gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 02:32:21 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Github Falls Into MicroSofts Clutches
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Github Falls Into MicroSofts Clutches  (Read 1460 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Github Falls Into MicroSofts Clutches
« on: June 04, 2018, 04:19:35 pm »
The lure of easy money eh folks  :/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44351214

Microsoft has announced it is to acquire the code-sharing site Github.
Github, based in San Francisco, is an online platform that allows coders to collaborate with each other on their work.
Microsoft said it was paying $7.5bn (£5.6bn) in stock to achieve the deal, which is due to be completed before the end of the year. It said Github would continue to operate independently.

One of the beneficiaries of the deal is the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, it took a $100m stake in the business six years ago - its biggest single investment at that time.
"Where [others] saw us 'overpaying', we saw a once-in-a-decade company," blogged its partner Peter Levine.
"Modern programming is about assembling code... as well as writing it, and code tends to belong in one place where it's easy to access and that place was, is, and will be Github.

This reminds me of the facebook scam, the users add the value by their contributuions and the money makers sell their backsides from under them. Unfortunately we see the same pattern again and again, when will any platforms users wake up to being exploited in this way  ? Have folks forgotten they are the real assets on sale not the corporate name and share price.

Prepare to be "assembled"  :ugly:

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
Re: Github Falls Into MicroSofts Clutches
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 12:42:22 pm »
It's a real shame. I use GitHub every single day as part of my main job and I use it for my own business too. I am really quite afraid of what Microsoft is going to do with it, GitHub has been losing money for quite some time and I am sure Microsoft will attempt to monetise it further than GitHub already has.

I fear it will become like SourceForge. Good news is we still have GitLab and BitBucket. Both of which are growing in momentum even before this news.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:46:32 pm »
We can only hope MS do something useful with the platform, I'm not sure how they will monetise this particular resource but they must have something in mind.

Offline Pri

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 02:47:16 am »
Introducing GitHub Home, GitHub Home Premium, GitHub Professional, GitHub Ultimate and GitHub Enterprise! :D

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 08:07:08 am »
. Good news is we still have GitLab and BitBucket.

give it time, those too will be assimilated... resistance is futile....

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Github Falls Into MicroSofts Clutches

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx