even downloaded 10 fake files in over 10 years. That's really amazing. I could be very lucky, but I give the credit to WiinMx.
I'm a Hardware, and Cyber Security Guy.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:56:49 pm »
My experiences with WinMX seem to cover from about 2002 onward, and in that time, i dont think ever a FAKE file, but lots of (deliberately?) mis-named files.
During the great flooding era, i do remember trying to search for and download one particular file that always produced thousands of results in search, but none could actually be downloaded

It was still better than iMesh (bbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, horrible...)

Then came the Great Disconnect
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Japanese Govt To Flood P2P Networks With Copyright Warning Messages

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.017 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx