gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 02, 2024, 08:35:24 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  winmx beta crashing or not able to connect to the wpn
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: winmx beta crashing or not able to connect to the wpn  (Read 2245 times)

icedragon aka bughunter

winmx beta crashing or not able to connect to the wpn
« on: January 04, 2006, 01:35:38 am »
this problem effects win2k and xp and is a windows issue with how failed dns quieries are handled.....due to vladd and pies utter stupidty in allowing RIAA to conect to the wpn and therefore flood the network and over load primaries nt5 machines tie them selves up in knotts trying to connect .......1 st solution is in settins host name resolution instead of using winmx to resolve host names choose the option to use a external source, here simply enter in your isp primary dns server on port 53.....
second solution is to go to this web site http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
and download this patch  winxp_dnscache.zip
this will fix this issue.

Description: Patch Windows 2k/XP not to cache failed DNS entries. By default, when a DNS lookup fails (due to temporary DNS problems), Windows still caches the unsuccessful DNS query, and in turn fails to connect to a host regardless of the fact that the DNS server might be able to handle your lookup seconds later This patch fixes the problem by configuring the DNS client to continue sending queries to an unresponsive network.

i have successfully tested this on my beta which has now been online for days with no problems at all,,,,,note it also seems to help with dl and up load timeouts.......long live winmx  down with the pie fa****s

Offline InTheMx

• Forum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 03:05:16 pm »
I've been using this patch, winxp_dnscache.zip, for years and it works quite well. Never even thought about the benefits it would have in connection with WinMX. Good  :idea: !
To err is human, to forgive this computer... sooooo not me.

KM

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 03:39:06 pm »
shouldn't be any real differences with that registry entry, the only case where it should make a difference is if there is a temporary failure of multiple DNS servers then DNS resolution could be hampered a little, but winmx only uses DNS lookups when it first connects to find peer caches so shouldn't be effected anywhere else

icedragon aka bughunter

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 09:35:10 pm »
im not sure what to tell you km....all i did was look at packet captures as winmx beta tries to connect to the network.....like a great majority of users i was either getting  a crash of the beta thru ntdll.dll or it would sit in a endless loop trying to connect......after researching the problem i tried the registry patch as i have described....and not only did it stop the ntdll.dll from crashing but it connected to the wpn even as a secondry i get over 1700 rooms listing and as for files it has improved things so well on that side of the ledger i now have to run mxmonie......its gone from a transfer success rate of less then 30% to better then 95% .....what you say is normally perfectly true as far as dns is concerned....but i feel in light of the current tactics being employed by riaa and associates sometimes we have to think out side the square for a solution....

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  winmx beta crashing or not able to connect to the wpn

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx