gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 06:45:19 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Nice To Meet You!  |  virus scan results after d/ling WinMx.exe
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: virus scan results after d/ling WinMx.exe  (Read 3571 times)

Offline UNIQUE1819

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
virus scan results after d/ling WinMx.exe
« on: September 17, 2016, 08:11:13 pm »
Defender Pro found a virus in WinMxexe after scheduled auto scan.

Offline UNIQUE1819

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
Re: virus scan results after d/ling WinMx.exe
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:17:17 pm »
Just wanted to add the scan was performed today

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:12:50 pm »
It's quite likely a false positive, its not the first time that winmx has been flagged as being a virus but when you ask the companies making the claim they don't have any actual details to back their claims, what is usually the case is that they found a virus at some time in another application and now their search engine looks for bits of code that match those in the virus, the matched elements can often be parts of a program that isn't a virus and I am sure this is the case here, the only item I believe that might trigger an anti virus warning is the patch in reality as that has to hijack the winmx.com domain to redirect it to the new user run caches, obviously that's not normal windows stuff so if anything I believe that's whats been detected.

The actual winmx.exe program we currently use has been around for 12 years and so far no one has ever found any real malware or virus in it, that's a pretty long time for such items to remain hidden if they actually exist so please bear this longevity in mind when investigating claims from AV vendors.

If you get any information that suggests anything other than the item I have suggested Unique1819 please let us know.

Offline ÐØØMÊ®

• Forum Member
  • I am coming for you, it is only a matter of time!
    • Quakehell
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:53:29 am »
Half of the things virus scanners pick up aren't even viruses, I always have to take quarantine stuff off the list with McAfee.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 10:11:15 pm »
Agreed Doomer  :yes:

This page is helpful for any of you wanting to ensure your using the genuine article

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=1242.0.html

You can grab a free tool to check the files here that embeds itself into your windows shell

http://www.snapfiles.com/php/sfdwnld.php?id=112399&a=7142456&loc=2

This tool is very simple to use, you merely right click on a file and select "Properties" to view the hash tab.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Nice To Meet You!  |  virus scan results after d/ling WinMx.exe

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx