gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 09:33:31 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  Real WinMX extra bugs.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Real WinMX extra bugs.  (Read 6936 times)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
Real WinMX extra bugs.
« on: December 04, 2018, 02:47:47 am »
Howdy gents.

Since getting true high speed internet, I have seen some odd behavior on winmx.
The graphic part on bandwidth for one. After a certain speed it decides to chop off the first digit on the left side where the numbers are.
Worse though. I have uploaded to 2 people at the same time splitting the speed equally. One person got the file completed at 800 MB in 8 minutes. The other person is still at the same speed as reported by winmx, but its 400 meg 5 hours to wait.

Both of these uploads winmx says were going at 20k.

So megabitish upload speed to one but not the other, both reported by winmx as the same speed. (slow)

WinMX bugs seem to go beyond the simple WPN issue.

The thing needs to be remade anyway. Doesnt matter if the flood attacks have stopped. Plenty of bugs remain.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: Real WinMX extra bugs.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 03:58:27 am »
Of course plenty of bugs remain, no software written by man is bug free :P

But those kinds of bugs are not "deal breakers" the software functions, those are what we could consider visual bugs. A larger issue with the program is its use of GetTickCount() a 32-bit Windows timer that after 49.7 days, resets to 0 and causes WinMX to completely flip out and become unusable until restarted.

Anyway as for the speed issue, I run a few 1Gb/s servers on WinMX and the issues are mainly down to disk access issues. The caching size for file chunks is not large enough causing disk thrashing and WinMX relies too heavily on its dat files which seemingly are read and written to constantly while the program is open.

If these dat files are on the same disk that is being accessed for file transfers it causes all kinds of glitches due to the slow access of the dat files caused by the overloaded disk. I've found the program runs much better with high speed networks if you use an SSD as a result.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:07:47 am »
interesting would be to see how many re-sends are requested in the second upload. the speed can be to high for the receiver to handle and funny enough stays the transfer speed the same, no matter how many fails are encountered.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 04:52:07 am »
I discovered a new bug yesterday, this topic looks the newest discussing such matters so here it is..

The PM Chat window will lose text is you resize it during a conversation . the bug involved the loss of local text leaving the remote text mainly intact, strange but true  :lol:

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 04:57:25 am »
I noticed that PM bug also, I think it doesn't happen on Windows XP but does on Vista and newer. There's a few other visual bugs that only manifest on Vista and higher like the preview thumbnails in the taskbar for WinMX are blank, I think due to the libraries it uses when it was compiled are incompatible with the windows DWM preview renderer so it falls back to a compatibility only display mode.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 09:14:07 am »
This bug unfortunately does appear on XP also, thats where I spotted it , the base class for wrap around text is CEdit but this could be a RichEdit 2.0  problem also, I didnt dig into which library winmx uses with spy++ but its one of those two or some ownerdraw/subclassing of one of those.

Annoying whatever it is  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World Community  |  Winmxworld.com Strategic Directions  |  Real WinMX extra bugs.

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx