gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 06:55:50 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  Phone robot keeps annoying telemarketers talking for as long as possible
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Phone robot keeps annoying telemarketers talking for as long as possible  (Read 3138 times)

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/phone-robot-keeps-annoying-telemarketers-talking-for-as-long-as-possible-20160201-gmj83u.html

Fed up with aggressive telemarketers calling his home, Roger Anderson initially constructed a simple test that would apply to every new number that called his house, sending auto-dialled calls to a recorded message to waste their time while adding legitimate friends and family to a white list.

While the system worked flawlessly, he noticed most marketing calls were only lasting a few seconds before hanging up. The crafty spammers were calling with auto-diallers that work their way through huge lists of numbers, only forwarding the call to a human telemarketer when a real human victim was heard.

Determined to have his system waste as much of the dodgy telemarketers' time as possible, Anderson made some modifications to his system.

At first he had his recording say "hello, hello, hello" a few times to prompt the auto-dialler to forward to a human. Then he added some "uh-huh"s and "right"s. Then a routine that inserted these non-committal affirmatives in between the caller's script to string them along.

Eventually, he had created an entire algorithm of clips that can keep a marketer talking for minutes on end, and he now posts recordings of those conversations - as well as advice for people affected by endless dodgy marketing - at his blog Jolly Roger Telephone and on the robot's Facebook page.

Most ingeniously, the robot detects a break in the conversation when the caller is trying to break up the long stream of "uh-huh"s, shifting to one of several inane subject changers. These include telling the caller they sound like a friend from high school, and freaking out that a bee is nearby. In each case, the robot then asks the caller to begin again from the start.

A newer version of the robot always asks "is this a real person?" at the start of the call. If the caller doesn't pause to consider the question, the robot knows it's talking to a recording and hits the 1 button a few times to get through to a human.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Phone robot keeps annoying telemarketers talking for as long as possible
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:53:43 pm »
This is the direct link to the guys haul of fun  :lol:

http://jollyrogertelephone.com/

Well spotted Silicon  8) 8) 8)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 11:23:29 pm »
too bad there is no download for this software...

Offline dawning

• I love WinMX!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:46:03 am »
Well, I still think that it's not the best thing to do to avoid those telemarketers. Based on some reports at whycall.me, those telemarketers will keep your number inside their calling list as long as you answer their calls. That's why I suggest you to just don't answer their calls if possible.
banned_ad

Offline Plum

• Core
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 05:39:00 am »
Well, I still think that it's not the best thing to do to avoid those telemarketers. Based on some reports at whycall.me, those telemarketers will keep your number inside their calling list as long as you answer their calls. That's why I suggest you to just don't answer their calls if possible.

Good point, but if you want to dedicate a phone number as a honeypot, then having a network of these will keep the marketers busy.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:07:40 pm »
for those with land lines getting battered by telemarketers i've found that leaving a fax machine plugged in for about a week thins the herd for a while...

Offline Plum

• Core
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 10:07:46 am »
Yes, hearing either of these noise patterns will push them away:

1. Dooooooooooo > oooooooooooh khhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. (modem -- in this case, the first 2 tones are the E and F below "tenor C" and above middle C, and digital hiss on the end, perhaps QAM encoding)

2. Dooooooooooo v errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr khhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. (fax)

Or, there is the autism game. You put someone with autism on the line with the simple rules that whoever hangs up or curses first is the loser, and that the longer they stay on the line, the more points they get.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 07:59:35 pm »
never thought of it as musical notes due to how harsh it sounds..

something geeky? note: you'll need to go to 1080p to read the text..

[youtube]abapFJN6glo[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abapFJN6glo

Or, there is the autism game. You put someone with autism on the line with the simple rules that whoever hangs up or curses first is the loser, and that the longer they stay on the line, the more points they get.
thats just mean to the autistic person...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMX Lyte  |  Phone robot keeps annoying telemarketers talking for as long as possible

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx