gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 11:34:24 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Is Your Wifi Too Slow ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is Your Wifi Too Slow ?  (Read 671 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Is Your Wifi Too Slow ?
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:12:58 am »
We are all going slower than we need to according to cisco

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9245793/Old_school_Wi_Fi_is_slowing_down_networks

The early Wi-Fi standards that opened the world's eyes to wire-free networking are now holding back the newer, faster protocols that followed in their wake, Cisco Systems said.

The IEEE 802.11 standard, now available in numerous versions with speeds up to 6.9Gbps (bits per second) and growing, still requires devices and access points to be compatible with technologies that date to the late 1990s. But those older standards -- the once-popular 802.11b and an even slower spec from 1997 -- aren't nearly as efficient as most Wi-Fi being sold today.

As a result, Cisco thinks the 802.11 Working Group and the Wi-Fi Alliance should find a way to let some wireless gear leave those versions behind. Two Cisco engineers proposed that idea last week in a presentation at the working group's meeting in Los Angeles. Their plan drew some debate from others who expect a new wave of low-power Wi-Fi gear to emerge for the so-called "Internet of Things."

I find it suprising that they don't just name a new standard and leave matters at that, so folks can purchase the faster equipment without confusion and loss of speed, the latter being very important in the p2p world  :)

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: Is Your Wifi Too Slow ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:33:26 pm »
The future in wireless is FPGA antennas and general packet handling by a CPU.

This will enable them to physically alter your WiFi radio to send and receive data on a different wave length through a software update. It'll also enable you to connect to completely different and incompatible wireless standards like WiFi and WiMax and LTE etc

That's the future. Personally I picked up an 802.11ac router just over a year ago and the performance is excellent. I got an 802.11ac laptop last year too (although returned but thats a subject for another topic lol) and the performance between the two of them was really fast. I was seeing 800Mb/s transfers!

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
Re: Is Your Wifi Too Slow ?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:33:50 pm »
Makes you wonder how great is the part in data overhead?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Is Your Wifi Too Slow ?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx