gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 02:01:20 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  WinMx and VPN
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMx and VPN  (Read 6248 times)

Offline Lazarus2112

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
WinMx and VPN
« on: March 17, 2016, 04:40:11 pm »
Hi  i would like to know if anyone is succesfully using winMX 2.6 with  a VPN service as i cannot seem to find any information about this subject  having googled the subject and briefly looking through this site's post's
Any information gratefully received   :)

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: WinMx and VPN
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 02:37:15 pm »
All WinMX versions will work through a VPN. Note you must use the VPN on the operating system as WinMX (like most applications) do not support VPN's natively.

Offline Lazarus2112

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 08:00:49 am »
Hi and thanks for the response  :)    i have been trying unsuccesfully to get WinMX working but the VPN is router based and being as you point out vpn  must be on the Computer then this would explain the  problems  WinMX will download from a user but i am unable to upload to anyone so i am unable to share and as such the program effectively becomes useless  :cry:

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 05:57:26 am »
You can use VPN's on a router with WinMX. It works fine.

However you must forward the ports you use with WinMX. Your VPN provider may offer port forwarding (p2p friendly ones do) you must activate this feature so that the port is forwarded to your router where the VPN client is running. You must also open the port on the router to point to your internal computer IP on your LAN.

Also you can use the same port number for both UDP and TCP on WinMX if your VPN provider only allows a single port to be forwarded (which is common with VPN providers).

Offline Lazarus2112

• Forum Member
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 08:32:56 am »
Hi Pri   having read your information about port forwarding   via the router etc i have had tech help from the VPN service provider i use over many weeks and still have not been able to use WinMX correctly as described above in the OP i can connect to users but they cannot connect to me the methods you describe in this post where tried and more and it still does not work at this point i concluded everything had been done to fix this issue including using other clients to test the ip config i also tried a proxy addy i use elsewhere with great success but this also failed to work with MX.

If you have more details to add to help me with this problem please PM  i would love to fix this issue and get MX working again . 

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 05:19:28 pm »
Sorry for the delayed response I don't heck the forums very often.

Which VPN client are you using? And if you're using one on your Router, which router is it and which VPN client does the router include? - Also what kind of VPN connection are you making (OpenVPN, PPTP etc). And finally does your VPN provider support port forwarding? - Also keep in mind if you use port forwarding but connect to the VPN server from multiple computers it won't work as their server needs to know which client to forward the port to. So for example if you have a mobile phone using the same VPN server as your Desktop/Laptop where you're running WinMX the port forwarding will fail. All the devices need to be on separate servers or use your router as the only VPN client.

This VPN stuff can be quite complicated especially when you want to forward ports, connect multiple devices, maybe use a router for it and so on. I've subscribed to this topic so I will get an email when you reply and I'll check back at that time.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  WinMx and VPN

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx