gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 10:35:54 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft To Entice Customers With "Free" Windows 10 Upgrade
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft To Entice Customers With "Free" Windows 10 Upgrade  (Read 1504 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Microsoft To Entice Customers With "Free" Windows 10 Upgrade
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:26:12 pm »
It looks like MS are doing their best to stimulate interest in their new operating system  :nerd:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30924022

Microsoft has revealed that Windows 10 will bring its voice-controlled assistant Cortana to PCs.
It also unveiled a headset that it said would one day project the operating system over views of the real world.

In addition, the firm announced that the OS upgrade would be offered free of charge for devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.
The offer, which is limited to the Windows 10's first year of release, may aid its adoption.
It marks a change in strategy from Microsoft's previous policy of charging for major updates, and could help avoid a repeat of the relatively slow uptake of Windows 8.

I suspect we are seeing an attempt here to copy the "core" product free "everything-else-costs-bucks" model used by other hi tech vendors, I cant see any real reason to jump to windows 10 but then I haven't seen anything of it but images yet. I think MS need to spend a lot more time devoted to explaining just what you gain and also what you will lose with this updated software.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: Microsoft To Entice Customers With "Free" Windows 10 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 01:09:36 am »
If people are on Windows 8, it's a great upgrade. Brings back what people loved about Windows 7 but keeps the speed improvements Windows 8 had.

I'm really interested in this XBOX remote play feature. Might make me buy an XBOX.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 09:25:54 am »
@pri remote play has been on playstation since the ps3... could use a psp as the remote... now the ps3 ps4 and vita all work in remote play....... microsoft is behind the curve (again)...

I cant see any real reason to jump to windows 10
since they are offering it to win7 users as well it would be useful come 2019 when win7 is EOL.... ....if you want to keep windows, with its monthly security updates that it -still- cant drop in-place, on your machine... bleh... microsoft may surprise me..... someday...

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 07:01:07 pm »
Remote play on the PS3/PS4 has always required either a PSP or a Sony Vaio notebook/desktop. I don't have any of those.

I do however own a PC. Honestly the remote play with PC is enough to make me get an XBOX ONE.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 06:56:23 am »
yawn.

From what I read win 8.1 is faster and less demanding, than Win7, but no fix for the way it doesnt save every single directory position and stop doing this insta-sort thing on files copied over to an open directory, making one hunt around by memory as to what they just copied over.

Win 10 does not fix the issue. Instead, even less of old software will run on Win 10.

I for one, will not take them up on their free offer.

Its crazy enough that smooth and fast Win7 as young as it is, is now at 'end of life'.

Someone, somewhere, at Microsoft needs to look at anything XP and older. Make the new OS work like that, with the current speed improvements and stablity, then.. I may be impressed.

The old software had no problem, stashing every single folder position on the desktop, no problem leaving the positions of files within the folder alone until, refreshed, manually, and no problem with running older software.

I dont plan on 'upgrading' to 10 not even for free, until they correct the obvious bugs that M$ calls 'features'.

Hell even a simple thing like cut a file and paste it somewhere else on the same drive...
On XP and under, a simple change to the index on the drive would make it so instantly, no matter the filesize.

On Win7 and up, (prolly Vista too, but I never did Vista) its takes just as long as doing an actual copy of the file. What are they doing? Copy the file as a duplicate to another area on the drive, then delete the original later? Silly. That is how the elderly use a computer.

Microsoft surely knows that its much faster to simply change the index on the drive with cut/paste.

For whatever reason, Microsoft obviously has no interest in any way to make the newer operating systems as easy to use and efficient as the old ones XP and lower.

The new ones may be more stable and appear to be 'faster'. But that idea comes to a halt once you try to like.. do something that should happen in an instant.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:37:05 am »
they keep making the kernel and other core components faster and lighter while making the shell bloated and heavier..... im not updating to win10 either... you should really look into linux...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft To Entice Customers With "Free" Windows 10 Upgrade

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx