gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 10:27:07 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Feds want to fine companies that refuse wiretap requests
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Feds want to fine companies that refuse wiretap requests  (Read 832 times)

Feds want to fine companies that refuse wiretap requests
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:38:31 pm »
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/30/government_fines_wiretap_federal/

Draft legislation to impose fines on companies that refuse to provide wiretap facilities to US federal agents is in the planning stages, government officials have told the Washington Post under condition of anonymity.

Initial plans are for an automatic fine for refusal in the range of tens of thousands of dollars, an amount that would escalate over time. After 90 days, a judicial review would be held which could double the monetary reparations and possibly impose extra charges.

"The importance to us is pretty clear," FBI general counsel Andrew Weissmann told the American Bar Association last month. "We don't have the ability to go to court and say, 'We need a court order to effectuate the intercept.' Other countries have that. Most people assume that's what you're getting when you go to a court."

The proposals being prepared by a government taskforce do appear to exempt smaller companies (although that's a worryingly vague term), and doesn't mandate the method for gaining the information required – that would be left up to the companies concerned to provide if they comply.

Federal forces protest that they have been outfoxed by moves such as the shift to https and messaging encryption, and rules are needed to ensure they get the data they claim to need promptly. While Congress dilly-dallies on the issue, it appears that the Obama administration is going to throw its own proposals into the ring.

Different companies have different rules for dealing with federal inquires for data. Google has kickstarted a trend for transparency in this area by reporting all such investigations, and Twitter and even Microsoft are now doing the same. According to The Internet Association, which represents Google and others in the field, these new proposals aren't acceptable.

This keeps confusing me, I thought they needed a court order to invade your privacy, like tapping your phone, internet or searching through your underwear drawer.

Offline Hooked

• Forum Member
  • Holder of the benign issue!
Re: Feds want to fine companies that refuse wiretap requests
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:05:46 am »
Same 'ol story.  Different application.  Truly frightening at best.

I need to keep the FBI out of my underwear storage compartment....as my personal things are there.  It would be interesting to see what's in the drawers of the asshats that actually come up with this crap.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Feds want to fine companies that refuse wiretap requests

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx