gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 03:14:19 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  US Gov Settles Facebook Impersonation Case
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: US Gov Settles Facebook Impersonation Case  (Read 774 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
US Gov Settles Facebook Impersonation Case
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:41:27 pm »
IT looks like the the US government have done the decent thing and settled a case brought by a lady over the theft of her Identity by the federal authorities  :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30921804
The US Justice Department is to pay a woman $134,000 (£88,640) after making a fake Facebook page that contained a photograph of her half-clothed.
Sondra Arquiett had sued the government after it had suggested she had "implicitly consented" to the creation of a page using her identity since she had previously granted officers access to her mobile phone. Her case was supported by digital rights group, the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

"If I'm co-operating with law enforcement, and law enforcement says, 'Can I search your phone?' - my expectation is that they will search the phone for evidence of a crime, not that they will take things off my phone and use it in another context," said Nate Cardozo, a lawyer at the organisation.

It seems facebook is unhappy  also with this type of identity fraud..

"Facebook asks that the DEA immediately confirm that it has ceased all activities on Facebook that involve the impersonation of others or that otherwise violate our terms and policies."

I don't think the penalty is enough in this case to set some level of deterrence against repeating this type of underhand activity, however when your suing the gov it might be a good idea to settle for less when your an ex-drug dealer who wishes to put the past behind them.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  US Gov Settles Facebook Impersonation Case

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx