gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 08:35:41 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  General PC Aid  |  loss of connectivity by application on win7
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: loss of connectivity by application on win7  (Read 5711 times)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
loss of connectivity by application on win7
« on: September 05, 2015, 08:21:45 am »
I have had issues for a few months about anything connected to the outside world drops all connectivity after running too long.

This includes winmx just getting a secondary, transfers. Also it happens to firefox, or any other thing I use such as a downloader.

It happens only on my computer, which I keep up to date via M$.

Stranger still, my roomies pc doesnt do that. It hasnt been updated at all for at least one year. It needs updating but with the way mine is acting I dont want to change it.

The ancient pc running win2k has no problem either. (hosting). This one doesnt lose all connectivity however. Connecting locally to the room pc, that never, ever drops.

It just happens when connected to the outside and only on this pc.

All computers behind a router before anything can go out or in.

I suspect a buggy update myself.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

It happens to me if I try to stay connected by any app for lets say 24 hours.

Its annoying to try to download large files that take a long time when the thing suddenly stops responding.

As I said, it invvolves any and all things that require a long term connection, except locally...

I can fix it only by exiting the offending program and restarting it. If I do that, suddenly it works again.

Re: loss of connectivity by application on win7
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 12:57:14 pm »
do you need to restart the computer to get the connection going again or just that app?

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 06:06:40 am »
Just have to exit and restart the app. Other things running are not affected when another decides to do this.

I had let winmx run primary for a few days, because I forgot to go secondary and forgot all about it going, busy with other things. Checked back 4 days later and it was still working nicely.

If I let it go as secondary it will stop any connections at all (including the wpn and cacheservers) after a little over one day.

If I download some large file on FF or a download manager which takes over a day or so,, the same thing happens.on that too.

It is by application itself. One doesnt change the other. One can stop working, while the other keeps going. It all depends on how long the app has been running the download..

When that happens on FF, it refuses to even work on the DNS lookup. Browsing is impossible.

Its very weird also that retaining a local connection to another pc works just fine, forever.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 07:34:11 am »
is it just that PC, does another computer do the same thing if winmx is running?

I've heard people experiencing the same thing with winmx, i think we all put it down to an effect of the malicious traffic.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 09:43:37 pm »
tbh.. primaries are having a hard time keeping connected to one another so its just better to use primary anyway... it'll spit random traffic everywhere but it works... ive seen a condition more than once where the primary would lose all contact with other primaries while keeping its 7 secondaries... which to the secondary would seem like it was offline of sorts... the condition will eventually cure itself but can go on for quite some time...

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 04:47:13 am »
No, my roomies one (hasnt been updated in years) and the room one (win2k so cant be updated) those 2 dont act that way.

Im supposed to update his computer, and remove the spiders, dust and dog hair sometime soon.

The way mine has been acting for several months, Im kinda not liking the idea of updating his.

Mine will do this without WinMX running at all. Download some huge file that takes a day or two, no matter if its on firefox or any other download manager... In fact, if I do just leave fifrefox running over a bunch of pages, something that I normally dont do, firefox itself will not be able to connect to anything until I close it totally and start it back up again, even if its not actually downloading anything.

Sorry abt my delay on responding to this. Im busy all the time doing other things and get little sit down and do computer time lately.

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 09:51:01 am »
Assuming the problematic pc is Ethernet connection, try disabling wireless (if it has a wireless adapter)

Enable or disable your wireless in your operating system
Windows 7 and Windows 8

Click on Start
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on Network and Internet
    Click on Network and Sharing Center
    Choose Change adapter settings on the Task pane
    Right-click on Wireless Network Connection
    Select Disable

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:40:00 pm »
when firefox refuses to do anything, will it open a local file? is it just connectivity to the outside or the program refusing to go and get stuff in general?
eg save a text file as html and see if you can open that

do you have any spare ram you could switch out and see if it still does the same thing?

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:19:55 am »
Well, this thing seems have to fixed itself.

I saw somewhere on the Googles that tuning off ipv6 in your network connection stops this from happening. I did that months ago. It didnt work.

Later on I turned off ipv6 on the other software on this thing...  Vmware, 2 more virtual network connections.
Then did the same to the router pc which does pfsense.

I havent seen the problem happen since.

I still dont know why my roomates pc doesnt have the issue. Except that his doesnt have Vmware installed.

Maybe it was just a Vmware bug.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 09:23:02 am »
And yes at toad, it would connect and open anything locally. HTML or even another computer on the LAN. It was an outside only thing.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  General PC Aid  |  loss of connectivity by application on win7

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx