gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 14, 2024, 09:51:40 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  WinMX Patch has Trojan?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMX Patch has Trojan?  (Read 2576 times)

Shaman

WinMX Patch has Trojan?
« on: January 07, 2006, 11:43:56 pm »
I just downloaded the Install-1.9.exe and UNA Anti-Virus tells me there is a Trojan inside it. TrojanDownloader.Win32.IstBar

Can anyone explain?

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
WinMX Patch has Trojan?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 02:34:30 am »
Hi Shaman,

No there is no trojan in the Installer, however that particular Trojan can invade other programs.

What Antivirus detected this?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
WinMX Patch has Trojan?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 02:36:42 am »
What program where you using that said this ?

I can assure you that no such trojan exists, this is another reason why I ask folks to only get there patch from the recognised site to be sure no one has tampered with it .

Make a rar or zip of that file and please come to the winmxworld room so I can check out myself.

KM

WinMX Patch has Trojan?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 02:45:38 am »
UNA Anti-virus? i would have to say i've never heard of it, however I can assure you if there was any virus in it then the "Pie" fools would have posted it all over the place by now, they would have a field day if something like that where to happen, and you would certainly hear about it extremely quickly, lol

however by googling "TrojanDownloader.Win32.IstBar" i get:

Downloader :  A program designed to retrieve and install additional files, when run. Most will be configured to retrieve from a designated web or FTP site.

is it coming up with it when winmx is run? if so it could incorrectly be detecting the block list download, although that would seem to be a rather flawed antivirus implementation if it just assumes every file download is a trojan

Anonymous

WinMX Patch has Trojan?
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 04:18:32 am »
Hi guys, thanks for the assurances. Sorry to be skeptical but ever since WinMX came back up I have often wondered if it was not some elaborate RIAA plot to somehow identify people. What better way than to modify WinMX itself to bleed out personal information of a user.

The copy of Install-1.9.exe was downloaded from this site earlier from this link,
https://www.winmxgroup.com/Install-1.9.exe

I used this service to check the file http://virusscan.jotti.org you upload the file to them and they check it with more than a dozen AV programs. Only UNA said it found the trojan.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
WinMX Patch has Trojan?
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 04:44:40 am »
Quote from: KM
however I can assure you if there was any virus in it then the "Pie" fools would have posted it all over the place by now, they would have a field day if something like that where to happen, and you would certainly hear about it extremely quickly, lol

Oh Km, ever the sceptic   :wink:

KM

WinMX Patch has Trojan?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 04:46:37 am »
do you deny that if any virus ever found its way in to the patch by accident (say my system got infected and i released an update) that within a matter of minutes it would be all over every forum and every pie supporting sites homepage? lol

of course that does mean my computer probably has the best virus detection possible, I just need to release an update every now and then it it would get scrutinised for even the slightest oddity by loads of people... lol

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
WinMX Patch has Trojan?
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 05:00:31 am »
This installer has the same md5 hash as it should, its a false positive :D

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
WinMX Patch has Trojan?
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 07:36:32 am »
Quote from: KM
do you deny that if any virus ever found its way in to the patch by accident (say my system got infected and i released an update) that within a matter of minutes it would be all over every forum and every pie supporting sites homepage? lol

I deny denying anything  :wink:

/me stops presses and prepares to insert the "km in shock patch virus horror" headline :D

Anonymous

WinMX Patch has Trojan?
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 12:23:26 pm »
Thanks for your time guys, I’m reassured it was a false positive and will install it next time I restart WinMX.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  WinMX Patch has Trojan?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx