gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 09:06:11 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Sharing many directories with part-archives under WinMX 2.6 - hang off
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sharing many directories with part-archives under WinMX 2.6 - hang off  (Read 4975 times)

Offline Speedfreak

• Forum Member
Hello Community,

I´m new in this Forum.

If I want share under WinMX 2.6 many directories with many Part-Archives (rar or zip), WinMX hang off after few minutes.

With opened task manager i can see, the Memory go up to 1,9GB and then WinMX hang off.

I had tried my System swap file  outsource to the SSD with different memory sizes and without a System swap file ... did nothing as well.
The problem was tested under two operating systems: Windows 7 Professional x64 and Windows Server 2011 ... both the same phenomena.

Someone gave me an advice how I can share many directories with part-archives?

Thanks for all the answers :)

Regards,
Speedy

is there a reason you're sticking with 2.6 and aren't using one of the later versions?

Offline Speedfreak

• Forum Member
Hey silicon_toad2000,

thanks for your answer.

I`m using the version 2.6 since many years ago and wouldn`t change to a actually version.

Any ideas?

Greetings,
Speedy

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
WinMx 2.6 has a few drawbacks, one of those is a security vunerability and the other is its notorious for losing incompleted files, this is due to corruption of the  "incomplete downloads.txt"  file in the winmx folder, you should be albe to open the file with notepad and check through it for bad entries or missing data fields and write such data in manually, however if a file hash is missing then you would do better to remove that entry from the list and then go to a possible match and right click on it in the search list and select "manual download" this will allow you to download the file without it having to match the hash of the old one.

Win7 and Vista both have issues with allowing older programs to rename files and this might have been partially to blame for your current issue,

I dont use your operating system so I cant assist with how to go about tweaking the files properties to allow for file name changing by a particular application but a google about  "user account control" might be informative.

Offline Speedfreak

• Forum Member
Hi GhostShip,

thanks for your answer, too.

I don't really understand what you try to tell me...

WinMX 2.6 don`t have any file hash system, only newer versions.

I´ve tried to install a clear installation --> put in manually privat server-connections -> setting shared files, and at this point I'm fail.

In the "incomplete downloads.txt" I can`t change anything, because it`s a new installation and I've downloaded nothing before.

For your information, what`s stay in the "incomplete downloads.txt":
//WinMX incomplete downloads
//
//PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Perhaps your right about the 2.6 I might have been thinking about the 3.1 update that had code in to convert the incompleted files.

The winmx incomplete downloads file should contain a list of files that are not yet completed, if it is empty that is a mystery to me as you stated that you where having issues loading incompleted files  :undecided:

What is your natuaral language Speedfreak as I think we are losing something in translation here ?

I think he's talking more about adding numerous shares, his program seems to hang.

what happens when you add a few at a time speedy?

Offline Speedfreak

• Forum Member
I think he's talking more about adding numerous shares, his program seems to hang.

what happens when you add a few at a time speedy?

Yes, this is about I talk.
Numerically or alphabetically are the same...the problem is only sharing many directories with many part-achieves.
Many years ago I've used this software (2.6) with mostly 10-20 directories and dearchived files, that's work fine.
Now I have a other structure on the harddisc.

If I try to share few directories with part-archives its works fine, too. But if it to much, WinMX hang off.
I`m wondering that WinMX move the shared files in the memory, I can watch it`s to much the memory stops at ~1,9GB and WinMX hang off.

My Problem have to do only with sharing not with down- or uploads...

are you adding there one by one or all at the same time?
how many folders are you trying to share?

that's quite a lot of files. have you tried adding one sub-directory at a time.

when you add files, winmx has to create a hash for each file and when you add a lot of files at once it gets a bit lost.

do you connect with a secondary connection or a primary?
have you tried the current winmx 3.54b with the community patch? does that do the same thing?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
WinMX 2.6 doesn't have secondary or primaries Toad its a Nap only client, it was also written to be compatible with windows 98 and thus may suffer from some serious file size issues, I haven't used 2.6 in real life so its a trip through the history books on this one  :)

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
I have been using 2.6 on windows 95 and adding or even moving over 100 files at the same time guaranteed a system hang and if you were unlucky loss of files.

does it hold up if you add less than that at a time wonderer, and just keep adding till they're all added?

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
it seems to work if you add 10-20 files at a time
monk work if you ask me but I had to do it that way when I setup my first external hard disk

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Sharing many directories with part-archives under WinMX 2.6 - hang off

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx