gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 01:59:59 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Other Software  |  3rd party winmx replacement?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 3rd party winmx replacement?  (Read 35178 times)

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
Re: 3rd party winmx replacement?
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2010, 12:04:38 am »
Is it not possible to obtain the source code of Winmx. I know you cant obtain the source and copy everything, but at lesat you would have a working client to work from. I personally would like to help with developing the new client, i just don't think that i can grasp the coding.

I can understand users wanting to see screenshots and demo's, i can also understand that you do not like the idea of being put under pressure. Please undersatnd that users are excited and interested. I respect all of the work that everyone here as put into WinMx and i can't begin to imagine what it would be like if this work and effort had not been caried out.

Everything will come to light when the time is right people.

System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2010, 12:34:13 am »
Everything will come to light when the time is right people.

Exactly, couldnt have said it better myself Watcher  :-D

Offline whohas

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 02:03:27 pm »
I am glad to hear the good news that people are still interested in developing on this dated protocol.  It's fine to say "oh winmx is old u should move on" but still has hundreds of thousands of ppl on it (mainly japan) but still this is popular so it makes sense to develop on it instaed of trying to convice these thousands of ppl to move onto other software hehe.

But ofc I am patient like most ppl, hell, did u see when I first started this post? lol

keep up the good work, and if you need any non programming support for this (such as setting up a website/forums/irc channel) please let us know, I am more than willing to help in any way I can within the scope of my abilities, I have a million ideas and plans since winmx stopped developing which would love to discuss with ppl making a new app to work into this.

Will check back in a few months or so, i just hope I can find the info if/when it is posted from this project u are working on, perhaps u can add a note to this thread? :)

(ps, I tried to edit my previous post but for some reason the edit button is not appearing, is this normal? I will try on this post see if it appears)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2010, 08:37:01 pm »
I,m sure some tasks will make themselves known as the project progresses and more folks will be needed to create support material and publicity, however that's still a little way off yet but rest assured when the final hurdle has been crossed and there's simply cleaning up and minor bug fixing I,ll be hot heeled to here to pass on the good news and ask for volunteers for translations, new user help information and all the usual paraphernalia of a new release, till then its all hands to the pumps and silence is golden time, progress is good but we havent reached a critical stage yet that will signal the majority of the project is done, as usual I ask folks for patience and ideas good or bad for new features or concepts, I would like to make clear however that in this first build we are minimising anything new as the main aim is to build on an existing foundation and only offer features that increase security, privacy and we hope file transfer speed, anything else is a second level priority, so the order we hope to deliver in is basic client, updated client and improved client with as much backwards compatibility as we can build in without compromising any of the required attributes, it wont be easy and will take time to deliver on all of this but the main thing is we are making the right steps to reach that stage and all who can help to speed up the process are free to join the project, it is after all a community project and thus we will all gain by doing what we can to deliver it.

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 10:26:43 pm »
Having read all the foregoing, and small things like the 2GB limit, I feel that one salient point has been missed by sooooooooo many...

The Original WinMX has proven so durable, safe and well designed that even WITH its little niggles, it still runs, even under Windows 7 64 bit, and various non-windows platforms, and still does exactly what it has always been intended too.

Remember that the various patches do not actually modify the working of WinMX, merely its connectivity.

All this should be borne in mind, i think, when asking for an update, which is really, in my mind at least, what the so-called 'new client' will be, even tho it is indeed coming from different authors
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2010, 11:03:16 pm »
It is indeed a fine peice of software Bluey and I,m sure that fact isnt lost on most folks, our long term project goals are aimed at trying to recover some of the ground we have lost with the introduction of things such as throttling, only by the introduction of transport stream security can we close that hole in our armour.

Anyway enough jabbering from me  :lol:

Offline whohas

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 02:06:11 am »
just checking in this request as I do once a year or so, is there still no other app which connects via the WPNP peer caches?..

hey guys, happy to hear you are all still alive and kicking :)

I know i check back every year or so to see if any progress on any new clients that have been developed on this protocol yet, I dont suppose there is any? I had a search around but found nothing.. if there is some news pls let me know,

thanks

Offline Camlan04

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2021, 09:10:01 pm »
May I say more on this issue? It is my understanding that if an app has been abandoned there is no legal ramifications at all. Kevin Hearn & Front Code abandoned WinMX in 2005. They have no legal standing on anything done with it at this point. If we did reverse engineer WinMX and Kevin Hearn tried to do anything about it. It wouldn't hold up because he doesn't want anything to do with WinMX. Read here https://lwn.net/Articles/134642/ Thanks Cam :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Other Software  |  3rd party winmx replacement?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx