gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 07:02:21 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Movie Downloaders Different To Music Downloaders Study Claims
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Movie Downloaders Different To Music Downloaders Study Claims  (Read 1887 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Strange... but true  :)

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/06/piracy-film-music-study-pay-illegal-download-damage

People who illegally download movies also love going to the cinema and do not mind paying to watch films, research has shown.

Those who illegally download movies are more likely to be wealthier and less worried about being caught than their music counterparts, concluded the study, thought to be the first to examine the differences between movie and music pirates.

Dr Joe Cox, one of the University of Portsmouth economists involved in the study, said: "It is interesting to see that people who illegally download large quantities of movie files continue to pay for legal movie consumption to a far greater extent than music downloaders."

Movie pirates are also more likely to cut down their piracy if they feel they are harming the industry compared with people who illegally download music, according to Cox and fellow Portsmouth University economist Professor Alan Collins.

Theres plenty of other interesting data in the full article, its well worth a read   8)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Movie Downloaders Different To Music Downloaders Study Claims
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:22:17 pm »
20$ for a 2hr long 1080p movie or 20$ for a cd with maybe 2 good songs..... i think the bluray is giving you much more bang for your buck...

....now if the music industry would pull their heads out and sell cd EPs (about 4 tracks) for maybe 3$ they might be on to something....

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:39:26 pm »
A splendid Idea Stripes  :yes:

Unfortunately someone has to pay for the b grade material, I like remixes of those tracks I enjoy, you cant get too much of a good thing  8)

Offline FULLER

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:42:28 pm »
A splendid Idea Stripes  :yes:

Unfortunately someone has to pay for the b grade material, I like remixes of those tracks I enjoy, you cant get too much of a good thing  8)

I thought you didnt have time to post as you're "too busy"

My *****  :lol:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:22:49 pm »
Nice to see you in a different topic Fuller, I do allow myself a few small breaks to post up news and comment on topics of general interest, if you have been following my posts you would already have noticed they have at times asked for help to keep the site ticking over so I could do further client related work but when I see little news and activity I have a duty to try to reverse that trend, I think you already know this and just wish to be rude, thats a great shame but as I mentioned I dont have to be rude in turn,

Thanks for your clear support of the work I do here anyway and I shall get on with some of the documentation I promised, its about 3/4 along and I hope you take the time to read through it for errors when I make it available as I  like to think we are all in this as a team.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:38:24 am »
uh... ignoring fullers post...

heres a 4 track example; http://www.mattscdsingles.com/acatalog/OMC_How_Bizarre.html  .... unfortunately thats one of the few sites that specializes in singles... but 8$ for 4 tracks??? maybe its the collectability?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:02:24 am »
A very apt selection  ;)

I had the thought that many artists don't have confidence in their own work and thus they sign contracts that go along with charging more in less quantity to create some faux monopoly of the release, it seems ludicrous that it costs more to purchase a web vendored version of a recording than it does to purchase the plastic physical equivalent and you cant sell those web downloads on as easily as you can a hunk of plastic so for more cost you get a poorer deal if you download an albums worth of material. An improved model would be to lower the cost of the intangible version so folks would feel happier purchasing more and more and for the folks like myself make further variations and special items that add extra value to the purchase, its not really a topic requiring the intellect of Einstein from my point of view, drop the false scarcity maketing model give the folks what they want at a very fair price and sit back and watch the money pile up without having to pay "protection" money to the Mafia organisations, if the price is fair folks will always look to meet it, when they know they have been robbed and are looked at by the movie and the recording industries as oranges to be squeezed they are likely to treat the creators of entertainment with a mirror of the same disdainful attitude.   

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 01:15:08 am »
one hugely annoying problem with web vended music is that it is usually in a lossy format... if i bought a file (bought a file?? just typing that feels strange) it better be in FLAC (.wav counts too)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 01:43:33 am »
I remember when folks where paying for 128k  :shocked:
I might have never been any the wiser had I not discovered WinMX and the various bitrates on offer that make a lot of difference to the depth of the "sound".
I dont mind compressed formats but I suppose its a bit like jpeg versus png, if you can produce a product in a lossless format then why not do so ?

Offline FULLER

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 05:50:52 pm »
Nice to see you in a different topic Fuller, I do allow myself a few small breaks to post up news and comment on topics of general interest, if you have been following my posts you would already have noticed they have at times asked for help to keep the site ticking over so I could do further client related work but when I see little news and activity I have a duty to try to reverse that trend, I think you already know this and just wish to be rude, thats a great shame but as I mentioned I dont have to be rude in turn,

Thanks for your clear support of the work I do here anyway and I shall get on with some of the documentation I promised, its about 3/4 along and I hope you take the time to read through it for errors when I make it available as I  like to think we are all in this as a team.

You can rely on me Ghostly  :yes: No slacking now  :lol:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 06:38:32 pm »
Yes boss  :D

Offline FULLER

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »
More stats less chat so get on with it or we will be waiting forever

well we already have ffs my god this is SLOW  :lol:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 12:37:57 am »
I remember when folks where paying for 128k  :shocked:
I might have never been any the wiser had I not discovered WinMX and the various bitrates on offer that make a lot of difference to the depth of the "sound".
I dont mind compressed formats but I suppose its a bit like jpeg versus png, if you can produce a product in a lossless format then why not do so ?

i remember using the original 'bladeenc' and wondering why in the world my ripped music sounded like someone disconnected the tweeters... im glad lame has taken up the throne and being tweaked to the max sounds the best that mp3 can possibly sound... tho frequencies above 16khz still arent 'right' .. even at 320kbit ... this especially shows in chiptunes, techno and dubstep...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Movie Downloaders Different To Music Downloaders Study Claims

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx