gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 12:53:37 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New Remote Desktop client could almost make me a Continuum believer
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Remote Desktop client could almost make me a Continuum believer  (Read 1028 times)

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/01/new-remote-desktop-client-could-almost-make-me-a-continuum-believer/

One of Windows 10 Mobile's truly distinctive and unusual features is Continuum. If you hook a phone up to a screen and, optionally, a mouse and keyboard, you can run desktop-style apps, albeit still powered by the phone. The connection to the screen and other peripherals can be wireless, using Miracast and Bluetooth, or wired, using the USB 3 Display Dock.

While the novelty of this is appealing, I'm not altogether sure that it's ever going to be a major selling point. There are a couple of reasons: first, it requires quite specific hardware (although Miracast with Bluetooth is quite widely available); second, it requires Universal Windows Apps that specifically enable the ability to run on a large screen.

I've been waiting for this since the iphone 3. For business people, to come into the office, pop your phone in a dock and theres your computer. A lot of businesses run thin clients anyway, why can't a phone run the screen and peripherals.
Obviously content creators and cad designers or other power users wouldn't be able to do it that way, but for the average partially mobile desk jockey i don't know why it hasn't already happened.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: New Remote Desktop client could almost make me a Continuum believer
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:56:31 am »
didnt motorola make a phone with a laptop dock... the xoom i think? ... it was short lived...

anyway... this wouldnt completely turn a phone into a desktop machine... unless it had an intel cpu...

Re: New Remote Desktop client could almost make me a Continuum believer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 08:28:55 pm »
for a business running vm's and thin clients, as long as the phone can run the remoted connection viewer, I would think it would work fine. The server running the vm does all the heavy lifting.

my daughter has a samsung all in one running windows 8 I think, seems an ok desktop machine on an atom

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New Remote Desktop client could almost make me a Continuum believer

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx