gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 10:05:28 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Kim Dot Com Sues NZ Govt For Billions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kim Dot Com Sues NZ Govt For Billions  (Read 1349 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Kim Dot Com Sues NZ Govt For Billions
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:28:15 pm »
The Dot Com story is way old but still drawing breath as the legal battles continue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42773038

Kim Dotcom, the founder of file-sharing site Megaupload, is suing the New Zealand government for billions of dollars in damages over his arrest in 2012.
The internet entrepreneur is fighting extradition to the US to stand trial for copyright infringement and fraud. Mr Dotcom says an invalid arrest warrant negated all charges against him. He is seeking damages for destruction to his business and loss of reputation.

Accountants calculate that the Megaupload group of companies would be worth $10bn (£7.2bn) today, had it not been shut down during the raid. As he was a 68% shareholder in the business, Mr Dotcom has asked for damages going up to $6.8bn. He is also considering taking similar action against the Hong Kong government.

Cases are won and lost on the fine detail of each case and this long running saga is no exception, it will be interesting to see just what the NZ Govt will counter-attack with and how far this new legal episode will continue given the vast sums being claimed, will they play nice or turn to something more powerful in the Govt's legal arsenal ?

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: Kim Dot Com Sues NZ Govt For Billions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 11:13:42 am »
I always thought this case was quite odd. YouTube has 100000000x more copyrighted content on it without the copyright owners permission but they don't go after Google, you don't find the CEO's of Google locked up do you? - Instead they go after the individual uploaders, doing copyright strikes and in some cases taking them to court.

My point is, why is it that in this case they chose to go after the platform operator instead of the individual users uploading the content? Megaupload was not a piracy centric site, just like YouTube is not. They had issues with piracy but they also had a DMCA takedown system that they operated and even gave the movie studios the ability to remove content themselves with zero oversight.

To me it seems like a rather large breach of the protections offered to service providers. If you're an ISP you don't get sued or go to prison because your customers are uploading pirated material. It's like how far back do you get to start making charges, why not charge the ISP, Electricity Provider and the company that sold the pirate the computer?

At the end of the day when you post copyrighted works on the internet that's your responsibility as an individual, not the companies whose services you're using or misusing to spread the content. I personally have a dim view of copyright in general which is for a whole other discussion but my point is, there are copyright laws and if you break them it should be on you and not on innocent third parties like megaupload.

I've seen some people argue that megaupload encouraged this usage of their service by splitting ad revenue with people who uploaded popular content, thus encouraging people to upload movies and tv shows to get paid. To that I say, doesn't YouTube do the exact same thing? Why isn't Sergey Brin in a jail cell huh?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Kim Dot Com Sues NZ Govt For Billions

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx