gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 06:56:07 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  Compatibility with the old things.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Compatibility with the old things.  (Read 3430 times)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
Compatibility with the old things.
« on: February 15, 2013, 07:04:32 am »
It looks like the new project is running along nicely.
Question...

Will the newly written software support the other methods of chat hosting while preventing those from attack as well?

Such as Ouka, Robo, and the others, including (dare I say) WCS?

Even though its a KM thing, I still like WCS. It would be nice if it can still be used while not sending out packets at the rate of one hundred trillion terrabytes per nanosecond, like it does when the attacks occur. I know that I can disconnect it from the WPN and the flooding halts, but then no listing can happen for the room. So I disconnect, then post here and there as to the hash for the room. Its a royal pain.

Or will the 2nd party software things that many like have to be rewritten to connect and operate properly?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Compatibility with the old things.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:13:13 am »
if the new client doesnt stop the chat server junk it will at least slow it down

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:50:04 am »
The lack of traffic control and validation in the room listings is one of the areas being exloited.
However the chat traffic between client and server is not. I don't beleive there are any changes foreseeable there.
The room listing function however will need to be changed. That function of the current servers eventually will not work without being updated.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:54:34 am »
I'm sure you both noticed the emergency room list facility that has been added as a transitional mechanism while we work on the important changes necessary, with the click of a box a chat list will arrive from a web server and thus all rooms can be listed even if they are set to offline, obviously this wont be a permanent state of affairs but we wanted folks to be able to have a usuable network from day one and that was seen as the best way ahead while we gathered users prior to making the protocol level changes Silicon has mentioned.

Code has already been added to ignore junk packets and other annoyancces but a WPN mechanism change is the best way ahead for the future.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  Compatibility with the old things.

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx