gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 05, 2024, 09:24:09 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  queueing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: queueing  (Read 1404 times)

rototo

queueing
« on: December 27, 2005, 02:41:45 pm »
hi,
i am new with winmx.  i am wondering about how the queuing of up/download actually works.  i could not get a satisfactory explanation itn the tutorials or help files.

when doing searches for files i already have, i can see people queued for these files (ie 23 45 99), then when i look in my upload section, no one is queued to upload these files!  why?

also, when i am queued to download a file (ie 34 58 88) does that mean that for the 34 queue, there is 33 other downloads waiting on that user'S computer?  what is the difference between remotedly queued and locally queued?  do i actually see all uploads waiting in the upload window?

i know this is a lot of questions, but i like to have a better understanding on how winmx works  thanks    toto

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
queueing
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 03:30:51 pm »
OK, let me try to explain all this a bit.
First of all the search function in winmx does NOT find all users and all files. This is due to the way the network works and there's nothing to be done about that unfortunately.
Generally you do NOT find yourself in searches either, so the numbers you see in your search results do not apply to you. You can simply see the 3 lowest queues available for a file under Status/Server to give you an idea about how long you're gonna have to wait.
The 3 numbers you see in your transfer window in downloads (upper half) are the 3 lowest numbers in queue of the people you're remotely queued with. (Yes, there's actually that number of people already queued with that person!) Being queued locally means the file is queued to download on YOUR winmx only. This usually happens when you've queued a number of files with that same person already. It will get queued with that person once another download has finished.
And yes, you see all people queued with you in your list in uploads (lower half of transfer window). You also have the possibility to start someone manually by right clicking on a name in your list and select "start transfer" to get a trade going for instance.
Hope this helps a bit in understanding how it all works - if not feel free to ask :)
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

rototo

queueing
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 04:11:08 pm »
thanks,
your response was very clear.

an ethic question:
is it right to cancel an upload when the user has no files to share?
is it right to mutually start a transfer (jump the queue), when queued to each other?

thanks

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
queueing
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 04:35:22 pm »
Well, this is my personal opinion of course, but yeah, when the other person hasn't got one single file to share I'd probably cancel it.
And yes, I think it's definitely ok to trade with each other, you will find that quite a lot especially with bigger files like tv-eps or movies.
It's also quite common to visit chat rooms set up for the pourpose of trading and finding each other.  
That's actually the only way of finding another person on the network ;)
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

bencre

Uploading problem
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 12:16:37 pm »
nylly444
Hi,

I am new with this concept and I have a question for you. When someone tries to upload (bottom half of the screen) I cannot find "start transfer" in the right click menu. How can I configure my system so that I can "start" someone?

c2R

queueing
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 12:37:34 pm »
@rototo - there are programmes such as leechammer which run alongside your winmx for the purpose of checking your queue and cancelling people who don't share automatically.

@bencre - when someone tries to download your files, they appear in your 'upload' section of the screen, at the bottom.

If there is a free upload slot, and you haven't limited them to x amount of files to download from you at once, their name should turn green and your machine will start uploading automatically.

If they queue at your end, they will apper as orange.  You can start their transfer by right clicking on their name and choosing 'start transfer'

wewil729

queing
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 05:55:54 am »
wewil 729

Have a related question about queing. When the queue number for a particular item drops down to one and then sits there indefinitely, what is the problem and is there anything that can be done to actually start the download? Other than messaging the source, I mean...I am not too inclined to get into any discussions involving a lot of computerese...I don't have the background. And at the age of 76, I don't think I'm going to have the time to be acquiring any. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
queueing
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 08:24:17 am »
Apart from messaging no, there's no control at all over if you start or not.

The issue itself is that the user may be using the 0 slots hack, you could try a whois to determine this  the transfer status will end (.... of 0 available)  in such cases your download would only ever start if the user started you manually..

Some users, particularly file traders use this to control who gets what, personally I don't like it much as a tactic & have my queue manager set to put anyone using it on ignore if they try to download off me.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

wewil729

queing
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 01:24:13 pm »
Thanks very much for your quick, clear reply. Had heard the term "zero hack" before, but never understood what it was. Now see how it could apply in  my case...thanks again.  wewil

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  queueing

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx