gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 03:23:30 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all users worldwid
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all users worldwid  (Read 2377 times)

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all users worldwid
« on: March 20, 2015, 09:45:22 pm »
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-genuine-and-non-genuine-users/

after first reading this article there was a few updates, sounds weird

Updated: ZDNet's Ed Bott got a response from a Microsoft spokesperson, confirming that the free upgrade path is indeed available for all pirates everywhere, and not just in China.

Updated again: A Microsoft spokesperson sent Ars a full statement about the situation. The wording is interesting: "With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license... If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade." This story has been updated to reflect that you don't get a legitimate copy of Windows 10.

Updated again, again: We asked Microsoft for clarification on the material implications of having a "non-genuine" free upgrade to Windows 10, and got a "no comment" in response.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all users worldwid
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:55:17 pm »
so microsoft is giving away a 'pirate edition' of windows 10........ dunno about you but this just doesnt smell right...

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 02:23:14 am »
is that what that smell is

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 05:51:15 am »
They want people on the latest stuff so they can try and sell them apps from the Windows Store. They get a 30% cut on all the sales and it's worth billions to them. They'll still make system makers, OEM's pay for a license and business but end user consumers who upgrade from older versions are the laggards that they make no money from if they never upgrade.

Just very good business decision. Personally I'll never use the Windows Store but I'll take the free OS upgrade.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 01:40:47 pm »
Are we going to see folks trade in their perfectly good software for some pay-per-app version that is most likely missing existing features ?

The key question is this for me : Is this a  a real "upgrade" or a "downgrade" of functionality ?

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:05:19 pm »
from what i hear its the good one after the shit one, they screwed up win8 now win10 is good from what ive heard.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 06:23:35 pm »
Good for MS but not its users as per standard MS practice:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/windows-10-to-make-the-secure-boot-alt-os-lock-out-a-reality/

It seems they want to dupe folks with talk of a "free system" thats not actually free and make sure folks cant use alternative operating systems on equipment designed for win10 , what a suprise  :/

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 10:58:01 pm »
*facepaw* every fscking time microsoft offers a carrot they slap you with it...

one other thing about this win10 offer is... are there 'home' and 'pro' versions? something makes me think i would lose functionality by taking them up on this free 'upgrade'....

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 06:56:25 am »
I had been wondering if the new MS development team would be any better than those who got booted out. Now I know the answer: they are just as exploitative and anti-user as the old bunch.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all users worldwid

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx