gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 06:19:31 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks  |  How to use Windows Update Properly
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How to use Windows Update Properly  (Read 5020 times)

Offline miljo123

• Forum Member
How to use Windows Update Properly
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:35:18 pm »
How to use Windows Update Properly

If you want to save your files to your hard drive, so after a format you dont have to download them all again, here's How:

- Logon to Windows Update

- Choose Windows Update Catalogue (left hand pane)

- Choose Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems (right hand pane)

- Choose your version and language then Search

- Choose one the following:

- Critical Updates and Service Packs
- Service Packs and Recommended Downloads
- Multi-Language Features (0)

- Once chosen simply click on what you want to download and then back at the top click Review Download Basket

- You are taken to the next page where at the top you can specify where the downloads are to be saved.

- Click Download now. Each patch will make a directory under the root of the folder you saved them to.
Once finished you need to go to where you saved the file (s) to and then simply install all your patches.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
  • Linux:2003 FreeBSD:2004 Debian/BSD developer:2006
Re: How to use Windows Update Properly
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 01:36:23 am »
If you format your drive those directories will still be lost.
BSD -  The Daemons Are No Longer Just Inside My Head.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:01:45 pm »
 :lol: I just go to Tools at the top of my Internet Explorer and click on Windows Update. I used to save them, had over 300. But it comes to a point of do I want to store these updates on my drive, never knowing if/when I'm going to use them again. They constantly update the hotfixes too so the version of the hotfix you have today may be outdated tomorrow. My thinking it's better to just enjoy your free space on your drive and go get the ones you need as you need them.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:32:01 am »
Thanks for that, miljo123; it is useful to me.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 10:12:19 pm »
This was actually a bot that made the thread wasnt it?

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 08:01:17 am »
It could be; I'm not skilled or knowledgeable about such things. If it's a bot it is designed to sucker people just like me.

Offline Forested665

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 02:44:15 pm »
I think this was the same one and went and pasted a bunch of info about dial up phone modems from the wikipedia page.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 03:13:07 pm »
I dont think it was a bot for starters.

However, if you are concerned forested please speak to a supervisor or an assistant to find more information or to let them know what is going on. This is the last time we ask you to stay on track with threads or post publicly you need to do this kind of thing through pm or msn.

I do think it is a person wanting to share the information as it is quick and useful to many members.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 04:50:07 pm »
I am posting this as a last chance for you John. Noone else knows what to do to get you to see that while your behaviour on this forum has not been "bad" in the sence that you do or say things to purposely try and get under people's skin it has been bad in the sence that you appear to take a notion that they must move around you or go by what you want. This forum is not here for you to have the last post in every thread you choose to have the last post in. Last week I purposely tried to post behind you on post you made in the linux thread just to see how you would take it and it saddens me to say you did not disappoint me. You intentionally post pretty much the same responce to every post I made in an effort to guarantee you had the last post. It appears to me and others of this forum that you only wish to see how many times your name can be listed on the main page of the forum when you log on. I meant what I said when I said that I believe that you can and will do great things for this network in the future if you could only get past yourself and this apparent obsession with seeing your name as the last poster in every thread. A lot of what I see you post is informative and shows that you obviously are intelligent and have a lot of potential but to be perfectly honest you cancel that out with every bullshit post you make just to ensure that your name is last on that list. There is a thread for that and I know I don't speak for just myself when I say you should keep it there. Your attitude on this forum will no longer be tolerated. This is not up for discussion. And you may now consider this your final warning. Changing names will not do you any good as the real you will eventually show up regardless of the name you choose and any other name will be quickly removed as a member of this forum as soon as it is noticed who you are. Please be aware that you are my friend and will always be but we cannot allow you to continue in the manner that you have been behaving on this forum. In the future if you have a problem with a poster on this forum there is a propper and acceptible fashion to report it and it would be greatly appreciated if you would use it. Insulting, abuse, or mislabeling users as it is in this case is not now, nor has it been, nor will it ever be, acceptible behavior and I'll thank you now to keep that in mind in the future. As for your opinon of this user "miljo123" I have read all 3 of there posts on this forum and though they appear copied in the one instance it does not make this user a bot. If it turns out that this user is a bot we will deal with that matter as we see fit when it comes to light. How we do that will be up to administrative members of this forum and its supervisors. If any of this post is hard for you to understand then my suggestion to you is to take it as it simply means we're about to handle our business and for now you are our business and with that perhaps you should mind your Ps n Qs from this day forth. That's all.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 06:24:13 am »
I make use of Linux in this case.

Image the entire drive (compressed) partitions and all under Clonezilla.

If that image is stored somewhere on some media, your house can burn down, people can break in, steal your pc.

No matter, with Clonezilla you can restore the entire drive bit by bit with absolute perfection later.

That software used to be rather tacky and half assed years ago, but has greatly improved.

Such as the bit by bit exact duplicate of the entire drive part.

In the olden days Clonezilla was little better than copying files via cut and paste.  lol

It works and perfectly. I should know. I dont like Windows restore, if often doesnt restore at all. Can destroy the OS as well.

An exact image of the entire drive is way better.

The thing will even take your nice new drive of whatever.. 3T and duplicate the old drive so well that the new drive is now the same size as the old one. 2 Gig or 3T.

Other software (for free) can resize the new drive later to use full capacity. EaseUS Partition Master for example.

I have taken to use that as a utility.

I like to fake out my drive C to think that it is smaller than it really is. Saves time on the automatic defrag, keeps useful space around if I really need it or data loss problems happen.

Can resize the partition up as required in minutes of time and reliably.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks  |  How to use Windows Update Properly

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx