gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 01:15:47 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Disconcerting Issue With New Network
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Disconcerting Issue With New Network  (Read 2014 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Disconcerting Issue With New Network
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:22:57 am »
I havent named the network since I dont wish to encourage folk's go there at this time, but you will all know the one I mean (I hope :lol:)

Like some of you I have been running tests and making usage of their new client &  forum but it seems if you wish to post anything un flattering the posts are "lost", even worse theres no one bothering to reply to you.

I know things are quiet here but each and every one of you know that your voice is heard here and for good or bad will be replied to and answers given to your questions, this is because without you all theres no network and in that respect your all important to me and each other, for this reason I will no longer bother with the new network and will soley concentrate on what should be going on here, after all whilst we may not always see eye to eye on some issues you all know where this sites heart is at and why we dont have buttons for donations etc.

There's still work going on here and I do recognise that it seems quiet on the public side of the fence but I have priorised that main work over entertaining anyone, I hope you all still agree this is the best usage of the limited time I can deliver to you all, I wont be casting any judgements on those continuing to use the new network but I dont see any future for it given the lack of interest in the userbase, that is a serious no-no in my book.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: Disconcerting Issue With New Network
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 12:40:59 am »
problem with this 'older' network however is the glut of 3rd party stuff needed to give it basic functionality that other networks (pick one) have built in... like rejoining channels when the chat server or primary connection has a brainfart...

native ports are also nice ... again pick your network... there is most likely a linux and/or mac port available... ...try running winmx on wine for a few months and tell me your experience...

winmx is an 'old friend' but if it were a car it would be that 1960s model that has no power steering or power brakes and A/C wasnt even an option... ...and like that old car it is a major pain to keep running (if i have to restore settings.dat again im going to scream) but it keeps you in contact with your other 'old car' loving friends...

...you should also take a peek here; http://www.gotnap.com/index.php/list to see how even older networks are doing..

also
I wont be casting any judgements on those continuing to use the new network but I dont see any future for it given the lack of interest in the userbase,

i see no long term future for the 'old' one.. the 'new' one is in its infancy and has a developer that can take feature requests and make bug fixes instead of needing yet another .dll injection from a different developer/piece of software... the ourmxworld site is gone, the info on this site for the clone was last updated 2014, and the old hats are all old and tired and the young grew up into a profession that takes all time away from possible development of the clone... ...and lets not forget the clone was built for windows, not portability... it needs wine too...

and as far as seeming quiet? its completely silent.. no noise at all.. my tinnitus is a roaring gale in comparison... you post a 'all is well' message every now and again but... tbh ive lost faith in anything but the old client continuing to scoot along for as long as the userbase still has interest and windows and wine still support it... the clone wont be a thing before the 'new' network has the features the ppl on the 'old' one want...

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:43:17 am »
I cannot dispute many of your complaints Stripes as they have the ring of truth to them but without volunteer staff to help I dont see any alternative to some of the things you have complained about.

We still own the ourmxworld domain its simply parked up, theres no one to run it  and the decision was taken that given we had not acheived the scale and speed of any open src releases it was just a waste of effort.

I agree we should be heading towards a fresh outlook and looking to deliver something that others can enjoin with however as I have made clear many times on the other forum site without actual developers to do work theres no moving ahead and we dont have those in abundance, we dont even have anyone to assist the developers when extra hands are required for testing, apathy lies at the root of many of the issues you have mentioned and the community seems unwilling to do anything to secure itself a future in real terms.

One point of note I will simply point out is that over at the other place you have no guarantees the guy isnt going to take off when the going gets tough, I took the liberty to enquire there about such matters but those posts get lost also, thats why I drew folks attention to this matter, we will tick along here and will make some strides ahead in due course its simple mathematics but as noted it wont be at any speed of relevance to those looking for the promised land, we will however all be able to take a part in what we have unlike many of the other networks that are closed src. 

PS: I was using Opennap the other day and the networks I was using do not appear on the gotnap site so dont be mislead into thinking theres nothing there as thats simply not the case.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 12:41:19 pm »
I stopped hosting my room on Fopnu a while ago because the progress was slow and the update method annoying. I do see it as a promising future for all of us but not for a few years at best. And he may give up sooner than that if it doesn't grow a strong community.

We have to face facts that Fopnu isn't being built in a vacuum. Streaming sites both paid and illegal have taken up 90% of the users who would be the kinds of people usually interested in traditional P2P (like WinMX/Fopnu/Kazaa/Napster etc). And the remaining 10% is taken up by file lockers and Bittorrent.

This kind of P2P we're using is like 0.01-0.02% of use now so it's an extreme long shot that it will ever gain the numbers of users needed to keep a developer interested. I know for myself if I didn't have my room on WinMX I would have left the community a long time ago, that is my one and only anchor to the community and I certainly don't use the program to download any files and haven't done so for many years.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 05:36:36 pm »
Hmm we most certainly have gone off the mainstream radar but in reality we all know its the chat rooms that deliver the most benefit to the folks on this network, filesharing is fun but learning new things and speaking to those whom have knowledge or experience in other areas of life still delivers a key reason for this networks existence, back in the day I used to spend much time listening to folks problems and issues and making suggestions for the way ahead, those folks might have moved on but good advice & help with learning new skills and trades and just being a decent ear are key attributes and they are on this network in abundance, whatever else we dont have, friendships and bonds of trust are here in plentiful supply  :yes:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 02:10:49 am »
I know for myself if I didn't have my room on WinMX I would have left the community a long time ago

..and if it wasnt for that room i wouldnt be using winmx ... heh..

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 11:52:47 am »
Any room can increase its potential growth if theres a decent host putting in effort, many folks have their own reasons for running rooms and some operate a chat room to gather certain types of users or users with specific opinions or views, others are targetted at simply making certain files (or file types) accessible in a more efficient way.

This diversity is what allows the community to experience a form of "ebb & flow" wherein as one "flavour" becomes popular at any specific time other "flavours" will either assume the most popular position in due course ...or not depending on the whims of the collective userbase, and thats the best form of democracy you can get folks, we all vote with our presence and express our dislike or distate with our lack of it.

The current chat room position is fairly stable and thus the sky is not yet falling in even if it feels a bit light on the ground to some of the old timers from this networks heyday, it is what it is and its free, what more need be said.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 11:56:00 pm »
Shame there isn't more large rooms like there used to be.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 05:35:57 pm »
there are still some rooms with more than a few members and I have been down for a few hours due to a needed modem reset, to factory status was needed according to the technician, anyway I was almost immediate pointed at the fact my room was down :)
digging through code and deep into memory to open proper ports again.
Also, the far east part of the winmx network seems to be rather busy but no new developments there

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Disconcerting Issue With New Network

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx