gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 08:17:27 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  SHA-1 Retirement Could Prevent Millions of Users from Accessing Websites
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SHA-1 Retirement Could Prevent Millions of Users from Accessing Websites  (Read 931 times)

Millions of users could find themselves unable to access websites with
certificates signed only with the SHA-2 cryptographic algorithm.
Several major browser makers have indicated that they are considering
retiring the SHA-1 as soon as June 2016.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3014162/security/sha-1-cutoff-could-block-millions-of-users-from-encrypted-websites.html

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: SHA-1 Retirement Could Prevent Millions of Users from Accessing Websites
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:39:42 am »
I wonder why this is being pushed ? Do they know something we dont ?

My other concern here is theres no mention of which sha 1 block sizes are suggested to be vulnerable, this important factor alone makes quite a wide difference in the time to any vulnerability, yet this article skips over this very important aspect, another troubling sign of uncertain haste.

[update] I have just popped over to the wiki for a crash course in all of this and it seems as though even sha2 is a bit of a future liability however for now its ok as is sha1, the concerns been that a few recent theoretical attacks have shown that given lots of money and plenty of time someone "may" soon be able to make a message with the same hash as another, this then is the vulnerability they are scared of and whilst its not ever been seen in the wild yet they are trying to stay ahead of the fire, sha3 is likely a better bet if your looking for long term protection however.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
Re: SHA-1 Retirement Could Prevent Millions of Users from Accessing Websites
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 01:18:59 pm »
is sha2050 not being prepared yet?
what worries me much more is the way our systems are classified as outdated and backward compatibility is dropped sooner and sooner

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  SHA-1 Retirement Could Prevent Millions of Users from Accessing Websites

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx