gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 05:11:50 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX without Windows  |  Problems with resizing the wiinmx window under wine
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Problems with resizing the wiinmx window under wine  (Read 7632 times)

Offline dabud

• MX Hosts
Problems with resizing the wiinmx window under wine
« on: January 16, 2015, 02:59:20 am »
Did a fresh install of OS 13.2 over xmas and all [Wine/Winmx]was working fine, until yesterday. 
I was not happy with having to adjust the Winmx window size every time I restarted Winmx. 
So I clicked on the icon at the top left of the winmx window and went to  >More Actions>Special Application Settings>Size and Position window opened. 
I proceeded to adjust the starting window position and size to what I thought I would like it to be.
I changed that only and OK'd out. 
I tried to restart Winmx and could not get it started [I only got the "Winmx has encountered a serious error... "  msg.]
I went back into "  More Actions>Special Application Settings>Size and Position window" and tried to 'UNDO' what I changed, but Winmx still would not start.
In desperation, I uninstalled and reinstalled Winmx.  Still the same error MSG.
 I opened Wine config and in the graphics section I changed it to "Emulate a Virtual Desktop".  I tried starting winmx and it started.
I changed it back to "Let the window manager control things" and got the error MSG again.
I changed it back to  "Emulate a Virtual Desktop" again and it worked. 
(WTH)
I have never run Winmx under these conditions before, I always let the Window manager control things before. 
Is this a Wine to Linux problem?
Is the Linux window manager causing these problems? I have never fooled around with these things. [Adjusting window sizes]
Is there a downside to running Winmx in a Virtual ?
Is there a way to fix this, so that Winmx  runs thru the Window Manager?
Should I have started this as a new thread?

*nylly edit:  yes - I've done it for you ;)
Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, openSUSE Leap 15.0 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.12.8
Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, opensuse Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5.17.0

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Problems with resizing the wiinmx window under wine
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 04:50:31 am »
have you ever seen winmx running on a windows 7 machine? that little thumbnail in the taskbar isnt there... the UI components of winmx are ancient... as windows programs change, wine will get more complex.. and some of the older stuff just wont work right...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Re: Problems with resizing the wiinmx window under wine
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 04:54:57 am »
have you ever seen winmx running on a windows 7 machine? that little thumbnail in the taskbar isnt there... the UI components of winmx are ancient... as windows programs change, wine will get more complex.. and some of the older stuff just wont work right...

...personally i have winmx running in a windows xp vm so all the little toys, like leechammer, play nice without bothering my actual desktop...

Offline dabud

• MX Hosts
Re: Problems with resizing the winmx window under wine
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:47:10 pm »
winmx running on a windows 7 machine? that little thumbnail...
on my other machine, which is windows 7, when I run Winmx that thumbnail is there in the taskbar/systray or in hidden icons
...personally i have winmx running in a windows xp vm so all the little toys, like leechammer, play nice without bothering my actual desktop..
is it possible to run  "all the little toys" if I leave Winmx in the vm thru wine [as described in OP]?

From my OP
Is this a Wine to Linux problem?
Is the Linux window manager causing these problems? I have never fooled around with these things. [Adjusting window sizes
Should I be taking these questions to the Winehq forums for answers?  or where else?

Since I have started using Winmx - seems like a lifetime ago - 15 or 20 years ago - all thru the different OSes i have used, this error msg [Winmx has encountered a serious error...] has been appearing.  Can anyone tell me why it occurs and how to correct it?  I am getting it now in the wine vm.  It is annoying beyond belief at times because, of course, there is nothing to do but reboot winmx to get rid of it!

On another note:  Will Winmx ever be replaced with "ourMx".  Is "ourMx" ready to use by ordinary users, yet?

Thanks
Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, openSUSE Leap 15.0 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.12.8
Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, opensuse Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5.17.0

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 04:16:52 pm »
This is all I get with Windows 8 for the thumbnail thing. I think it was the same with Windows 7 like Silver said.

Personally I don't get the "WinMX has encountered a serious error..." thing. Sometimes I have WinMX running for 50 days without incident. It has crashed on me so long ago I can't even remember when the last time was. The only issue I have with it is when the 32-bit uptime tick counter gets full (49.7 Days of uptime) that WinMX shits itself and has to be restarted to make its UI functional.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 09:36:09 pm »
When OurMX is ready for another release, it will be announced.

Offline Plum

• Core
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:55 am »
If it is acting funny on Wine, it should be tested on ReactOS too.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 03:40:19 pm »

the networking functions of reactos are... uh.... less than perfect... this would be easier said than done...

...altho i do have it installed in a vm... i'll try it later and if it works, post some screenshots...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 04:46:47 pm »
and here are some screenies of it running... it was not fun getting it to work and the OS bluescreened when i exited winmx... reactos is still very unfinished...

Offline Plum

• Core
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 06:56:21 pm »

the networking functions of reactos are... uh.... less than perfect... this would be easier said than done...

...altho i do have it installed in a vm... i'll try it later and if it works, post some screenshots...

That is for sure. They were using a mixture of their own and LwIP, though they were supposed to be moving more toward LwIP so the code there would be more consistent.

Are you sure you tried a recent version? You should try a recent trunk build. The reason I ask is that it looks like the old explorer.exe is in use in the screenshots.

The crashing tends to show that maybe the memory manager needs more work.

I keep up with ROS, but it needs a lot more work, and more able developers who are willing to volunteer.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 12:14:07 am »
Are you sure you tried a recent version?

its version 0.3.17 .... the current 'release' ... ive honestly yet to see a version that uses the new shell...

Offline Plum

• Core
  • I love WinMX!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:37:54 am »
Are you sure you tried a recent version?

its version 0.3.17 .... the current 'release' ... ive honestly yet to see a version that uses the new shell...

No, the new shell was added to the daily builds, not an official release. It has been in the trunk since 11/26 of last year. But I wouldn't try any trunk revision immediately after the new ROS Explorer merge. (By Explorer, we mean explorer.exe that does the GUI and the taskbar, not the Internet.) The reason I say to not go that far back is because there were some "ah s**t" bugs. As you may know, they use as much WINE code as they can, but it has to diverge in certain places since it has almost a Windows kernel. Well, they forgot to exclude some code from the WINE-syncs, so Windows compatible code was replaced with WINE code, and non-English users couldn't use it. Gigahertz tried hard to find why the localization code wasn't working and then found the code to handle that was overwritten by a WINE-sync. The syncs are usually a good thing, since if the WINE team improves code or makes things closer to Windows, then that is effort the ROS team won't need to take. The more code they can farm out to other FOSS projects, the more they can concentrate on what is left.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX without Windows  |  Problems with resizing the wiinmx window under wine

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 26 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx