gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 08:27:42 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Issue Wannacry Patch for XP Sp3
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Microsoft Issue Wannacry Patch for XP Sp3  (Read 2973 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Microsoft Issue Wannacry Patch for XP Sp3
« on: May 24, 2017, 05:57:49 am »
Dspite the Wannacry worm hardly bothering XP users (windowa 7 users where the main recipients of the attack) MS have issued a patch to close the hole, how very nice of them.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55245

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
Re: Microsoft Issue Wannacry Patch for XP Sp3
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 08:03:13 am »
o.O
O.o
How unusual of them.
I have an XP on my homebrew DVR pc. Guess I should do an update.
(if update even connects anymore)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:40:39 am »
well, I found the standalone update, but this only is for updated to SP3 Mine is SP2.
I have updated to SP3 in the past, but that just made the pc almost useless, slow and crashy.
So reverted back to SP2. No patch for me I guess.
Why doesnt microsoft just give up and update anything and everything, that has the name microsoft on it?
They are ruining their own brand cause of greed.

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 11:01:55 pm »
i have a very old pc (17 years old) that has been running xp for many years. Recently i thought i would reformat, it had been a few years, then i remembered reading some people had tried windows 7 on very old machines and said it ran great, so i thought why not give it a try. Windows 7 does run great on my OLD machine, possibly even better than xp did. One little tweak i made was changing from best appearance to best performance. Been running a month now without any issues. Maybe worth experimenting on your xp machine  :)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 03:19:56 am »
a p4 (or amd equivalent... must support sse2+) w/ 1gig+ of ram will run a supported windows OS just fine... ... bonus if you have an amd athlon 64 (circa 2003?) you can run 64bit osen...

dunno what its like where you are but here a thrift store or even the dump one can find enough old pc hardware to put together a working machine capable of modern OS feats...

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 06:48:16 am »
The relic pc im running 7 on is p3 933 mhz and 512 MB ram... under the min requirements but still runs fine  (32-bit windows)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 01:36:52 pm »
Some of that old architecture is very useful for older music creation hardware, a friend was recently struggling to get his legacy stuff to work, win 7 virtual XP saved him but what of those using anything newer ????

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 05:31:06 pm »
It seems some Chinese folks are the rogues in this latest episode ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40085241

New analysis suggests Chinese-speaking criminals may have been behind the WannaCry ransomware that affected thousands of organisations worldwide.

Researchers from Flashpoint looked at the language used in the ransom notice, they said the use of proper grammar and punctuation in only the Chinese versions indicated the writer was "native or at least fluent" in Chinese.
The translated versions of the ransom notice appeared to be mostly "machine translated".

The WannaCry ransom note could be displayed in 28 different languages, but only the Chinese and English versions appeared to have been written by humans.

I think it was already clear to most folks that English at least wasnt the mother tongue of the exploiters, i wonder if Google keeps records of its online translations, it seems to store everything else  :suspious:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 05:44:28 pm »
but what of those using anything newer ??

when you buy into windows you get what you pay for... ....i used a lot of freeware shareware and nagware cos i wasnt paying for software on windows... last time i invested a large amount of money into something windows centric it was a special edition of a game ported from playstation to pc.. $80 (in 1997 money) and it doesnt work on anything newer than windows 98, its also the reason i dont buy pc games anymore and own a playstation...

also own an HP scanner than wont work in win7 cos there are 'no drivers'.... works great in linux....

corporate windows environments i can only imagine are absolute nightmares... insanely expensive CNC machines that use ISA cards... vista+ dropped support for ISA.... which dropped support for a -lot- of old hardware from the musical to the industrial...

then you have hospitals .. "sorry this MRI machine is not supported by this version of windows... please contact your hardware vendor for a new machine"....

ok, ok... </rant>

Offline RebelMX

• Core
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 07:01:31 pm »
Working in a hospital its amusing the outside view on systems in the NHS.  We are running all out desktop machine on windows 7 and runs well actually - including docking/undocking laptops, changing wifi locations, different networks across different sites.

That said, we do have some old systems.  The best is our old pathology system which avoided the attacks - its running on MS DOS...

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 11:17:27 pm »
system which avoided the attacks - its running on MS DOS..

most likely not networked? if it is i highly doubt todays hackers would be able to identify the machine let alone infect it with something.. ..if its not networked then... well.. its DOS... which is easy to crash but really hard to really break...

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 07:03:33 am »
@ Stripes   theres a program called vuescan which might get that old scanner working. I put it on my dads win 7 machine a few years back to get his old 2001 epson scanner running. Its not free but u know....    ;)

https://www.hamrick.com/

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 05:26:18 pm »
@ Stripes   theres a program called vuescan which might get that old scanner working. I put it on my dads win 7 machine a few years back to get his old 2001 epson scanner running. Its not free but u know....    ;)

https://www.hamrick.com/

i'll give it a peek for curiosities sake but i dont use windows anymore except for 98SE on oldschool hardware and an XP VM... the daily driver machines are all linux... i was dual booting linux and win7 but after some software replacements i found i simply no longer needed windows... wine runs winmx just fine if you ever get bit by the penguin yourself...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Microsoft Issue Wannacry Patch for XP Sp3

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx