gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 03:24:40 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Former NSA Lawyer Asks Google To 'Forget' All Of Techdirt's Posts About Him
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Former NSA Lawyer Asks Google To 'Forget' All Of Techdirt's Posts About Him  (Read 1160 times)

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140609/06552627523/former-nsa-lawyer-asks-google-to-forget-all-techdirts-posts-about-him.shtml

this right to be forgotten thing sounds a bit like censorship on one hand, on the other hand, if you're stuck with some practical joke every time someone googles you it might be a good idea.

Former NSA counsel and surveillance/security state hypeman Stewart Baker has had just about enough of Techdirt making "distorted claims" about his statements for the "purposes of making money." To counter this, he's sent a "right to be forgotten" request to Google stating the following:

https://www.techdirt.com/blog/?tag=stewart+baker

Reason this link violates the right to be forgotten:

This link is inappropriate. It compiles stories making many distorted claims about my political views. Political views are a particularly sensitive form of personal data. The stories are written by men who disagree with me, and they are assembled for the purpose of making money for a website, a purpose that cannot outweigh my interest in controlling the presentation of sensitive data about myself.

Baker's certainly not hoping for Techdirt's posts on him to be de-listed (although I imagine he'd indulge in a chuckle or two if they went down). He's mocking the ridiculousness of the "right to be forgotten" ruling Google is now attempting to comply with. He has submitted other requests as well over such things as outdated photos and "inaccurate" statements as the kickoff to an informal "hack" of a bad law.

I feel bad for Google, which is stuck trying to administer this preposterous ruling. But that shouldn't prevent us from showing quite concretely how preposterous it is.

I propose a contest. Let's all ask for takedowns. The person who makes the most outrageous (and successful) takedown request will win a "worst abuse of privacy law" prize, otherwise known as a Privy.

Stewart's takedown request targeting Techdirt is mostly tongue-in-cheek, but it does highlight the sort of abuse that should be expected when government bodies attempt to force the internet to bend to their will. Granting a "right to be forgotten" pretty much ensures that a majority of the requests will be no more legitimate than Baker's.

Multiple advocates for the law have compared it with the infamous DMCA takedown notice, something that has also been routinely abused. But at least the DMCA takedown carries with it the (almost never enforced) charge of perjury for issuing bogus takedowns. The RTBF form simply asks for a copy of the submitter's identification. There's nothing in it to discourage abuse of the system. If you don't like something someone has said about you on the web, just fill out a webform.

While we at Techdirt disagree with most of what Stewart Baker says, at least his position on privacy remains consistent. His "Privys" -- an "award" given to the worst or most hypocritical abuser of privacy laws -- have generally been awarded to worthy recipients, usually people who tend to think these laws exist to save them from their own embarrassments.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
This law has a real world analogue of sorts in that yes its possible to dig up dirt on folks using the good old fashioned library and doing a lot of reading and that it seems it the natural barrier to something being remembered forever by any large cluster of folks, bar a few dictators of course, but when something is online its available pretty much 24/7 for an unknown quantity of years and thus having the natural loss of interest through diffusion of attention focus is not taking place, in the main its likely that only those who are a bit stressed about having something noticeable about themselves going around the web for years on end  who are likely to want to make usage of this procedure , the rest of can then enjoy our 3 minutes of fame for a considerable tad longer  :-D

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Former NSA Lawyer Asks Google To 'Forget' All Of Techdirt's Posts About Him

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx