gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:35:12 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Monkey’s selfie at center of copyright brouhaha
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Monkey’s selfie at center of copyright brouhaha  (Read 1071 times)

Monkey’s selfie at center of copyright brouhaha
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:55 pm »
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/08/monkeys-selfie-at-center-of-copyright-brouhaha/

The picture is among the thousands the site makes available for free under its Wikimedia Commons, a fact that Slater says is costing him royalties. The picture went viral in 2011 when the media reported on the selfie. "He must have taken hundreds of pictures by the time I got my camera back, but not very many were in focus. He obviously hadn't worked that out yet," Slater told The Telegraph in July 2011 as he described the monkey hijacking his gear.

The image has at times been removed from the Wikimedia Commons by various site editors.

"If the monkey took it, it owns copyright, not me—that’s their basic argument. What they don’t realize is that it needs a court to decide that," Slater told the Telegraph Wednesday.

Slater said the picture should not be in the public domain. "They've got no right to say that it's public domain. A monkey pressed the button, but I did all the setting up," he said.

But Wikimedia countered, saying, "To claim copyright, the photographer would have had to make substantial contributions to the final image, and even then, they'd only have copyright for those alterations, not the underlying image. This means that there was no one on whom to bestow copyright, so the image falls into the public domain."

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Monkey’s selfie at center of copyright brouhaha
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:43:05 am »
oh ffs ... if the monkey took it its the monkeys copyright......... ....copyright law is so stupid...

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:37:55 pm »
This is a serious mistake by the wikimedia foundation, its clear that this is classed as a "work for hire" and thus whoever took the image is irrelevant, the owner is the one who contracted with the monkies, all thats required is a valid pawprint signature to seal the deal  :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_for_hire

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:28:11 pm »
I actually heard this bloke on the radio trying to suggest that "technically" the monkey was his assistant and photographers assistants waive their right to any copyright in favour of the photographer.   Joke.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Monkey’s selfie at center of copyright brouhaha

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx