gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 07:26:34 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  YouTube Removes Videos Glamourising Violence At UK Top Cop's Request
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: YouTube Removes Videos Glamourising Violence At UK Top Cop's Request  (Read 1788 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
A bold move.in response to Police concerns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44281586
YouTube says it has deleted more than half of the 'violent' music videos which the country's most senior police officer asked it to take down.
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick has blamed some videos for fuelling a surge in murders in London, singling out drill music. Drill originated in Chicago. Its biggest breakout star is arguably Chief Keef, famous for his 2012 track I Don't Like.

The genre's lyrics often detail vivid accounts of taking drugs and violence.
She asked YouTube to delete content which glamorises violence. More than 30 clips have so far been removed.

You have to be pretty weak minded to want to emulate murdering or assaulting your fellow human being's based on listening to any form of music but on the off chance some poor victim is spared a taste of mindless violence I dont see a problem with this action.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
if you think censorship is ok because of the 'weak minded' you need to take a long hard look at count dankulas case... how 'weak minded' is it for a government to arrest someone for a tasteless joke?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
 I take the view that this is more a case of adult material than a free speech issue, sure if you want to pay your hard coin to listen to foks talking tough and swearing then help yourself but the fact of the matter is underage and impressionble kids treat this new low in "communication" as the new norm, must we race to the bottom of the barrel  each time just in case the idiot writing about easy violence might in a few millenia have something creative or  enlightening to say, and lets be clear he can still swear all he wants to his audience just not be smearing his output on the rest of us and our familys in a trivial fashion.

The other chap you referred to was able to say all he wanted, his free speech was not to my knowledge curtailed, it was the activity with the dog that got him in trouble and lets be fair its not exactly top level entertainment , more a simple click bait for hatebook users escapade gone wrong.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
As a parent we carefully monitor what media our kids consume. They never get unattended access to the internet or television. But I'm keenly aware that we as parents are in the minority and at some point your children will go outside on their own where you can't supervise who they're hanging around with and what media they're accessing through other kids mobile devices or home internet connections.

That's the reality. So it falls to the state, local government, police forces to step in and do some collaboration with content delivery networks like YouTube to make sure young impressionable kids aren't exposed to radical ideas such as these.

I am the sort of person that doesn't want censorship but I'm also a realist and know that some people are very weak minded and they have the capability to cause major harm and be heavily influenced by others. These videos that glorify gangs, murder, dealing drugs and owning guns only work to harm our social fabric.

If YouTube had a stronger vetting process to make sure viewers were old enough to view this content in its proper context I'd be fine with it staying, but their age verification system is but a question with no real checking being performed. So in my opinion the content should stay off YouTube. Let them upload it to places intended for this kind of content instead where it's harder to find and only those already in that scene can get it.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
it was the activity with the dog that got him in trouble and lets be fair its not exactly top level entertainment
in the US that activity would fall under freedom of speech, the government would literally have no legal footing since freedom of speech is a constitutional right... so as you can imagine the 'nazi pug' case is an incredibly chilling thought to those of us that live in the US...

as for the 'violent' videos, they also fall under freedom of speech with the exception of actively inciting people to violence, specifically naming targets.... a music video wouldnt fall into that category --- take the song 'cop killer' by 'ice t' as an example; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgzo1fC49RY ... a government willing to remove that video we would call a "nanny state"... a heavily rejected ideology and methodology that, as you see, falls down a slippery slope into ppl getting arrested for stupid pet tricks.....

as for youtube age verification? thats not and never should be their place... nor should it be the governments responsibility to hide 'bad things' from your kids online... but thats my take on it... im just glad i dont live in the UK...

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
as for youtube age verification? thats not and never should be their place... nor should it be the governments responsibility to hide 'bad things' from your kids online... but thats my take on it... im just glad i dont live in the UK...

Bit of a low blow that don't you think? - YouTube removes plenty of American content from YouTube that they deem not age appropriate. They also demonetise many channels that show guns or how to clean and operate guns safely because it doesn't fit their ideology.

YouTube != Government.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Each group of citizens around the world ask their leaders for social changes that are important to them and based on these wishes a govt will select some that they feel will gain them popularity and further support, things are ciearly different in the US and the UK and so it should be.

Policies of the police are substantially directed from central govt and reflected in most communities simply because they police by consent, if the police feel theres a problem its likely that its been previously documented as such and in such a case the ideals of UK society trump those of what other countries may say about a given situation, theres much that local citizens will hate about their neighbours local decisions but lets be positive and see that as a strength of diversity rather than us all marching to one drumbeat, there is no perfect society and the constant regional tweaking often helps to define a more commonly supported generality.

I dont support wanton violence nor deprivation that sparks the mindset often seen in those proffering violence, leaving some space in life for the next persons wishes ensures we treat each other fairly and with respect, like the uk or not its your choice, conversely our laws to protect as many folks as possible  from the propagation of conceptual material promoting a disrespect for the lives of fellow human beings that may spur some emotionally unstable folks to enact violent activity are our choice, its not perfect but its better than the alternative of sitting by and picking up the damaged lives.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Bit of a low blow that don't you think?

its a low blow to your police that go after low hanging fruit on youtube for 'thought crime' but are literally afraid for their lives to enter what are essentially 'no go' zones in london and elsewhere due to immigration...

i low blow your governments out of a fear and concern for its people... i am not attacking its people...

as for googles policies... well ... thats a mess we are battling very hard over here... google has gone as far as to not hire white or asian men in favor of women and other races because they want to be 'politically correct' and have a 'diverse' workforce... there are a lot more problems with youtube than demonetization...  when google takes down videos for being 'bad' thats one thing... its their platform after all, doesnt mean we wont fight it, but it is theirs... but when the police get involved thats a whole other problem that should have never happened in the first place since it was apparently OK with youtube to have these videos online....

thats the point im trying to make... your police go after its own citizens for 'bad jokes' yet cant stop acid attacks in the streets... its not only an embarrassment but something to be very concerned about since it seems they are not really doing that great of a job... so news articles like this just piss me off because its not even remotely what i would call an effective use of the police force...

from the article;
Pressplay, a company that promotes drill music videos, said on its Instagram page that police had "forced" YouTube to take some clips down because of "what's happened lately".

But the same post said the clips "will probably be back up in the next few weeks".
emphasis mine

once on the internet always on the internet... we all know that here... ...now get your police some better weapons, body armor, and training so i dont have to hear of another person across the pond getting thrown off a roof, blinded by acid, or blown up while taking the train to work...

and before you ask, yes, i would be just as pissed at US police if they pulled this kind of crap instead of actually 'policing' and would make quite the stink of it... 

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
To clear up a small point here before its relevance is lost in time:

The fellow Dankula lives and was prosecuted in Scotland that yes is part of the UK but does have its own independent judiciary and laws that do not mirror those in the uk exactly, I point this out since its not really fair to blame the folks in the rest of the country for laws and the political will to prosecute the chap on those of us outside Scotland.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Bit of a low blow that don't you think?

its a low blow to your police that go after low hanging fruit on youtube for 'thought crime' but are literally afraid for their lives to enter what are essentially 'no go' zones in london and elsewhere due to immigration...

I live in London, no such places exist.

But based on you bringing up this no-go zone thing I think I know where you're getting your facts so there's no point going on as you can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  YouTube Removes Videos Glamourising Violence At UK Top Cop's Request

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx