gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76781 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 July 27, 2024, 06:32:18 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Forget wireless power for phones - Korea's doing it for BUSES
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Forget wireless power for phones - Korea's doing it for BUSES  (Read 1101 times)

Forget wireless power for phones - Korea's doing it for BUSES
« on: February 15, 2013, 06:35:04 am »
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/14/electric_road/

The technology is coming from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology and is little more than an extensive field trial. It should see electric buses able to drive around without relying on huge batteries or overhead wires, and while installation is expensive the technology could make electric cars viable too.

Wireless charging for vehicles is something various companies have played with, but just like wireless charging for electronics it only starts to address the problem when the charging points multiply to the point of ubiquity. Placing a phone on a pad, or parking a car in a specific spot, is not much easier than plugging in a cable, but if the charging can take place during normal use then things do change.

Korea will be using a home-grown OLEV (On-Line Electric Vehicle) technology on its two buses, but Qualcomm has the same idea in mind for its Halo charging technology which will start off with its Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging (WEVC) later this year with special parking spaces around London's Silicon Roundabout. WEVC's stated aim is to eventually get itself embedded into the road surface to recharge cars as they drive.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Forget wireless power for phones - Korea's doing it for BUSES
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:08:39 am »
buses i understand but how are they going to get the car users to pay for the power they use?

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:44:43 am »
I'm sure they'll figure it out, get everyone hooked and jack up the price.
Imagine you've just spent 10's of thousands on a car that will work on this thing, suddenly the prices go up.
Maybe the electric companies are getting into the same game as the oil companies.

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
  • Holder of the benign issue!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:21 am »
Has anybody looked at where we get electricity from?  Clean energy is a little known misnomer.  ...also, supply and demand.  I work with a guy who is very proud of his electric truck that he retrofitted.  Loves the free charge when he goes grocery shopping, etc.,.  What would happen should we all drive the electric buggy?

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:56:06 am »
yeah zero emissions my buttocks, its just shifting emissions from the road to the power plants.
although with the inefficiencies of the power plants my understanding is if they are operating at low capacity, they use similar fuel as though they were operating at a higher load.

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
  • Holder of the benign issue!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:07 pm »
I wonder what the overhaul of our electrical grid would cost?

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 02:27:42 pm »
Solarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Forget wireless power for phones - Korea's doing it for BUSES

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx