gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 07:40:04 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Dutch UseNet Providers Ordered To Reveal Named Uploaders Identities
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dutch UseNet Providers Ordered To Reveal Named Uploaders Identities  (Read 1761 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Another day another network..

https://torrentfreak.com/court-orders-usenet-providers-expose-prolific-pirates-160622/

On behalf of several large book publishers, Dutch anti-piracy group BREIN had requested the personal details of two anonymous users who allegedly uploaded more than 2,000 books to newsgroups.
The Usenet providers terminated the accounts but refused to hand over any personal details. Instead, they claimed that they are not allowed to share personal data under e-Privacy regulations if an account is no longer active.

BREIN disagreed and took the matter to court. They argued that the book publishers’ right to protect their content trumps the privacy concerns of the Usenet uploaders in this case.
In an order issued today the Court of Haarlem agrees with this assessment. As a result, the two providers are required to hand over the IP-addresses, payment info, and any other personal information they have on file.

As with any centralised mechanism of file exchange the door is always left open for over zealous rightsholders to turn their legal firepower on the weakest link in the chain. Once again they have done so it seems.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
Re: Dutch UseNet Providers Ordered To Reveal Named Uploaders Identities
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:22:15 pm »
bit weird story
I understand two anonymous usenet users have uploaded more then 2000 books to newsgroups.
the usenet provider has terminated the usnet accounts
I wonder where brein whipped up the number of 2000 books, are that titles, are that copies(not very likely) or breins thick thumb as they are used to use many times?
and then, a dutch usenet provider?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:40:49 pm »
Dutch Usenet providers Eweka and Usenetter

I agree Wonderer they do seem to make the figures up as they go along but theres little fact checking anywhere from what I can see , most of the reports just copy the others, wouldnt surprise me if they uploaded them themselves as goes on in the torrent world simply to gain some advantage in an anti piracy negotiation.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:19:18 am »
simply to gain some advantage in an anti piracy negotiation.
that describes brein best

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Dutch UseNet Providers Ordered To Reveal Named Uploaders Identities

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx