gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 08:34:40 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks  |  Well, there I went and made another pc again
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Well, there I went and made another pc again  (Read 2628 times)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
Well, there I went and made another pc again
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:42:58 am »
Got a raise in pay and was tired of dealing with an old Celeron, which I thought was fast. at 2.4Ghz single core.

This new homebuid is an Intel Core I5. It isnt the best that money can buy, if you want to spend around $800 on the microprocessor to go even faster, go right ahead, too rich for me.

This thing is 4 cores at 3.2Ghz each. 64 bits. Its ungodly fast.

No hyperthreading, for that, use I7 and pay another $100 on the processor.

Doesnt matter to me this hyperthreading idea for what I wanted speed for (transcoding video asap).

With FFMpeg as the codec, that will use all cores at 100 percent.

What took an hour now takes ten minutes.

It gets rather toasty (the chip) under full load, goes from using 4 watts to 30 watts, but cools down quick enough when done, with its automajic clock speed and fan control, not a big problem.

I love it.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Well, there I went and made another pc again
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 09:26:07 am »
hyperthreading just makes more of the different parts of a single core active at once (which means more heat) ... but with 4 physical cores on the cpu you have.. eh... unless you want to live-stream a HD resolution Dirac video ... or want to show off what you can do with the game 'the witcher' you have all the cpu you really need....

the biggest 'jump' that one would notice is a single core cpu with hyperthreading (i have no idea why ppl say to turn of HT on the p4... it works much better with it on...)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks  |  Well, there I went and made another pc again

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.017 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx